GOM's Arena of Legends tournament

#1 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -

Just noticed this on GomTV. They're basically doing a mini tournament for 3 weeks, from September 17th to October 2nd. Look at these names!

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

IMNesTea

IMLosirA

MVPDongRaeGu

StarTaleJuly

SlayerS_MMA

MarineKingPrime.WE

IMMvp

SlayerS_BoxeR

oGsMC

StarTale_TricKsteR

EGHuK

Dignitas.NaNiwa

It's $5 for the whole thing, which seems reasonable. Top player of each group advances.

From the looks of it... I'm thinking NesTea, LosirA, Mvp, and... hell, let's go with NaNiwa.

#2 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

sweet... and did anyone see the legends set they did before the GSL CodeS finals??? EG.HuK raping!!!

#3 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -

@baldgye: Haven't seen it, but I did see game 1 of the finals. And holy crap, go ghost nuke drops.

What was the set up on the legends thing? Saw something about Thursday and Friday teams?

#4 Posted by onimonkii (2432 posts) -
@csl316 said:

@baldgye: Haven't seen it, but I did see game 1 of the finals. And holy crap, go ghost nuke drops.

What was the set up on the legends thing? Saw something about Thursday and Friday teams?

2 teams of 5, each led by a korean caster. games are bet on by the coaches. it was just a bunch of fun show matches, like half the players played offrace even, losira as terran, mkp as protoss, mc as zerg.
#5 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -

exciting. especially for Losira, considering I've occasionally heard he's an even better Terran.

#6 Posted by DerBrick (227 posts) -

I don't know if I'll get the ticket for the AOL event. It looks great though.

The all star match was the highlight of the finals. Mr. Chae was pretty funny and the girl behind him really regrets sitting there.

Games to watch from the finals, one and five.

#7 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@DerBrick said:

The all star match was the highlight of the finals. Mr. Chae was pretty funny and the girl behind him really regrets sitting there.

pretty much, the other games... just wernt great though when I watched the VOD off the belshire beach the video skipped out half way through :/
#8 Posted by DerBrick (227 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@DerBrick said:

pretty much, the other games... just wernt great though when I watched the VOD off the belshire beach the video skipped out half way through :/

The other matches were just a typical TvT... siege tanks looking at each other

#9 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Does that mean the finals are actually worth me checking them out?

edit: anyone else weirded out by the AOL abbreviation?

#10 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -

@NickL: Doubtful. Although I've only seen the first game, so I can't speak for the whole finals.

But watch that first game!!

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3335 posts) -

If you haven't yet, watch the first game of the Allstar event.  It was the only serious game of the first event and it was amazing.

That's not to say the other games of the allstar event weren't great.  A lot of them were really fun to watch, something Code S hasn't been lately (Gom TvTvTvTvTvT etc.)  I hope next Code S is better but with 20 Terrans it will probably be dull.

My Arena of Legends ticket is already bought.  GSL is one of the only things I watch other than streams (No TV ever).
#12 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -

@Ben_H: It was a great game, I can't believe how relentless he was. Would really want to see a comeback, although turning down the Code A invite... I dunno about that.

#13 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@csl316 said:

@Ben_H: It was a great game, I can't believe how relentless he was. Would really want to see a comeback, although turning down the Code A invite... I dunno about that.

he has alot of work to do... it wasn't so long ago that he looked like he could win the GSL twice, something no other non-Korean has achived.

@csl316 said:

@NickL: Doubtful. Although I've only seen the first game, so I can't speak for the whole finals.

But watch that first game!!

Worth watching, TvT is the best mirror match-up atm and both Top and MVP are fucking amazing TvT players.
#14 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

They should just giving us this for free they fucking store our passwords in plain fucking text i think we deserv something back from them 

#15 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:
They should just giving us this for free they fucking store our passwords in plain fucking text i think we deserv something back from them 
Reset your password... and your a winner
#16 Posted by Ben_H (3335 posts) -
@baldgye said:
@shinigami420 said:
That and don't use the same password for anything anyway.
#17 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
@baldgye said:
@shinigami420 said:
That and don't use the same password for anything anyway.
Fuck that IM NO ROBOT
#18 Posted by Rayeth (1031 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for this. It should be a great show. Groups A and C especially look pretty competitive.

Go NesTea, the Zerg God and DongRaeGu, the Zerg Hero!

/notbiasedatall

#19 Posted by Fleatron (18 posts) -

Agreed, I'm really excited to see groups A and C. Also I'm rooting for Naniwa, best foreign player around in my opinion!

#20 Posted by allay (12 posts) -

Oh how I love that the fact that there will be less TvT than in the GSL.

#21 Posted by Ben_H (3335 posts) -

@allay said:

This.

To be honest, for GSL October I will be watching more Code A than Code S because there are actually other races playing in Code A (Who won't immediately get knocked out). TvT is not fun to watch 90% of the time. 10% of the time it's awesome but most of the time it sucks.

If Code S gets more than 24 Terrans after next season I'm probably gonna stop watching it (I've read speculation on TL of 24-28 Terrans by December if something doesn't change soon, be it a metagame shift or balance change to fix ghosts/the 1/1/1 all-in). This is getting kinda ridiculous.

#22 Posted by csl316 (8343 posts) -
@Ben_H said:

@allay said:

This.

To be honest, for GSL October I will be watching more Code A than Code S because there are actually other races playing in Code A (Who won't immediately get knocked out). TvT is not fun to watch 90% of the time. 10% of the time it's awesome but most of the time it sucks.

If Code S gets more than 24 Terrans after next season I'm probably gonna stop watching it (I've read speculation on TL of 24-28 Terrans by December if something doesn't change soon, be it a metagame shift or balance change to fix ghosts/the 1/1/1 all-in). This is getting kinda ridiculous.

To be completely honest, I stopped watching Code S after the Super Tournament.  Didn't think I could, since it was a full on addiction for most of the year.  Really, after work half of my time was spent watching GSL.

Now I've been sticking to the team league, and the variety of play styles and matchups you see really keeps things interesting.  Not to mention the occasional unknown player upsetting a heavyweight (like Seal vs. Bomber).
#23 Posted by Ben_H (3335 posts) -

I usually just skip through matches of Code S now unless it is one of my favourite players (Nada, Clide, Julyzerg, oGsMC OH WAIT). It takes too long, especially with the 40-50 minute TvTs that have been going on lately. Sure that's a lot of vikings and battlecruisers but it's boring to watch. MVP, Bomber etc. don't excite me to watch. It doesn't even look close when they play most of the time. MVP vs. July last season pissed me off more than anything; July had a pure T3 army with zergling support and lost it all to 23 ghosts who used one spell and killed everything with minimal losses. Or when Terrans lose to a Protoss then 1/1/1 all-in and win the series anyway. It is just frustrating to watch this stuff at the top level.

#24 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

Nestea, Losira, DongRaeGu and July make it through for an all Zerg showdown.

#25 Posted by allay (12 posts) -

I dont really want to see too many ZvZs either. Mirror matches are meh in general.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.