Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Decisions about Starcraft II are sapping my will to buy it.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By trav3ler

With the recent revelation that Blizzard is going to remove LAN support from Starcraft II, I'm beginning to see a trend.  Not a good trend, a trend that perhaps Activision is influencing Blizzard's decisions much more than we would like.  In other words, the corporation is putting profit margins before the consumers, just like every other video game publisher out there, and it's hurting us bad.  Let's look back on the different decisions Blizzard has made since Activision bought it out...

• They've dropped hints about a "next generation MMO" which sounds like Activision got big dollar signs in their eyes from WoW and wants to capitalize
    • They announced Starcraft II then announced it's going to be 3 games instead of 1, thus costing the gamer at least 150$ for the full experience  (the news about each campaign being 30 hours long takes the sting out of this one though, as almost 100 hours of Starcraft is totally worth 150$ in my opinion)
    • They announced Diablo III, but from the early looks, it's going the route of God of War and the other action titles of recent years (orbs instead of potions, much less intricacy/strategy involved, character development dumbed down, etc.)  I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this announced as a console title in addition to PC.
    • "1 game a year" idea.  Come on, dont release a game until it's done.  We expect nothing less of you.
    • And finally, removal of LAN support from Starcraft II. 

Anyone with lame excuses about "combatting piracy" and "LAN is so last decade" should have their posting rights removed, be baned from GB for eternity, and have a squad of trained penguins sent after them to break their kneecaps and their computer, because anyone who supports this boneheaded move is going to give Activision-Blizzard reason to continue on their merry way stomping all over the things we love.  To start, the argument about combatting piracy is complete and utter bullshit, because pirates don't pirate games to play the multiplayer, they pirate it to play the singleplayer.  It is impossible for pirated copies to get onto Battle.net even as it stands today, it was impossible back when Battle.net was even created, because Battle.net requires a legit CD key for you to access it, which pirated copies of Blizzard games do not have.  If you're that worried about pirates LANning together, then make the LAN require a legit CD key to use as well, or if you must make internet access mandatory, like Half Life 2 did, then just use the internet to authorize the game, then allow people to LAN as normal.  Also, for those who say LAN is outdated with today's internet speeds, even the fastest connections will have 10-20ms worth of latency.  For the average person, this may be workable, but for professionals and tournament players, this is simply unacceptable.  LAN remains the only zero-latency way for two or more people to play together.  Taking LAN out is stupid, unnecessary, and it will fuel rampant speculation that Activision-Blizzard is gearing up to make Battle.net a pay-to-play service (which, if they do, I'm done.  Never buying any Blizzard game again.  That will be the final straw for me).

LAN isn't dead, it's alive and well.  I consider myself a fairly casual gamer, I rarely spend in excess of an hour or so a day playing games, since I have other things to do (work, school, commitments, band, friends, etc.)  However, every 3-4 weeks, a group of friends and I get together in one guy's basement, network our PCs together, and play some Starcraft, DOTA, Left 4 Dead, or some other game over LAN.  It's still relevant today, and until they invent a zero-latency way to play over the internet (which admittedly might be possible in the near future), LAN will be my favorite way to play with people.  Not only for the lack of lag, but also for the ability to take off the headset and talk with people right next to me, revel in their anguish as I destroy them, groan as they train me with a zergling rush and laugh in my face about it... I could go on, but the point is made.  LAN brings people together to play, the internet erects a barrier between them - which can never, and will never, replicate the closeness of playing a game in the same room as your friends.

Part of the reason this pisses me off so much is because this is Blizzard.  Along with Valve, I considered Blizzard above the machinations and evil scheming the other corporations get into (EA's attempt to take over the market a couple years ago, Sony and their stupid "Playstation Exclusives", etc. etc.)  When Activision bought them out I was really worried that something like this would happen, although I was more worried that the quality of games would drop.  Fortunately, this doesn't look to be the case (can't say for sure until we actually get Starcraft, but it's looking to be every bit as awesome as Starcraft 1 was).  Unfortunately, Blizzard is losing it's place on the pedestal of developers who not only make quality games, but make them while remaining ethically pure and actually caring about the customers.  Unless there's a fairly major turnaround, I might have to hang up my hat as a Blizzard fanboy, and rely on Valve as the one last remaining bastion of "good" developing companies.

