Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Favorite Custom Maps

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By harris

What are some of your favorite custom maps? I've pretty much only been playing league matches and practice matches so far, so I thought it'd be fun to check out some cool custom maps. I'm looking for what are known as "Use Map Settings" maps, not custom maps to just play the standard game on. 

I've heard some good things about Nexus Wars and Evolves, I guess those will be some of the first ones I try.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Until a real DotA is out, I will have to stick with Nexus and Chess as the backup for boredom.

Shane394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Shane394

None of the custom maps out now are interesting. They got really creative in the first SC but I haven't seen any of that yet.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Rayeth

Nexus Wars as already mentioned is a great game.
    BattleCraft is similar, but faster paced (Sometimes the game ends in less than a minute if the opponents are not paying attention) and does not involve structures as much.

A Standard Tower Defense is very similar to the Element TD of WCIII:TFT for those who played that.  For those who didn't its a standard TD with no mazing but lots of tower types and upgrades.

Blood Pressure Marathon is one of my personal favorites.  Its a race game where you spawn as a different unit each leg of the race.  The goal is to complete 11 laps of the map.  Each lap is 4 legs long.  The units can attack each other and use some of their special abilities (The mothership gets vortex, Battlecrusier gets Yamato Cannon, etc).   The victor is nearly totally random because sometimes you will spawn as a Viking or Phoenix and some times an Overlord or Infested Terran.   There are all kinds of hilarious ways to slow down your competitors.  You can spawn an infestor under your control to Fungal growth your enemies, or outright  kill everyone on the leading lap, or trap all the non-flying units by calling down tons of MULEs.  Those abilities and the ability to force a respawn on yourself are limited by resources which everyone starts with a small amount of and cannot be earned.  Some of the units can harass others as well.  Infestors obviously have Fungal Growth and Infested Terrans to spawn, the Raven can drop murderous turrets, the SCV and Probe can build Command Centers and Nexuses (for free!) to block the path, or OVerseers can build walls of invulnerable changlings.  Sadly, there are a few bugs in this game (getting stuck as a snowglobe, the spine crawler can't uproot, ITs and Changelings can't be killed ever) which make it less fun, but with enough players you will certainly be killed quickly or finish your leg of the map and can get to be something else.  I would say 5+ players is ideal, any less and the game feels boring. 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Have any good custom maps come out since the game's official release? I didn't play in the beta so I don't know much about what's been done already.

jangomack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jangomack
    @gunslingerNZ said:
    " Have any good custom maps come out since the game's official release? I didn't play in the beta so I don't know much about what's been done already. "
    There's some on Gamershell, but I haven't tried them out myself yet.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

I've played some Circle TD, a neat concept and good for scratching the ol' tower D itch. 

But the best thing I've found so far is Nuclear Defense (I think that's what it's called). Basically it's a tower D map, but instead of towers each player just controls a Terran ghost, and your main weapon is nukes. They don't take anywhere near as long as the normal nukes but you still have to lead the mobs by quite a bit, it's all skill based and super fun. Tons of nail-biter moments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.