Giant Bomb Community StarCraft II Tournament, October 2!

#1 Edited by harris (848 posts) -

Let's get started!

1. Go here and submit your SC2 name and code in the following format: Name_Code (e.g. Harris_788). No need to register a challonge account or anything, just click 'sign up for this tournament without a Challonge account.' This will enter you in the bracket.

2. Go here, connect to chat using your SC2 name and code in the same format as above (Harris_788). Find your next opponent on the bracket below the chat and set up a game with them on the appropriate map. The map to play for each round will be listed here.

3. After your game, upload your replay here and report the winner in chat. In order for your win to be registered, you must report it. Go to step 2.

Intro

After an excellent first post-release tournament, with staff participation and great community coverage, we're ready to hold our fourth somewhat-monthly Giant Bomb Community StarCraft II Tournament! The tournament is open to all skill levels. Feel free to drop by just to spectate matches, too. We're trying out a new system to run the tournament this time, so things should run a lot smoother and with far less delays. 

Important Information

The tournament will take place on Saturday, October 2 at 1:30PM CDT (2:30PM EDT, 11:30AM PDT). At that time, specific instructions will be posted here. Please note that these instructions will be quite different from previous tournaments, so be sure to check back here when they are posted. If you're late, you may be disqualified. We may continue at a later date if we cannot finish all matches on the first day. 

Unfortunately, you must have a battle.net account that is able to play with US accounts in order to participate.

Details

Further details will be posted here later on.  

Help us out

We're looking for a person or two to stream/commentate matches as they go on, and/or upload commentated replays later on. If you'd like to help us with any of this, please say so in a reply or PM. Thanks.

How to enter

Simply reply below saying you'd like to enter. This time we'll be collecting your SC2 name and character code and assembling the bracket at the start of the tournament, instead of collecting the information as you sign up. 

Sign-ups will remain open until the start of the tournament.  

We look forward to seeing you at the tournament!

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -

Yo, me :D

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Yay. Dunno if I can play with law school but we shall see.

#4 Posted by Elbon (368 posts) -

I've got a question how do I go about get on to the US servers when I'm on the EU server?

#5 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Sigh is on a Saturday =( I have to work.

#6 Posted by Turambar (6733 posts) -

I'd love to, though not sure if I can actually make it.

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to set the date of the second day of the tourney beforehand.  Kinda sucks when those that showed up for the first day can't make the second one.

#7 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Elbon: Currently I think the only way is to buy a US copy of the game. I think a fix for this is in the works, not sure. 

@Turambar: I think we'll be able to finish on the first day with the new way we're running things. If we do go onto a second day, though, I'll try to pick a day that suits everyone who's still in the bracket.
#8 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

Damn for the third time Harris you have put it on a weekend that I am busy haha oh well maybe the fourth time I will be able to get in on it.

#9 Posted by Brad (2925 posts) -

Count me in, tentatively, time allowing, etc. Check your local listings, offer not valid at all locations.

Staff
#10 Posted by Elbon (368 posts) -
@Brad:  What are the chances of you casting some of the matches?
#11 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I.

#12 Posted by Brad (2925 posts) -

I've never casted before, so, probably not high. :( 

Maybe I'll try my hand at it and see if I'm any good at it beforehand... is there anyone else around that would want to play second chair?

Staff
#13 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -

:O!

Count me somewhat in! I'm about 75% sure at this time I can make it.

#14 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Brad: That would be extremely awesome! I'm sure someone would be happy to cast with you. Glad you can ( tentatively) make it this time :D
#15 Edited by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -
@Brad: I'd love to cast with you and play the energetic babble to your calm analysis.

Edit: And this time I promise not to bring the Broodlords (if you remember)
#16 Posted by Nephrahim (1131 posts) -

Awesome, I've been waiting for the next. 

I might not make it, computer trouble AGAIN (My keyboard is on the fritz, but I'll try.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (6409 posts) -

I'll throw down again.

#18 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Pinworm.445 is prepared to enter and help organize.

#19 Edited by nVision (18 posts) -

I'll enter.  
Bnet: nvision 
character code :839

#20 Posted by Brad (2925 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:
" @Brad: I'd love to cast with you and play the energetic babble to your calm analysis.  Edit: And this time I promise not to bring the Broodlords (if you remember) "
Don't expect me to let you bring any brood lords this time. :D
Staff
#21 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
@Brad said:
" I've never casted before, so, probably not high. :(  Maybe I'll try my hand at it and see if I'm any good at it beforehand... is there anyone else around that would want to play second chair? "
I'll volunteer! PM me if you're interested.
#22 Posted by ReLoaDeD (47 posts) -

As of right now i think i can make it, hopefully I can win this one!
calyx #831

#23 Posted by JusticeReturns (63 posts) -

Frost#789

I play Protoss and would love to play. (57% diamond player.)