I predict, however, that within the next 48 hours, the outcry from the Starcraft faithful, professional videogame leagues, and South Korea will be enough to get Blizzard's attention.  If Blizzard remains at it's core a company that cares about it's faithful, no matter how much Activision has warped it, it might still listen, and we might see LAN support in Starcraft II.  If not... well, there's always the internet.  A hack will become available in time.

But let me say this:  Blizzard, if you make Battle.net pay-to-play or have a subscription fee, not only will there be a LAN hack almost immediately, but the number of people using that and hamachi/garena will soar, as will the number of pirated copies out there.  You'll only end up hurting yourself and the paying customers.

/rant
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By trav3ler

With the recent revelation that Blizzard is going to remove LAN support from Starcraft II, I'm beginning to see a trend.  Not a good trend, a trend that perhaps Activision is influencing Blizzard's decisions much more than we would like.  In other words, the corporation is putting profit margins before the consumers, just like every other video game publisher out there, and it's hurting us bad.  Let's look back on the different decisions Blizzard has made since Activision bought it out...

• They've dropped hints about a "next generation MMO" which sounds like Activision got big dollar signs in their eyes from WoW and wants to capitalize
    • They announced Starcraft II then announced it's going to be 3 games instead of 1, thus costing the gamer at least 150$ for the full experience  (the news about each campaign being 30 hours long takes the sting out of this one though, as almost 100 hours of Starcraft is totally worth 150$ in my opinion)
    • They announced Diablo III, but from the early looks, it's going the route of God of War and the other action titles of recent years (orbs instead of potions, much less intricacy/strategy involved, character development dumbed down, etc.)  I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this announced as a console title in addition to PC.
    • "1 game a year" idea.  Come on, dont release a game until it's done.  We expect nothing less of you.

Anyone with lame excuses about "combatting piracy" and "LAN is so last decade" should have their posting rights removed, be baned from GB for eternity, and have a squad of trained penguins sent after them to break their kneecaps and their computer, because anyone who supports this boneheaded move is going to give Activision-Blizzard reason to continue on their merry way stomping all over the things we love.  To start, the argument about combatting piracy is complete and utter bullshit, because pirates don't pirate games to play the multiplayer, they pirate it to play the singleplayer.  It is impossible for pirated copies to get onto Battle.net even as it stands today, it was impossible back when Battle.net was even created, because Battle.net requires a legit CD key for you to access it, which pirated copies of Blizzard games do not have.  If you're that worried about pirates LANning together, then make the LAN require a legit CD key to use as well, or if you must make internet access mandatory, like Half Life 2 did, then just use the internet to authorize the game, then allow people to LAN as normal.  Also, for those who say LAN is outdated with today's internet speeds, even the fastest connections will have 10-20ms worth of latency.  For the average person, this may be workable, but for professionals and tournament players, this is simply unacceptable.  LAN remains the only zero-latency way for two or more people to play together.  Taking LAN out is stupid, unnecessary, and it will fuel rampant speculation that Activision-Blizzard is gearing up to make Battle.net a pay-to-play service (which, if they do, I'm done.  Never buying any Blizzard game again.  That will be the final straw for me).

LAN isn't dead, it's alive and well.  I consider myself a fairly casual gamer, I rarely spend in excess of an hour or so a day playing games, since I have other things to do (work, school, commitments, band, friends, etc.)  However, every 3-4 weeks, a group of friends and I get together in one guy's basement, network our PCs together, and play some Starcraft, DOTA, Left 4 Dead, or some other game over LAN.  It's still relevant today, and until they invent a zero-latency way to play over the internet (which admittedly might be possible in the near future), LAN will be my favorite way to play with people.  Not only for the lack of lag, but also for the ability to take off the headset and talk with people right next to me, revel in their anguish as I destroy them, groan as they train me with a zergling rush and laugh in my face about it... I could go on, but the point is made.  LAN brings people together to play, the internet erects a barrier between them - which can never, and will never, replicate the closeness of playing a game in the same room as your friends.

