Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Giant Bomb Community StarCraft II Practice Day, This Saturday

• 75 results
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By harris

During the beta, the GB community was able to put together some really fun SC2 events. I hope to continue this now that the game is out and even more of us will be playing together. 

This Saturday, July 31 at 1:30 PM central (11:30 AM PDT,  2:30 PM EDT) will mark the first GB SC2 practice day. To participate, head over to starvinggamer's matchmaking thread and post your info, following the instructions in the first post. We need this information to help find similarly skilled opponents for you to play. You don't need to post your information in this thread, but feel free to let us know you'll be coming! Then, on Saturday, come back to this thread for a link to the browser based chat where we'll organize matches and help to find you a practice partner. Of course we'll also be doing some other nonsense, possibly including FFAs, custom maps, show matches between highly skilled players, and more. Perhaps we'll even hold a quick mini-tournament. Please note that this event is currently for the North American Region only (Sorry :()

These practice days will be a great way for you to see how you stack up against the community, improve your skills, and prepare for the next community tournament. This will most likely become a weekly event, but for now you could call it a test run. 

Also be sure to check out this weeks Thursday Night Throwdown, which I believe will be featuring StarCraft II.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing you there! 

Update

Here is the page you need to go to at 1:30PM CDT (11:30 AM PDT, 2:30 PM EDT): 
    http://harrism.com/GBSC2/
    Backup page in case the above link does not work: 
     http://devio.us/~harris/
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

Woo Harris you are my hero!  Too bad I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll do my best to steal internet access when I can to keep the matchmaking thread up-to-date.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Anybody have a spare guest pass they're willing to give me?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

This one I can 1000% live stream, so no worries.  If I get another copy, I might be able to play too.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Mystyr_E

wait, somebody clue me in here, I don't have a computer to run this yet but...if it's an online thing and not say a contest, why is it US only?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

I will try to show up for this!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By harris
    @Mystyr_E: Battle.net currently only allows for users of the same region to play each other. Cross region play is not yet allowed :(
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#9  Edited By Mystyr_E
    @harris:  really? odd, wonder if they'll patch that cause it seems like a weird thing for them to not have it
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By harris
    @Mystyr_E: Yeah, I think they mentioned it will be patched in a few months after release.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishan6

ya i nominate harris for user of the year

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TotalEklypse

practice? lol

BeanoFritz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BeanoFritz

I totally want to join but I will also be out of town. add me as a friend people!  my tag is    Beanofritz

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By harris
    @BeanoFritz: Hopefully you can make it next time :) Btw, people also need your character code in order to add you as a friend. You can find that in the "add friend" window.
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BC_

As someone who wasn't in the beta and hasn't played SC1 in a decade, I definitely could use some practice!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Mystyr_E said:
    " wait, somebody clue me in here, I don't have a computer to run this yet but...if it's an online thing and not say a contest, why is it US only? "
    I think they mean the North American Region, since the servers are different for the european version. I think they list them as US servers versus EU servers, so therefore its 'US server only'. Canadians can still participate.

@harris:
    Can you please verify the above info is correct and update your post to be more clear about it being the North American servers. Also what time is 'central' time? Why not list PST (Actually PDT right now), since thats what GB goes by and most people have a good idea what time that means for themselves?

Great idea by the way! I have a guest pass so I might jump in!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By harris
    @Xeiphyer: That's correct, I'll update the post. Thanks for the suggestions. 

By 'central' time I mean CDT.
    Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Makula

Just left my info in the other thread. 

Is there any chance you guys have a  practice day on Sunday? I can't make it on Saturday before 4:30 EST

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By harris
    @Makula: We may have future practice days on Friday or Sunday, perhaps in a rotation. However, things should still be going at 4:30 EST this Saturday, so feel free to join us then.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm willing to take up to 4 other new users and go over the following list: 

Skill Requirement - Basic KB+M Understanding  
    Race Requirement - Preferably people who want to learn which one is right for them. 
    Voice Requirement - No 
    Outside Requirement - Pens/Pencils and Paper (for writing down notes if need be)  
    Honor Requirement - The promise to use hotkeys and pretend the bottom right of the screen isn't there.  I understand it might take longer to build, but I don't mind taking it slow.  Understanding hotkeys is IMPORTANT.

