Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Don't Expect Micro-Transactions In StarCraft II

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided

As of right now, Blizzard Entertainment doesn't have plans to sell horse armor--or the Blizzard equivalent of it--in its eternally upcoming RTS StarCraft II. In a chat with GI.biz, company executive VP Frank Pearce said micro-transactions wouldn't immediately be a part of the game, adding that SCII doesn't seem the right kind of vehicle for micro-transaction shenanigans.  

"Not right now--no plans," he told GI.biz when asked directly about micro-transactions with World of Warcraft's optional, latest pay-for mount in mind. "But if you look at the micro-transactions for World of Warcraft as an example, as much as possible, we're not trying to do anything that impacts the gameplay experience, or affects the integrity of the game world at all."

The last downloadable mount sold for use with World of Warcraft, a ghostly winged horse called The Celestial Steed, purportedly netted Blizzard millions. It was sold via the Blizzard Store for 25 bucks a pop and really, like Pearce noted, it was little more than a cosmetic addition. Fans wanted it regardless of usefulness, though. At one point, the queue for the download pushed over 140,000 purchasers. 

"I think micro-transactions probably don't make sense for a game like StarCraft II. Unless we decide to do something much more extensive with player profiles, then maybe we'll evaluate it..." Pearce said before speaking to the game's user-made map creation marketplace, which will allow gifted creators to sell their creations to others.

I should note that Pearce made all of these comments before I told him about my wicked idea for a giant flying goblin robot that shoots lasers out of its eyes and can carry up to five medics at a time.

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided

As of right now, Blizzard Entertainment doesn't have plans to sell horse armor--or the Blizzard equivalent of it--in its eternally upcoming RTS StarCraft II. In a chat with GI.biz, company executive VP Frank Pearce said micro-transactions wouldn't immediately be a part of the game, adding that SCII doesn't seem the right kind of vehicle for micro-transaction shenanigans.  

"Not right now--no plans," he told GI.biz when asked directly about micro-transactions with World of Warcraft's optional, latest pay-for mount in mind. "But if you look at the micro-transactions for World of Warcraft as an example, as much as possible, we're not trying to do anything that impacts the gameplay experience, or affects the integrity of the game world at all."

The last downloadable mount sold for use with World of Warcraft, a ghostly winged horse called The Celestial Steed, purportedly netted Blizzard millions. It was sold via the Blizzard Store for 25 bucks a pop and really, like Pearce noted, it was little more than a cosmetic addition. Fans wanted it regardless of usefulness, though. At one point, the queue for the download pushed over 140,000 purchasers. 

"I think micro-transactions probably don't make sense for a game like StarCraft II. Unless we decide to do something much more extensive with player profiles, then maybe we'll evaluate it..." Pearce said before speaking to the game's user-made map creation marketplace, which will allow gifted creators to sell their creations to others.

I should note that Pearce made all of these comments before I told him about my wicked idea for a giant flying goblin robot that shoots lasers out of its eyes and can carry up to five medics at a time.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Steve_C

Good.

nyxywixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nyxywixy

Never played WoW. Still... a giant robot would be nice.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Blizzard makes me sick. 

Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
    deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

sounds good

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Samaritan

Kind of weird to come out and say something like this when it seems relatively obvious, especially given that last quote; micro-transactions for an RTS is kind of crazy. Though I guess clarification is always welcome.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

New Brad is killin' it!

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By masternater27

More like macro transactions considering they are making you pay the equivalent of 3 games to experience all the single player.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By OldGuy

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait.... $25 for a SKIN? Really?!? WoW.

I'm NOT one to complain about DLC... but... that is... uh... y'know, I just don't have the words...

sleepykyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By sleepykyle

did anyone think there were going to be micro transactions?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

it's not funny when you're trying to be funny.. 
    "Mondo-transactions".. Silly fake Brad :( 

Anyways, it's not that amazing to hear this, but letting people know is probably a good thing in the end. 
    Especially the not-so-smart gamers out there

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Gunrock

Wow, people seem to forget that videogame companys are buisness, oh my they offer things to me that i choose to buy or not to buy?!?! Outrageous!!!!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By superfriend

WoW-addicts will pay 25 Dollars for a rather cosmetic addition... let´s never ever complain about people buying the MW2 mappack again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

25 bucks for a fucking mount?!?!

callik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By callik

No plans. Yet.

