Coming This Month: StarCraft II Closed Beta

• 126 results
Posted by Brad (3332 posts) -

That unholiest of corporate unions Activision Blizzard held one of those often fruitful earnings calls earlier today, and unless you're a current or potential investor I will now direct your attention to the single most important nugget of information in the whole shebang.  

Here, allow me to clarify.

Yes, after nearly a year of stops and starts, during which our feelings were collectively crushed numerous times, it would seem the StarCraft II beta will be ready for launch sometime in roughly the next couple of weeks. Of course, you'll need to have opted into the beta already through any number of means, including having gone to a previous BlizzCon or, I guess, knowing somebody at Blizzard.

There was some speculation that the beta was nigh after Blizzard started heavily promoting the new Battle.net yesterday with a big preview page and a video that you can watch below.

Who's stoked? Who's already in the beta? What would you do to get in, if you aren't yet? 
#1 Posted by Brad (3332 posts) -

That unholiest of corporate unions Activision Blizzard held one of those often fruitful earnings calls earlier today, and unless you're a current or potential investor I will now direct your attention to the single most important nugget of information in the whole shebang.  

Here, allow me to clarify.

Yes, after nearly a year of stops and starts, during which our feelings were collectively crushed numerous times, it would seem the StarCraft II beta will be ready for launch sometime in roughly the next couple of weeks. Of course, you'll need to have opted into the beta already through any number of means, including having gone to a previous BlizzCon or, I guess, knowing somebody at Blizzard.

There was some speculation that the beta was nigh after Blizzard started heavily promoting the new Battle.net yesterday with a big preview page and a video that you can watch below.

Who's stoked? Who's already in the beta? What would you do to get in, if you aren't yet? 
#2 Edited by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Hmm I only like Starcraft for its story. I was never one of those hardcore online players so a beta doesn't really interest me right now.

Looking forward more to the new Diablo :)

#3 Posted by yindotrunks (96 posts) -

still excited

#4 Posted by BackpackKat (464 posts) -

Sweet this means Blizzard will get closer to finishing StarCradt and move on to the game I care about Diablo III!!!!

#5 Posted by Fripplebubby (1028 posts) -

Wow, my pc can't run it DAMN DAMN DAMN

#6 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -

Meh.

#7 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

I pray to Bob every night that he'll send me a beta invite.

#8 Posted by mustachioeugene (521 posts) -

wow. seems like this game could finally, almost, soonish-ly be here.

#9 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Half-Beard must be pretty stoked about this.

#10 Posted by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -

BRAD!
STARCRAFT!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#11 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -

for a game that may never come out. a beta sounds awesome.

#12 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -

GOD YES!

#13 Posted by NoXious (1353 posts) -

Had to quickly check my Battle.Net account, sure am glad to see I still am registered for Beta and my specs are up-to-date.

I will be expecting my e-mail in 10 days, thank you very much.

#14 Edited by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

I'm about to drop the hammer!

Totally psyched, but.... only my work computer can handle it, I'm guessing. Hmmmm.

#15 Edited by Blood_for_the_blood_God (300 posts) -

since when do game reviewers determine the legitimacy of corporate mergers?

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

Oh man. I bet you kids are pumped for a sequel to Starcraft that will probably be the same game except with different units! I'm not.

#17 Posted by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -
@Blood_for_the_blood_God said:
" since when do game reviewers determine the legitimacy of corporate mergers? "
Brad is a dude who has opinions?
#18 Posted by Dontlooknow (26 posts) -

Hell its about time

#19 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I don't buy it.

#20 Edited by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -
@Dontlooknow said:

" Hell its about time "

#21 Posted by clubsammich (90 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
" Hmm I only like Starcraft for its story. I was never one of those hardcore online players so a beta doesn't really interest me right now.  Looking forward more to the new Diablo :) "
I doubt we will see anything new on Diablo 3 for a very long time:(. Anyways, I was never a huge fan of StarCraft's MP either.
#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12146 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Oh man. I bet you kids are pumped for a sequel to Starcraft that will probably be the same game except with different units! I'm not. "
Troll harder bro.
#23 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

When it comes to Blizzard products I learned long ago, never to get hyped about them.. You just wait patiently.