Ive got some friends that are 1200+ ill see if they would be interested.

#24 Posted by Domorin (45 posts) -

I think I'll be sitting this one out, I may stop by the chat and watch some games though ;).

GL HF HB!

#25 Edited by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

If I remember then I'll totally be there. 

EDIT: And by assembling the bracket I assume you mean getting our leagues and seeding accordingly?

#26 Posted by EkajArmstro (385 posts) -

I'll join again. 

EkajArmstro 769

And damn you for not playing Domorin! I actually started practicing TvT XD

#27 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov: By assembling the bracket I mean getting everyone's name in there and shuffling it randomly. While seeding it by league would be interesting, it's a whole lot of work there are so many participants. Also there's a certain fairness achieved by random seeding, though you could argue that seeding it based on league is fairer.
#28 Edited by Nephrahim (1131 posts) -

You know what...  Worse case senerio, I'll find a way to play on my laptop.  Not ideal, but I'll make it. 

Nephrahim #317

#29 Posted by ReLoaDeD (47 posts) -

Ekaj, I'm coming for you this time

#30 Posted by JusticeReturns (63 posts) -

Im coming for all of you.

#31 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -
@harris said:
" @ComradeKritstov: By assembling the bracket I mean getting everyone's name in there and shuffling it randomly. While seeding it by league would be interesting, it's a whole lot of work there are so many participants. Also there's a certain fairness achieved by random seeding, though you could argue that seeding it based on league is fairer. "
Got it, thanks for the quick reply and it's understandable. It would be a lot of work considering how open you are keeping the tourny.
#32 Posted by Wunder_ (1169 posts) -
@Brad:  Oh god, let us cast with you.

I'd love to participate in this tournie, but it's at 2:30 AM on a Sunday for me... I probably wouldn't be in my tip-top shape :p
#33 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -
@Brad: Hey Brad I have a stream that I run on teamliquid (not a super super popular one), so if people really want you to co-cast/commentate stuff we could do skype and that would stream through just fine. You can PM me if you want as the time approaches if you think you'll be available to play and or talk about it. GL.

@harris: Hey Harris I'll definitely play or at the very least I can stream and cast as many games as possible. So sign me up and I'll PM you also about if you want a stream.
#34 Posted by JusticeReturns (63 posts) -
@moztacular: hey can you link your stream?

i want to check it out
#35 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

Okay, THIS time I will be playing.  

@Brad:
 I hope your Diamond play can help this Gold Protoss get better.

#36 Edited by Moztacular (467 posts) -
@JusticeReturns:  I'm not streaming at the moment but here is the link. Down at the bottom you'll see a couple archived videos that you're welcome to check out. There are two king of the hill series that are archived down there which are fairly entertaining I hope. I can't stream as much as I would like now that my student teaching has begun but weekends I usually get some good time in. 

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/moztacular
#37 Posted by Devilkas (54 posts) -

Sure, I'd love to embarrass myself.

#38 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I shall try to be there.

#39 Posted by RustyScrew (72 posts) -

goal for this tournament = TWO wins

count me in

#40 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Does the word tournament mean you actually have to be good? 

If so, I'm probably not in.  

If bad people are allowed to get eliminated first round, B.net profile and friend code in mini bio.

#41 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@InfamousBIG: Not at all, this is open to all skill levels.
#42 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

I am down for this tourney!
And it looks like you've already got an excellent group of commentators, so I'll leave that to those good folks!

thatfrood, 557!

#43 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -

Tentatively, I will be there. I will know soon enough whether or not I can be there.

I've been heavily considering the casting and commentary thing, but my bandwidth can handle the streaming portion. I suppose I'll get in on it if there's space available or something.

And man, I've really got to get my arse in gear for my 1v1 stats... >_>

@Domorin :
Boourns! What happened to playing an off-race? ;p

#44 Edited by Physic (55 posts) -

I'm up for this. Is there any division restriction? ie. separate brackets for each division?  

Biscuits 
code:860 
Diamond League. 

I also have a fairly functional streaming setup and have mild commentating experience, let me know via pm if Icould help out on that front.

#45 Posted by Juvenfly (125 posts) -

Count me in.  

#46 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

If you're looking for high ranked BRONZE player (yeah thats right) then i'm in for this.

#47 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

Hopefully the new sign-up format will make it so half of the players aren't no-shows like every other tourney...

#48 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -
@audiosnag: 
Leagues don't matter here. If you want in, you're in, simple as that.

@SJSchmidt93:
That's the idea. :)
#49 Posted by MCHugsAlot (10 posts) -

Count me in.

Username:BroDudeGuy
CC:940

#50 Posted by Daggith (26 posts) -
I should be able to make it. The last one was fun.

Daggith#408

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.