Just look at the collector edition stuff - exclusive portraits, decals, unit skins. All prime examples of simple cosmetic things that could easily be cheap and purchasable. Not saying that's bad and they may certainly have no plans right this moment (fixing BattleNet is up there atm) but I can foresee this stuff being for sale in future.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Milkman

$25 for a mount?! Man, World of Warcraft has gotten even crazier since I stopped playing.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Doesn't adding a "yet" to the end of a comment make said comment more or less meaningless?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By YoungFrey

Considering how incredibly cheap WoW is, even buying all of the existing things (4 pets and the mount) doesn't make a noticeable change in the value of the game over the couple years serious players put into it.  That $25 mount looks really good.  I think probably the best argument not to get it is that it's really common.  If you could earn it in the game, it would probably be very hard to get. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Gunrock said:
    " oh my they offer things to me that i choose to buy or not to buy?!?! Outrageous!!!! "
    Basically this.

Nobody was forced to buy the Celestial Steed, I'm not sure how you can suddenly be pissed at Blizzard for this. Personally, I just laugh at anyone I see riding it.
    sedition2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sedition2

People honestly paid 25 dollars for a single piece of dowloadable content that was almost entirely cosmetic? Jesus christ, World of Warcraft is even more... far more pathetic than I thought. I can't believe so many people would throw away that kind of money for something so utterly worthless. Then again, they're doing pretty much the same thing simply by playing the game in the first place. So why stop wasting money at the monthly subscription fee? just keep throwing money at Blizzard, they won't mind.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheClap

No Micro-Transactions, but Frank Pearce isn't Bobby Kotick.  I guess this is one issue where we will see how autonomous Blizzard can remain. 

ps.  Welcome to GiantBomb, Brad.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeffsekai

OH MAN THATS SO FUNNY THEY USED THE HORSE ARMOR JOKE AGAIN AHAHHAHA!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @YoungFrey said:
    " Considering how incredibly cheap WoW is, even buying all of the existing things (4 pets and the mount) doesn't make a noticeable change in the value of the game over the couple years serious players put into it.  That $25 mount looks really good.  I think probably the best argument not to get it is that it's really common.  If you could earn it in the game, it would probably be very hard to get.  "
    Sorry, but I don't consider £100 a year 'cheap' for any game.
    If I'm paying monthly, I don't see why I should continue having to pay for things like that.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maxszy
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @Gunrock said:
    " oh my they offer things to me that i choose to buy or not to buy?!?! Outrageous!!!! "
    Basically this.  Nobody was forced to buy the Celestial Steed, I'm not sure how you can suddenly be pissed at Blizzard for this. Personally, I just laugh at anyone I see riding it. "
    This exactly. WoW is a money whoring machine, no doubt about it. But anything over the monthly fee you pay, is your own choice for things that don't give you statistical upgrades in the game nor any sort of actual gameplay advantages. Am I defending Blizzard? Absolutely not, just stating the mere fact that they are offering an item for purchase that no one is required to buy, but people do so anyway. Are those wasting their money? I would say yes, but they can spend how they choose.

For the record, I don't play WoW. I did, for two years when it first came out. But I haven't touched it since, so I think that's at least 3 years off the WoW drug now.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Vorbis

They offer a different skin for a unit already, it's not outrageous to think that Activision will push them into offering new skins for $$$.