Part of the reason this pisses me off so much is because this is Blizzard.  Along with Valve, I considered Blizzard above the machinations and evil scheming the other corporations get into (EA's attempt to take over the market a couple years ago, Sony and their stupid "Playstation Exclusives", etc. etc.)  When Activision bought them out I was really worried that something like this would happen, although I was more worried that the quality of games would drop.  Fortunately, this doesn't look to be the case (can't say for sure until we actually get Starcraft, but it's looking to be every bit as awesome as Starcraft 1 was).  Unfortunately, Blizzard is losing it's place on the pedestal of developers who not only make quality games, but make them while remaining ethically pure and actually caring about the customers.  Unless there's a fairly major turnaround, I might have to hang up my hat as a Blizzard fanboy, and rely on Valve as the one last remaining bastion of "good" developing companies.

I predict, however, that within the next 48 hours, the outcry from the Starcraft faithful, professional videogame leagues, and South Korea will be enough to get Blizzard's attention.  If Blizzard remains at it's core a company that cares about it's faithful, no matter how much Activision has warped it, it might still listen, and we might see LAN support in Starcraft II.  If not... well, there's always the internet.  A hack will become available in time.

But let me say this:  Blizzard, if you make Battle.net pay-to-play or have a subscription fee, not only will there be a LAN hack almost immediately, but the number of people using that and hamachi/garena will soar, as will the number of pirated copies out there.  You'll only end up hurting yourself and the paying customers.

/rant
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gahzoo

Yeah, if I have to pay for Battle.net, I will probably explode. (Still pissed about the game being released in 3 parts)
    Oh and i can't think of a witty TF2 remark about the title.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

I don't have time to read the entire paragraph, but I will say one thing. We have to trust Blizzard in doing the right thing. They always have and hopefully always will. I highly doubt a merge with Activision completely changed them, and am still pretty sure they hold their own independent choices. As a fan of everything Blizzard (well my respect for WoW is less and less every week), I hope everything turns out well. In relation to your bullet points...

• I think the "next generation MMO" was the wrong wording. I have no comment on this honestly.
    • 3 games instead of 1 is fine as long as everything is intact in the editor. I trust them not to rip us off.
    • Diablo III looks fine and I'm excited to play it. Same old Diablo.
    • Again, 1 game a year is fine as long as the primary release has all the assets for map makers. On top of that, Blizzard will make sure each release is in high approval.
    • LAN support removed, well I myself never used it. But they do have a good point which is to eliminate piracy. I approve of this but, like I said, I never used it.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By PureRok
    @Vinchenzo: Let me just quote what I had to say about anyone believing removing LAN helps fight piracy:

"For all those people who actually believe the bullshit about this affecting piracy need to get out of their imaginary world. This will have no effect on piracy whatsoever, while this will negatively effect sales. You think a pirate is going to not pirate a game just because you took out the multiplayer? Probably not. They'll still pirate it; they lose nothing by doing so. The consumer, on the other hand, loses out on a key feature that - for many people - is high on their list, just so Blizzard can force you to use their online service in the name of "fighting piracy".

This is all 100% bullshit unless they believe it themselves, in which case Blizzard is a lot more naive than we'd like to think."
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icil
    @trav3ler said:
    One thing I've learned is that when people start saying "I hope Blizzard does..." it generally means it won't happen. If people say "I want Blizzard to..." it means that they'll get it.

People wanted a better Battle.net, but hoped that they'd keep it free.

Hoping is faith and wanting is desire. I know which word Activision would rather profit from.

Edit: Removing LAN was a garbage move. I can't wait to see the viral YouTube video of a world championship being decided on lag spikes.
    velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By velt

With me is pretty simple: they lost a customer. They wanted to fight piracy? Fight me now.

asdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By asdf
    1-I have no problems with a new MMO.

2-I'm definitely willing to spend more money for more gameplay, but I think I'd prefer one release with campaigns for all three races and then a couple expansion packs. Not a big deal.

3-I've never been a huge Diablo fan, so it's unlikely to get worse in my eyes. It could be fun to be a bit more arcadey. I would worry about multiplatform development, as I think that can drag down what I get in my PC version.

