Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Do you personally think single player helps you prepare for multi-player?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

Eh. It'll teach you the basic units and abilities but any strategy you come with for singleplayer will be worthless in multiplayer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

" Eh. It'll teach you the basic units and abilities but any strategy you come with for singleplayer will be worthless in multiplayer. "

This.  This goes for all video games.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

Not really, outside of very basic things like controls, by and large what you're doing in single-player has almost no relationship to the multiplayer.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Ben_H

I wish.  If there were vultures or vessels in multiplayer I would play Terran. 

You can use campaign to practice micro, but that's about it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So for someone only interested in online (me), should I bother playing the single player to prepare myself?

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetos

No. Cause there are units you get in the single player that are not in the multiplayer.  

Will throw you off.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So how will I learn the multi-player in the game?

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By WickedCestus

The key to learning the multiplayer is to watch a lot of replays and casts. If you're not willing to devote a lot of time to learning the game, you won't be able to get very good at mp. The campaign is not especially helpful, but it will get you used to the controls if you have never played an RTS before.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's good for practising with the hot keys. 

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

If you're brand new, it absolutely helps.  You can't learn a strategy until you know which units are built where.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @supermike6 said:
    " The key to learning the multiplayer is to watch a lot of replays and casts. If you're not willing to devote a lot of time to learning the game, you won't be able to get very good at mp. The campaign is not especially helpful, but it will get you used to the controls if you have never played an RTS before. "
    I am willing to dedicate time, but what do you mean by replays and casts? of me, or other people? and how do I learn about what all the units do?
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WickedCestus
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @supermike6 said:
    " The key to learning the multiplayer is to watch a lot of replays and casts. If you're not willing to devote a lot of time to learning the game, you won't be able to get very good at mp. The campaign is not especially helpful, but it will get you used to the controls if you have never played an RTS before. "
    I am willing to dedicate time, but what do you mean by replays and casts? of me, or other people? and how do I learn about what all the units do? "
    I'm talking about HuskyStarcraft, Day9, and people like that. Those will help you understand the units and strategy of the game way more. Pro games are cool and help a lot but there are also things like Life's A Glitch TV who cast Bronze-gold level games which is especially relevant to you. Blizzard also has some stuff on their website if you are very new and just want to know the races and the units, but watching the game in action is how I learned. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @supermike6 said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @supermike6 said:
    I am willing to dedicate time, but what do you mean by replays and casts? of me, or other people? and how do I learn about what all the units do? "
    I'm talking about HuskyStarcraft, Day9, and people like that. Those will help you understand the units and strategy of the game way more. Pro games are cool and help a lot but there are also things like Life's A Glitch TV who cast Bronze-gold level games which is especially relevant to you. Blizzard also has some stuff on their website if you are very new and just want to know the races and the units, but watching the game in action is how I learned.  "
    But if I go and watch HuskyStarcraft, should I watch any certain video? If I hop into a random one, won't it be confusing? 

And I am currently doing Practice League, does going bad in that change my stats?
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @NekuSakuraba: Challenge mode will help teach you about some things. I'd recommend playing through it. Also the easiest way to learn what units do is to create a custom 1v1 game vs a Very Easy AI and just mess around. You can read up on the wiki at teamliquid for some guides but the information there probably won't make sense to a beginner. As far as replays and casts, Day[9] is probably going to be your best bet as he always makes a significant effort to teach as well as entertain. These two videos give an overview of some general things.

If you have a friend with the game you guys can create a custom 1v1 game and just mess around as well.