Goal - Standard foundation of Build Orders, and strong strengthening of hotkeys.  At the end of the day, the user should be able to explain why to others, as to what the different races can do, how many to put on gas, optimizing building-to-gathering ratio, and basic understanding of mid-game structure.

Agenda: 
    1.  Go over each race's standard worker, and differences between them. 
    2.  Learning Terran's Walling, Zerg # Pool, and Protoss standard. 
    3.  Learn by trying on your own, understand why putting excessive workers on gas is a poor use of units. 
    4.  Early expand reasoning. 
    5.  Basic counter-rush builds. 
    6.  If time permits, more depth in mid-game.      

Side Note - I'll take the first four newcomers who want to learn the basics and rather not just learn from normal 1v1, which also means we might reset a map sooner than expected to reset the game.  I also promise to take it nice and slow, so if you do learn quick, be mindful that the other people might not pick up as quick.     

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Fallen189
    @harris said:
    " @Mystyr_E: Battle.net currently only allows for users of the same region to play each other. Cross region play is not yet allowed :( "
    Keeping me from buying it. So frustrating
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189: Buy the NA version from whatever import shop/site you use?  Look over how many you'd play with in EU compared to NA/AU.  It's what my friends from Japan did.  They just bought the NA version from Akiba for about $100 a pop (japanese jack up import prices).  
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Fallen189: Buy the NA version from whatever import shop/site you use?  Look over how many you'd play with in EU compared to NA/AU.  It's what my friends from Japan did.  They just bought the NA version from Akiba for about $100 a pop (japanese jack up import prices).   "
    It's just a weird and terribly frustrating time. I'd obviously wanna play with friends from the UK the most, because hey, that's obvious.

But on the other hand, a lot of the GB community is NA, and for these practise days and such, and even just standard matches with GB dudes, it obviously means I need to buy one. I'm in no real rush regardless, and broke with moving house soon, so I'll wait and see if they unlock it somehow
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189: Harris, myself, and a few other users have surprises coming up on Sunday and we found out how to make the community work together with the shitty region locking.  I can't say anything just yet, but fear not.  I know it's gay, I got friends in EU and old friends I met in Korea.  I'm screwed with them. 

Let's hope Blizzard keeps their word then.  :)
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Nephrahim

Sigh....  I do hope I will make it.   I don't want to say so after I canceled in the last beta tourney though.

I'm trying to buff my system a bit to let me play 1v1 without the threat of excessive lag and disconnects.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to wait till I get a new computer and just do the single player. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SamDrugbringer: What kind of rig are you running?
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nephrahim
    @KaosAngel: An  Ancient one.  2.4 ghz P4 (Which I've Overclocked to 2.6) with an X850 and 1 gig ram. 

I've got a laptop that I could use too, but I'm only going to if I cannot make the pc work.  

Right now I'm just playing the single player and one or two quickmatches.  If it stays stable, yay.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SamDrugbringer:  

I tested out my old PC with SC2 during March of the beta: 

P4 3.0 
    1.5 Gigs of Ram 
    7900 GT 

It ran it fairly well on mid.  Dunno if that helps, but it will run hopefully!
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By VisariLoyalist

if only my download would finish in time XD

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BC_
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I'm willing to take up to 4 other new users and go over the following list:  Skill Requirement - Basic KB+M Understanding  Race Requirement - Preferably people who want to learn which one is right for them. Voice Requirement - No Outside Requirement - Pens/Pencils and Paper (for writing down notes if need be)  Honor Requirement - The promise to use hotkeys and pretend the bottom right of the screen isn't there.  I understand it might take longer to build, but I don't mind taking it slow.  Understanding hotkeys is IMPORTANT.Goal - Standard foundation of Build Orders, and strong strengthening of hotkeys.  At the end of the day, the user should be able to explain why to others, as to what the different races can do, how many to put on gas, optimizing building-to-gathering ratio, and basic understanding of mid-game structure. Agenda: 1.  Go over each race's standard worker, and differences between them. 2.  Learning Terran's Walling, Zerg # Pool, and Protoss standard. 3.  Learn by trying on your own, understand why putting excessive workers on gas is a poor use of units. 4.  Early expand reasoning. 5.  Basic counter-rush builds. 6.  If time permits, more depth in mid-game.       Side Note - I'll take the first four newcomers who want to learn the basics and rather not just learn from normal 1v1, which also means we might reset a map sooner than expected to reset the game.  I also promise to take it nice and slow, so if you do learn quick, be mindful that the other people might not pick up as quick.      "
    That actually sounds really great
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189: Two EU codes up on the thread.  Get 'em! 