Blizzard will try to resist, but in the end the will of Activision can not be undone.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YoungFrey
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @YoungFrey said:
    " Considering how incredibly cheap WoW is, even buying all of the existing things (4 pets and the mount) doesn't make a noticeable change in the value of the game over the couple years serious players put into it.  That $25 mount looks really good.  I think probably the best argument not to get it is that it's really common.  If you could earn it in the game, it would probably be very hard to get.  "
    Sorry, but I don't consider £100 a year 'cheap' for any game. If I'm paying monthly, I don't see why I should continue having to pay for things like that. "
    Assuming you enjoy playing the game, it's just a matter of money spent for time spent enjoying it.  I played WoW  for 2 hours a day on average.  That is 60 hours a month.  Or $0.25 per hour (a little more when you factor in the box purchases, but not much).  Which applied to a $60 game is 240 hours.  Are there any $60 games you'd play for 240 hours?   A couple maybe, but not a lot.  Many people get a mere 10 hours out of those full retail titles.  
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By LegalBagel  Online
    @Maxszy said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @Gunrock said:
    Basically this.  Nobody was forced to buy the Celestial Steed, I'm not sure how you can suddenly be pissed at Blizzard for this. Personally, I just laugh at anyone I see riding it. "
    This exactly. WoW is a money whoring machine, no doubt about it. But anything over the monthly fee you pay, is your own choice for things that don't give you statistical upgrades in the game nor any sort of actual gameplay advantages. Am I defending Blizzard? Absolutely not, just stating the mere fact that they are offering an item for purchase that no one is required to buy, but people do so anyway. Are those wasting their money? I would say yes, but they can spend how they choose.  For the record, I don't play WoW. I did, for two years when it first came out. But I haven't touched it since, so I think that's at least 3 years off the WoW drug now. "
    I don't even think you could call it money whoring.  $25 extra for something that gives you an advantage in a game you already pay for might be money whoring, but this is just giving people a pointless addition that they're obviously willing to pay for.  And I'm guessing most of the people who bought it are more than happy with their purchase. 

They might hurt themselves if they go to the cosmetic addition at cost well too much, but as it is there's nothing to complain about.  Find the man who came up with the idea for the Celestial Steed and give him a bonus.  A couple months programming and art work for millions of dollars in profit?  Crazy.
    EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EthanielRain
    @YoungFrey said:

Assuming you enjoy playing the game, it's just a matter of money spent for time spent enjoying it.  I played WoW  for 2 hours a day on average.  That is 60 hours a month.  Or $0.25 per hour (a little more when you factor in the box purchases, but not much).  Which applied to a $60 game is 240 hours.  Are there any $60 games you'd play for 240 hours?   A couple maybe, but not a lot.  Many people get a mere 10 hours out of those full retail titles.   "
    Very true; and you can resell your character when you're done for a pretty decent chunk of change (or at least you could).  My guy was pretty average and I sold him for $250 within like 10 minutes of posting him for sale.  With the increased level cap and such I would assume geared out characters go for much more.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NoXious

Thing is - people are investing so much time into their WoW characters that they want em to look awesome.
    Even if that means they pay $25 for a retarded looking mount. I endorse it though, as it is only looks. Not these insane "Pay $$$ for 10% more damage in PVP" crap you would expect on the long run.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By giyanks22

That doesn't surprise me

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#31  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @masternater27 said:

" More like macro transactions considering they are making you pay the equivalent of 3 games to experience all the single player. "

Obligatory "Paying for all 3 games will net you 3 games worth of single player content" comment.  You might as well be saying that Mass Effect is making you pay the equivalent of 3 games to experience all the single player (which is admittedly true).
    rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rhodric
    @The_Laughing_Man:  How dare they do micro-transactions despite the fact that most MMOs already do it?!?!?!

seriously tho, enjoy missing out on all the great games they put out.
    captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By captainfish

I seriously cannot believe that there is a $25 skin for a mount, and that it sold a lot. I'm assuming a lot of it was gifts for people who play the game. I also would not call a $25 purchase a "micro-transaction". I haven't really seen how closed Bnet will be for things like player icons and stuff, so they might offer that stuff, but I severely doubt that they will be selling things that effect the balance of multiplayer SC II. I'm pretty much already on board to get a collector's edition SC II (~$100 cdn), so I'm not going to be looking for ways to make that purchase more expensive.