4-Blizzard's quality is a function of lots of variables, so I'm not that afraid of a strict release schedule. I just don't see a reason for such a schedule - why should that be a priority? Will it compete with previous priorities that made their games great?

5-LAN stuff.

We haven't learned very much about the new battle.net yet. These days LAN play is over IP, so there's not much of a technical difference between internet and LAN play. The only thing that matters is latency, and it's totally possible for a game initiated through battle.net to route over your local gigabit. (if games are "hosted" on player machines, instead of bnet servers)
    The only remaining gripe I see is that an internet connection would be required to initiate a LAN game. Not a big deal.
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Inf225

Yea blizzard is falling apart... look at wow, I started before the activison merger and since ive seen wow pretty much turn wow into an entirely new game:
      -players can get mounts at lvl 20, which used to be at lvl 40 (this isnt a huge deal but that was supposed to be an accomplishment, now its just stupid)
      -players can PAY to change factions, which is completely ludicrous
      -leveling speeds have been increaed, people can to get to 80 in like 60 hours now, which completely ruins the point of an mmo when you only see 10% of the content becuase you level so goddamn fast.
      -anything that the comminity deems "difficult' is dumbed down so that any idiot can walk himself through it, so hardcore players have lost everything...
      -they CHARGE for name changes, what the fuck! your changing your name, this is a 2 second process, i doesnt cost blizzard anything to change them, why exactly do they find the need to charge for it?

Im just waiting for the announcement:
    "And now for only 60$ You can buy a custom tailored level 80!'

Ugh...

Also starcraft is looking worse than ever. The whole 3 games bullshit is ridiculous. I dont think 50 more bucks justifies more single player stuff (which isnt even what 90% of the fanbase enjoys) and 3 or 4 new units. And you know that battle-net is going to become a pay service (why else would they only allow batte.net multiplayer).

Blizzard has dollar signs in their eyes now, and its too late....

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NoXious

You're telling me that you're unable to setup a network with internet connectivity when you are able to setup a LAN? I don't get all these complaints, the only SERIOUS problem with there being no lan is if they start charging for B.Net - then I'm out.

Otherwise, get over it - buy a router for 10 bucks instead of a switch for 7.5 bucks and start playing it through B.Net whom (as far as I know) allows a player himself to host. Which means in theory you should have no lag if you are in a "LAN" setup and are hosting a private match on B.Net. It's like that for me at WarCraft 3 anyway. If you have the "my friend can't see my game!" problem - I suggest you go hardcore and throw caution in the wind: DMZ your router!

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lebkin
    @NoXious said:
    "

You're telling me that you're unable to setup a network with internet connectivity when you are able to setup a LAN? I don't get all these complaints, the only SERIOUS problem with there being no lan is if they start charging for B.Net - then I'm out.

Otherwise, get over it - buy a router for 10 bucks instead of a switch for 7.5 bucks and start playing it through B.Net whom (as far as I know) allows a player himself to host. Which means in theory you should have no lag if you are in a "LAN" setup and are hosting a private match on B.Net. It's like that for me at WarCraft 3 anyway. If you have the "my friend can't see my game!" problem - I suggest you go hardcore and throw caution in the wind: DMZ your router!

"
    What about when Blizzard and Battle.net are gone? There is no guarantee that they will be around forever.  And if they do go, my copy of Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1 will continue to have great LAN multiplayer options, but Diablo 3 and StarCraft 1 will be useless.  A PC game's multiplayer should never be tied up in any particular service, simply because other options easily exist.  Even console these day should have a system link option, allowing for continued play when PSN network and Xbox Live are gone.
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xxNBxx

Know what you’re talking about before you post.

1- Blizz have been working on a "next gen" MMO for 3 years so it’s not like it’s a new thing.  Why wouldn't they want to bring out an MMO for console?  Why wouldn't you want to see an MMO on console?

2- Blizz said the 2 other SC2 games would be expansion priced (aka $30) and the first game will be 50.  So you’re not going to be paying 150.    Each single player campaign will be radically different, unlike the single player in Starcraft where you just play with different units.  On top of each game giving you new single player stuff they will add new multi player stuff as well.

