Digital Download or Box?

#1 Posted by dunderri (161 posts) -

I'm sure it doesn't matter that much, but how did you buy the game? I really am looking into this and I wanna know whether it's better to buy the box or download it digitally. Do they have any kind of instructions with the digital? How much information do they give you in the booklet that comes with the box?

#2 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

The booklet that comes in the boxed version just includes System Requirements, installation instructions, troubleshooting, and then the story from Starcraft and Brood War (I assume that is what it is). 

I went with the boxed version myself because I like the box and installation would be a lot faster, and once you register it to your battle.net account, you can redownload whenever you want just like the digital version. 

Oh yea and the boxed version comes with a sweet notepad with a wanted poster for Jim Raynor.

#3 Posted by dunderri (161 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov said:
" The booklet that comes in the boxed version just includes System Requirements, installation instructions, troubleshooting, and then the story from Starcraft and Brood War (I assume that is what it is).  I went with the boxed version myself because I like the box and installation would be a lot faster, and once you register it to your battle.net account, you can redownload whenever you want just like the digital version.  Oh yea and the boxed version comes with a sweet notepad with a wanted poster for Jim Raynor. "
Hmm, I guess it's just better to download it digitally if there really isn't any substance in the instruction booklet, since I already know the background and I don't care about a notepad! lol.
#4 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I got the boxed version.

#5 Posted by infamous021 (122 posts) -

I got a free poster with mine.

#6 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

i was watching the GB stream for this game like 30 minutes before midnight of launch and that was enough to make me go to walmart and stand for a couple of minutes with a few other guys and buy a boxed copy of the game.

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

When the game is selling for $30-ish and/or comes with expansions I plan on getting it in a box.  I only ever buy stuff digitally if that's the only way or it's way cheaper.

#8 Posted by FavoritoBandito (170 posts) -

I got the box and I'm loving the notepad.

#9 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

I am going to get the box edition.

#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

People are taking pictures of the serials from the box and downloading digital copies. So I'd DD and purchase the code.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Had bills to pay so I couldn't afford the Collectors Edition just yet.  
Went and bought the Digital Download version from blizzard (only took like an hour or two to download and install for me) 
I really wanted the CE though and heck I might even get it anyway, what that would mean is that there would be another code for someone out there who hasn't gotten the game. 

#12 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Got the digital version.

#13 Posted by SileoNex (66 posts) -

I got the digital version because I don't have a DVD drive.

#14 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" When the game is selling for $30-ish and/or comes with expansions I plan on getting it in a box.  I only ever buy stuff digitally if that's the only way or it's way cheaper. "
Just thinking about an SC2 battle chest makes my heart skip a beat. I must have bought that BW battlechest like 4-5 times because I kept losing my CD keys. Worth it every time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.