Also I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, just @reply me.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Other then the basics, no not really. 
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WickedCestus
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @supermike6 said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @supermike6 said:
    I'm talking about HuskyStarcraft, Day9, and people like that. Those will help you understand the units and strategy of the game way more. Pro games are cool and help a lot but there are also things like Life's A Glitch TV who cast Bronze-gold level games which is especially relevant to you. Blizzard also has some stuff on their website if you are very new and just want to know the races and the units, but watching the game in action is how I learned.  "
    But if I go and watch HuskyStarcraft, should I watch any certain video? If I hop into a random one, won't it be confusing?  And I am currently doing Practice League, does going bad in that change my stats? "
    Nah, practice league doesn't mean anything. Also, I'm gonna assume you have seen the TNT's, Husky's videos are like that but way more in-depth. He casts pro-level games from the best in the world, but you can still learn a lot from them. If you have picked a race already, try to watch games featuring your race so you can understand them better and get an idea of all the match-ups between races. I just jumped straight in with not much knowledge and got it fairly quickly so you will be fine.  

EDIT: Also Day9's Newbie Tuesday videos are really helpful and awesome.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By ryanwho

No. Cus turning command centers into turrets and creating tower defense style choke points by intentionally leaving an opening only works on the game's dumbass AI.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By audiosnag

Sure it does if you're new to the genre. You'd be far better prepared by the end of playing it then you would jumping straight into MP. If you're familiar with SC2 and how to play it already, then not really.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By jorbear

Teaches you basic concepts, but that's about it. 

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thule

No.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @StarvingGamer: @supermike6: Are there any videos that help you with the unit part of the game and the structure of them?
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Sayishere

it helps you get familiar with the controls and maybe overall way the game works

but outside of that, probably not

multiplayer is a totally different entity, where alot of single player tricks are void

that being said, companies shouldnt heavily focus on multiplayer over singleplayer whatsoever, a balance is to be made, some of the best games ever made were singeplayer only

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Winternet

Not really. The challenges may help you out, but not the campaign.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WickedCestus
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @StarvingGamer: @supermike6: Are there any videos that help you with the unit part of the game and the structure of them? "
    You mean, such as which units counter which and which buildings you need for each units? In the game help menu there are tech threes and descriptions and strengths/weaknesses of all the units, but I've never seen any specific videos on the subject. I kind of just learned the game on the fly by watching so many matches, but I'm sure there are a lot of tutorial videos on Youtube that talk about the specific unit counters for your race. I found a good way to learn the tech tree is to just start a game against a Very Easy opponent, and just ignore the opponent and tech up. Look at which buildings you need for each unit and try to gain the ability to make all of them, it could help you understand the units of your race a lot better. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @supermike6
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @StarvingGamer: @supermike6: Are there any videos that help you with the unit part of the game and the structure of them? "
    You mean, such as which units counter which and which buildings you need for each units? In the game help menu there are tech threes and descriptions and strengths/weaknesses of all the units, but I've never seen any specific videos on the subject. I kind of just learned the game on the fly by watching so many matches, but I'm sure there are a lot of tutorial videos on Youtube that talk about the specific unit counters for your race. I found a good way to learn the tech tree is to just start a game against a Very Easy opponent, and just ignore the opponent and tech up. Look at which buildings you need for each unit and try to gain the ability to make all of them, it could help you understand the units of your race a lot better. 
    I mean as in which order to build units, structures and where to place them.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

Well you can go here if you're looking for Terran build orders. They have build orders for Protoss and Zerg as well. Keep in mind though, without a broader knowledge of the game these build orders won't really help you beyond the first 3 minutes of a game. As far as where to place structures, it depends on the race you are, what map you're playing on, what race you're playing against and your intended strategy. The best way to learn this is to watch commentated replays. Good commentators will usually take a moment to address building placement.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @NekuSakuraba: It has been said before, but it needs to be said again.

Do the Challenge Mode.

Really, brother.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @HaltIamReptar
    @NekuSakuraba: It has been said before, but it needs to be said again.

Do the Challenge Mode.

Really, brother.
    Does it really help? I'll give it a shot. :)
    wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By wrathofconn

Also, if you focus on a rigid build order and which units 'counter' others, you'll be worse off than if you're thinking generally about strategies and such. Just play against the AI until your macro is pretty good.

That said, I'm fairly bad at the multiplayer.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @NekuSakuraba: Yeah.  Going for the gold medals ultimately helps you with dealing with insanity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.