Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Do people actually enjoy the extra fluff ?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ares42

Ever since they started introducing all these interviews and player introductions (and most recently map picks) in broadcast streams my interest in watching the game has waned a lot. I just find it all really boring at best, and incredibly awkward/annoying at worst. At this point I just mute the stream and check out something else everytime a set finishes, hoping I'll come back to a game when I check back in. I get that the players were annoyed about casters getting all the glory, but doesn't the players actually have to step up and be interesting for it to work ? While there certainly are a few that can put on a show (and even then it feels quite cheesy), the majority of them just doesn't belong infront of a camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Players livelyhood often depends on how much recognition they receive. Often the most marketable players aren't the best skill wise. So I like the idea of lesser known players getting random face time, if they blow it then thats their own fault. I'm not sure what streams you're referring too, but I agree overall it can be awkward, but it'll most likely get better as the players get more used to it. Just look at IdrA and how he's evolved PR wise compared to 2 years ago. So overall awkward but necessary imo.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By haffy

It's mostly to do with how long it takes for players to get set up and ready to play. I don't really mind it, I usually mute streams till about 5 minutes into a game anyway.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

I know GOM started to streamline a lot of that stuff as the production got tighter. Remember the 15 minute breaks between games as Tastosis came up with something, anything to talk about? It was fun, but I wasn't working at the time and had plenty of time to kill. Can't say I've kept up with streams lately, but at least that sort of thing mixes it up between games.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

I haven't watched for awhile, but a little fluff probably is essential to getting new and casual fans to watch.

Most non-hardcore people would be totally lost watching a stream

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Rokkaku

Someone else is watching Dreamhack huh? I do agree that it's majorly awkward at best, but as Starcraft 2 grows as a spectator sport the production teams will figure out what works and what doesn't. As others have said, what we have today is light years ahead of the first few months of SC2, and it will only get better, if only because it can't get much worse...

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Wipeout

They really need to tighten up how long it takes between games. You don't need to analyze ever serve of a tennis match for 10 minutes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard

Hey, but KPop and Dubstep music videos are alright guys? Right?

(Gangnam style gets a pass for being epic.) Genuinely I'm almost down on random music videos inbetween games. I guess.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By benderunit22

If you're referring to the Dreamhack finals, yes, the interviews are really awkward. I'd put the blame on the players for the most part though, even someone like Stephano, who should be used to being interviewed by now gives terrible one-line answers that don't answer anything.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack268

The player interviews and the part where they talked with Thorzain's oldest fan were better than any of the matches this weekend

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

In somewhat related news, White-Ra is awesome:

Wuv you Ra
    Wuv you Ra
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Anyone got any links or videos to share of this fluff?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Ben_H

I only watch GSL VODs so I just skip over everything a lot of the time but yes, I hate all the time they waste on a lot of that stuff. Winner interviews are fine but when they focus on the maps a ton it's kinda dumb, especially since almost all the non-GSL tournaments use the same map pool now. I stopped watching MLG, Dreamhack because of that (and also because I have literally no time whatsoever).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

It's too bad, if Starcraft players had more personality they could cut old school WWF-style promos with just them and like a manager against a wall, yelling about fucking nothing. I'd totally pay to see those streams.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Freshbandito

league of legends tourneys have the same problem, alot of extra stuff between games that is usually badly produced and or cringeworthy. 'Esports' broadcasting just needs to find it's groove, it just seems very thrown together and sometimes unproffesional as is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.