@BC_:
     Thanks.  If you want in, let me know.  :)
    Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Makula
    @harris said:
    " @Makula: We may have future practice days on Friday or Sunday, perhaps in a rotation. However, things should still be going at 4:30 EST this Saturday, so feel free to join us then. "
    Thanks man, I will join you.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By TwoLines

Only NA? Dang.

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fribain
    @Spoonman671 said:
    "Anybody have a spare guest pass they're willing to give me? "

I'll give you one, just email me at josephwhittington@hotmail.com if you still need one. I'll send you the code if you email me. :)
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By harris
    @TwoLines: Yeah, sorry :( Hopefully someone will organize some events for other regions or blizzard will patch in cross region play soon.
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BC_
    @KaosAngel: Oh I'm definitely in!
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KaosAngel
    @BC_: Sweet, so I got two down for it!  I got space for two more.  :)
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By harris
    @KaosAngel: Will you also be live streaming that? That'd be cool to have recorded for others to watch later.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KaosAngel
    @harris: Yeah, I can easily stream that one.  Dunno why people would watch though, just the same map being reset about 5-6 times in an hour, as I go over different races and their build orders, and whatnot.   

Oh side note, Battle.net in-game Voice is soooo bad, me and OmegaPirate tried to do it today but we had to use Skype and then Steam Chat.  It's soooooo bad, the thing doesn't even work.
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By harris
    @KaosAngel: Oh, ok. You don't have to stream it if you don't think it will be useful, up to you. 

You can use my mumble server, if you'd like. It's got 10 slots.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By frankxiv
    @KaosAngel said:

" @BC_: Sweet, so I got two down for it!  I got space for two more.  :) "

i'd be interested, is this going to be going down saturday morning as well? i'm going to be out late tonight but i can try to make it (bit early for the west coast lol), i'll find out my number later tonight and post in the other thread. 

i'm looking to improve my extreme beginner protoss game. it seems like everything i do is wrong. a lot of it could be my partner, as i've mostly done 2v2s where they get harassed early and get taken out or ragequit, but i'd much rather blame myself for not being able to help them. i've only learned the hotkeys for warp gates so far, but i will try to get better with general use.

it's also hard to actually practice in practice league when people who don't belong there just stick around to decimate you, and terrans will just rush you with reapers and then run away, ignoring the rocks set up to stop exactly that, turning them into something that walls you in from counterattacking or knowing what else is out there. it's weird they'd wall you in like that when scouting is apparently so important. but i also don't want to skip it because i do need the practice, losses or not i can be working on my skills. 

i just need to know what to work on :)
    theacclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By theacclaimed

I'll be on for sure, should be fun.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By harris

There's a slight chance I may be a little late to the party, but don't worry, I have a few people helping me, so they'll get things started. Hopefully I'll be there on time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm in town I'll try and make it, I really need to get my skills up.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kishan6

i would love to be in on this 
    im not exactly  a noob but love talking about sc anyways lol

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel

Incase Harris doesn't make it in time, pinworm, wchigo, and myself will be grouping people up to practice.   

So fear not!  

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By ribeye

i'm gonna be a little late, maybe a half hour - 45 mins, not sure how it's' gonna work exactly but i'll click that link the second i get back

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wchigo

I'm actually going to be leaving for work soon unfortunately, so I won't be around for most of the day.

I get off work at around 10:30pm EST tonight, so if people are still playing around 11pm or so I'm down for some practice games or anything, so feel free to hit me up.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VisariLoyalist

This highlights why there should be a giantbomb starcraft clan if that's even possible

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " This highlights why there should be a giantbomb starcraft clan if that's even possible "
    Hold your horses.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.