#24 Posted by EtherealSlayer (82 posts) -

Already in thanks to Blizzcon, its about damn time!
#25 Posted by Jerusahat (139 posts) -

I'm stoked that Brad's back!

@S0ndor said:

"Looking forward more to the new Diablo :) "

If you stand on tip-toe, and squint, you can just about make it out on the horizon. :(
#26 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -
@Blood_for_the_blood_God said:
" since when do game reviewers determine the legitimacy of corporate mergers? "
Since when do commenters decide the job requirements of the guys who work for GiantBomb?
#27 Posted by ectoplasma (987 posts) -
@Cornman89: looooool
#28 Posted by alpha_numeric (22 posts) -

lies

#29 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

I'm going to have to wait outside a blizzard booth and hope someone who won beta access would be willing to sell it to me.

#30 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

So now what, a 8 month closed beta followed by a 12 month open beta and Christmas Season 2012 here we come!

#31 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I submitted my app a while back. I hope I'm chosen even if I'm not the biggest Starcraft or RTS fan.

#32 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

The game will probably be pretty amazing and full of great features, but ugh, I can't get into RTS.  I wish I could, because I'm sure a lot of people will get thousands of hours out of StarCraft 2 over the years.

#33 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Hey, do you guys no where I can find Bob Colayco? I need some beta keys, and I'll eat an unheated cup of noodles filled with energy sludge to get one.

#34 Posted by Milkman (17309 posts) -

Is there anything that we can do to get in? Or is it more of a "friends and family" thing?

#35 Posted by bizsumpark182 (361 posts) -

I would be willing to give up all the betas I've been a part of just to be in this one. 

#36 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

hear that? that's the sound of 10 million koreans collectively orgasming.

#37 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

I smell a Question of the Week topic.

#38 Posted by Number1 (201 posts) -

Fuck this, Wheres Warcraft 4?

#39 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4898 posts) -
@Milkman: I remember signing up for the beta about 6 months ago.

I know for a fact that I won't get in because you had to install a .exe that scanned your hardware, and I'm pretty damn sure mine can't handle SC2 very well.
#40 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -
@slantedwindows said:
" hear that? that's the sound of 10 million koreans collectively orgasming. "
I am one of them.
#41 Posted by tmj (66 posts) -

Oh man, this just made my day.  I have a friend that would kill to be in this beta.

#42 Posted by Demonstride (864 posts) -

I'm stoked about all this. And I would LOVE to be in the Starcraft 2 beta.

#43 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY HOLY SHIT!

#44 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

Do you guys realize how long the typical beta cycle for a Blizzard game is, though? I was in the Warcraft 3 beta, and it's been a number of years, but I can remember it being a long, arduous number of months and a near complete overhaul of the entire game's structure during that period.

#45 Posted by GioVANNI (1293 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Oh man. I bet you kids are pumped for a sequel to Starcraft that will probably be the same game except with different units! I'm not. "
Hello, Mister Negative Nancy.
#46 Edited by Crono (2707 posts) -

Hell, it's about time.

No, but seriously... it's about time... also, I am so fucking stoked.

What would I do to get in the beta?  Well, Brad, if you have a beta key to give to me I'll be sure to let you know big guy ;) ;)

#47 Posted by nick_verissimo (1401 posts) -
@endaround said:
" So now what, a 8 month closed beta followed by a 12 month open beta and Christmas Season 2012 here we come! "
That would make sense seeing as the end of the world will happen in and around that time.
#48 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

I'm excited for what the beta means for SC2. More talk about the game, videos and such.  

I wish I was in on the beta, and I would probably kill for a damn key, but I've come to terms with the fact that I probably won't play SC2 until launch, which is better than the other thing I came to terms with recently. I expected to die of old age before SC2 ever hit shelves, so thank you blizzard for actually having a game behind all of this. Yaaaaaaaayyyyy and stuff.

#49 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! BEST NEWS OF THE DAYYYY!!!!!!

*rips of his pants and runs around the office*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#50 Posted by Xenos_19 (118 posts) -

*Spoilers~* It's delayed  

(Yes this is intended as a joke - It will most likely be even funnier if it happens)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.