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rolento

I'd also like to point out that the Celestial Steed is probably the most ridiculously lame looking mount in the entire game.

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

"They offer a different skin for a unit already, it's not outrageous to think that Activision will push them into offering new skins for $$$.

Blizzard will try to resist, but in the end the will of Activision can not be undone."

I don't think it's that, I think Activision corrupted them, being around them made them realize "wasting" developmental resources (a method that made WoW a phenomonal success mind you) and endeared them to gamers world-wide didn't have the obvious money making ability as the Pet Store, or money saving ability as the one-room, no trash, less art, recycled boss mess that was ToC. 

He's leaving the door open. If he had said none period, he'd have screwed them.

And there's folks who think WoW's gotten better. Oh, the bliss of addiction.

@Rolento

said:

" I'd also like to point out that the Celestial Steed is probably the most ridiculously lame looking mount in the entire game. "

The proper term is "That Retarded Horse" .
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Unless it's coming to the Xbox or Steam, fuck Starcraft.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Brad Nicholson, I thought you worked for Destructoid?

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I really hope they stay away from all this microtransaction & monthly fee stuff. They've already dealt a crippling blow to the game by breaking it into three games, but it's still possible to remain a classic the way the first one was if they stop the shenanigans there. Definitely crossing my fingers that they don't take any more missteps with this one. I'm unbelievably excited to see how it turns out.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lockwoodx

Activision will make sure Blizzard sells $DLC for SC2. It's bad enough people have to pay $180 for the entire SC2 story, but they will also get raped in the ass for the $DLC too.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Buscemi

Damn, that's a lot of whining from you guys. Let people be stupid if they want to be stupid. Spare me your preachings.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Buzzkill said:
    " Activision will make sure Blizzard sells $DLC for SC2. It's bad enough people have to pay $180 for the entire SC2 story, but they will also get raped in the ass for the $DLC too. "
    Why does it have to be DLC?  Why not just sell a bunch of action figures or art prints?  That's essentially all cosmetic DLC is anyway.  Something pretty you pay for so your friends can go "oooo". 
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Floppypants
    There are tons of seedy things they could have done to squeeze more money out of the game, but they're haven't.  Where's GameStop's exclusive marine armor?  Where's Amazon's exclusive map pack?  Best Buy's extra single player level?

and, for the millionth time: It doesn't cost $180, it costs $60.  Wings of Liberty is a complete game worthy of that $60.  The story might not end with "for ever after", but if you want more, it's up to you to reach for your wallet.
    Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Regal

I bought that Oblivion horse armor and I don't regret a thing.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Floppypants said:
    " There are tons of seedy things they could have done to squeeze more money out of the game, but they're haven't.  Where's GameStop's exclusive marine armor?  Where's Amazon's exclusive map pack?  Best Buy's extra single player level?  and, for the millionth time: It doesn't cost $180, it costs $60.  Wings of Liberty is a complete game worthy of that $60.  The story might not end with "for ever after", but if you want more, it's up to you to reach for your wallet. "
    Exactly.  Did anybody complain when Brood War or Frozen Throne came out?  I think they are just being more honest here and saying up front how they are handling the full release cycle. 
    mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mewarmo990

The extent to which the SC franchise will be milked will mostly depend on Activision at the moment. Right now, I consider the $60 per game price point acceptable, assuming that each subsequently release bring a full game's worth of content to the table.  It also makes sense to charge $60 for the SC2-1 as well. If it sells well enough, the publisher might have incentive to lower the price on parts 2 and 3. Mostly wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice to see that Zerg and Protoss campaigns priced at levels more befitting expansions (say, $40).

I'm glad but surprised that they decided not to go down the microtransaction route, however. As we all know, Starcraft is absurdly popular in Korea, which is no stranger to loads upon loads of online games based on that pay structure.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By MeatSim

The Universal News Network is my favorite space TV channel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.