3- This one is the most asinine statement of them all.  How does Diablo 3 look or play anything like God of War?  You for sure have never seen either game being played if you make that kind of statement.  God of War is a button mashing game with quick time kills.  Diablo 3 has a evolved skill tree where each skill has a use as opposed to GoW where different weapons just do more damage to a type of monster.  You find randomized weapons in GoW, you can't play with 4 other ppl in GoW.  The only things these two games have in common is they both have Gore.  And what’s wrong if they did make a console Diablo 3?  I bet there are tons of ppl that don't have a powerful PC that would love to see D3 on their console.

4- this statement is kind of funny,  what is your point?  You just want them to never tell you when games are coming out?

5- I will post here what i posted before to clear up the LAN question

"Blizzard has stated that they are replacing traditional LAN with a new system involving B.net. This is meant to be an anti-piracy measure: Basically, they are forcing you to connect to battle.net to confirm that you have a valid CD-key, and then you will be able to directly connect to the game host via the local network. This means
    NO LAG and no hassle of a password. If you have watched any of the interviews you would know Blizzard is making this game with E-sports in mind, so they would never release Starcraft 2 if it would hurt their chance to attract those gamers.

A large % of people that pirate games are what we call casual pirates, in other words people that just go to a torrent and down load the game. 
    not have the skill to hack the games themselves. "

There will be added benefits to playing on battle.net like the game summery, and voice chat are just a few of the added bonuses.

Lastly Battle.net is going to be FREE just like Steam.  So take a deep breath and "have a coke and a smile and..."

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By tekmojo
    @xxNBxx:

I wasn't aware they had a LAN feature set included in BattleNet. So how does this work? Do players login B.Net, see a bunch of options: quick play, create match, etc. and then a LAN match? Isn't there going to be some latency due to sending and receiving information back to the B.Net servers? Or maybe all of the data will be sent before and at the end of each round...
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Gargantuan
    @NoXious said:
    "

"
    I don't think I've ever been to a LAN party with internet connection.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

This is the cutting edge of DRM. Get used to it.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trav3ler
    @xxNBxx: Where did you get that quote?  Because if you'd read my post, you would have noticed that's what I said would be the good compromise: do it like Valve did with Half-Life 2, and have it connect to Bnet, authorize, then let you LAN as normal.  If that's what they're going to do, then that's fine by me, I had just heard "no LAN, BNet only" coming from Blizzard.

And I said that 2 wasn't that big of a deal, seeing as we were getting 80-90 hours or so of Singleplayer in addition to multiplayer.  Nor sure how I feel about them "adding multi player stuff" though. (btw, multiplayer is one word now, it's ok to use it)  Before, I'd heard that all 3 races would be fully playable in the MP so that you would only need to buy 1 copy if all you wanted was to multiplayer.  Guess that's changed now.

And just because they say "Bnet will be free" now doesn't mean they won't change it later.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gahzoo said:
    "

Yeah, if I have to pay for Battle.net, I will probably explode. (Still pissed about the game being released in 3 parts)
    Oh and i can't think of a witty TF2 remark about the title.

"
    This
    Activisions sapping my Blizzard!
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xxNBxx
    @trav3ler said:
    "@xxNBxx: Where did you get that quote?  Because if you'd read my post, you would have noticed that's what I said would be the good compromise: do it like Valve did with Half-Life 2, and have it connect to Bnet, authorize, then let you LAN as normal.  If that's what they're going to do, then that's fine by me, I had just heard "no LAN, BNet only" coming from Blizzard.

And I said that 2 wasn't that big of a deal, seeing as we were getting 80-90 hours or so of Singleplayer in addition to multiplayer.  Nor sure how I feel about them "adding multi player stuff" though. (btw, multiplayer is one word now, it's ok to use it)  Before, I'd heard that all 3 races would be fully playable in the MP so that you would only need to buy 1 copy if all you wanted was to multiplayer.  Guess that's changed now.

And just because they say "Bnet will be free" now doesn't mean they won't change it later.
    "

With the expansions they might not add new units to the multiplayer but they will for sure add new maps.  You have to remember that these expansions will be at least a year apart.  So its not unlikely that they will want to add new units into the multiplayer side by  then.

On Battle.net, they won't charge, cause of the fact that its already free right now and you can always go payed to free but you can never go free to payed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.