Hotkeys: Standard vs Grid

#1 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -
#2 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Grid for me because I'm noob

#3 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -

I was using grid when I started playing because that's what I had been using previously in Company of Heroes. 

Although,I bought Starcraft 1 and started playing it recently and it doesn't even have a grid option so I've learned to use the standard hotkeys.

#4 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

I'm getting used to standard, but Grid is nice. The only thing I don't like about standard is how I need to press "I" for an immortal, I mean really, it's so far away from all the other keys I use.

#5 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Until I read this thread I never even knew grid was an option. I'm gonna go check it out. 

#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -

Whats the difference? 

#7 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I'm confused. I just click the buttons in the lower right....

#8 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I uhh... 

Probably hotkey.

#9 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I don't even know what grid is.

#10 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

Grid is for people that are crazy

#11 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Yeah, could someone explain grid for those of us too lazy to fire up the game and see for ourselves? :)

#12 Edited by MrChuckles (50 posts) -

Grid basically maps the hotkeys for commands in the lower right box to the left half of your keyboard based on its position in the lower right box on screen.

So if you clicked a unit and it had Attack, Move, Patrol, Hold Position in that order in the command box, Q would be Attack, W would be Move, ect.  

Thats not the right order or keys assigned to them but you get the picture. I don't use it so I'm not entirly sure, but I think its Q through T, down to B, back to Z. all commands in there, but they don't correspond to any names  (ex: D for drone).

Edited: Oh and in response to the topic, I play standard, if grid was an option when I started playing I think I'd have got into it, but as addressed before having T as attack just seems weird.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12000 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I'm confused. I just click the buttons in the lower right.... "

#14 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I've always though the Grid idea would be perfect for RTS games, but now that I've gotten used to the default I dunno.

#15 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -

Now imagine the lower right of that image applied to starcraft. 

That's the grid system. 
#16 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

T = RETREAT

Also, grid cos that how I played CoH.

#17 Edited by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

I really like Grid personally.  T for attack is a little odd, but it takes maybe two games to get used to. 
#18 Posted by CharlieTuna (328 posts) -

Holy crap dude, I had no idea this was in the game. Going grid all the way now, I can't memorize all that junk with the standard layout.

#19 Posted by Butchio (333 posts) -

standard for me, thou im still gettin used to them

#20 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I use Grid, but Grid is pretty bad actually. It's way comfier, faster, and easier, but it has downfalls. Let's say you have Battlecruisers and Ghosts. 

A protoss army is coming towards you. You NEED to EMP them to win. So you hit Z and... fire a yomato cannon at a zealot. 

Where as if you are on standard, you just hit the EMP key, click. Then Yomato Key click. Without having to change sub selection. 

I've also made banelings pointlessly explode when I meant to make more banelings with my zerglings.. 

The point being, Grid is good if you're a new player, a not-hardcore player, or a Random player.  But it not the best if you aspire to be the best.

#21 Posted by wchigo (551 posts) -

I use Standard, cause I was too lazy to find out if there was another option. That being said, I'm so used to using Standard as Protoss now that I'd spend more time than was feasible to learn it on Grid most likely.

#22 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

I can't change to grid now man, I've got muscle reflex on my early Terran reaper rush! 

GLHF 

S. S. S. B-S. S. B-R. B-B. S. S. X. B-R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. 

GG 

//patented

#23 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" I use Grid, but Grid is pretty bad actually. It's way comfier, faster, and easier, but it has downfalls. Let's say you have Battlecruisers and Ghosts.  A protoss army is coming towards you. You NEED to EMP them to win. So you hit Z and... fire a yomato cannon at a zealot.  Where as if you are on standard, you just hit the EMP key, click. Then Yomato Key click. Without having to change sub selection.  I've also made banelings pointlessly explode when I meant to make more banelings with my zerglings..  The point being, Grid is good if you're a new player, a not-hardcore player, or a Random player.  But it not the best if you aspire to be the best. "
you can't access skills without tabbing through them even with standard. like, with ghost/marine, you can't stim marines while ghost commands are the active ones w/o tabbing ... ... can you? "
That's correct. If you have ghosts and marines selected, and you hit Z, you'll use Snipe. You have to hit Tab+Z to use steam. Where as with Standard, you can hit the Stim key and the Snipe Key without having to tab. It can be kind of a big deal when you have tons of units selected. 

I stick with grid anyway, though.
#24 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -

Standard layout. It's only really confusing if I've been playing Protoss or Terran for a while then switch to the other, I'll end up pressing S to make an SCV as Protoss or E to make a Probe as Terran in the first 5 seconds, but  then I'm like "Whoops" and no more mistakes.

#25 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" @Pinworm45 said:

" @Fragstoff said:

" @Pinworm45 said:

" I use Grid, but Grid is pretty bad actually. It's way comfier, faster, and easier, but it has downfalls. Let's say you have Battlecruisers and Ghosts.  A protoss army is coming towards you. You NEED to EMP them to win. So you hit Z and... fire a yomato cannon at a zealot.  Where as if you are on standard, you just hit the EMP key, click. Then Yomato Key click. Without having to change sub selection.  I've also made banelings pointlessly explode when I meant to make more banelings with my zerglings..  The point being, Grid is good if you're a new player, a not-hardcore player, or a Random player.  But it not the best if you aspire to be the best. "

you can't access skills without tabbing through them even with standard. like, with ghost/marine, you can't stim marines while ghost commands are the active ones w/o tabbing ... ... can you? "
That's correct. If you have ghosts and marines selected, and you hit Z, you'll use Snipe. You have to hit Tab+Z to use steam. Where as with Standard, you can hit the Stim key and the Snipe Key without having to tab. It can be kind of a big deal when you have tons of units selected.  I stick with grid anyway, though. "
no thats not how it works, you cannot access spells without tabbing them so they are the active unit, standard or grid doesn't matter you still can't do it. I even double checked just now, snipe/cloak/emp does not work if the marine's command box is active (R, C, E doesn't do anything), just like you cant stim the marines if the ghost's command box is active. its the same with any combination of units. check  yourself and seeif this where true no one would ever be using grid, especially not pros like TLO, it would be too much of an advantage to use standard "
Um, maybe it works that way if a hotkey is the same or something, like stim and snipe being S. but I know for an absolute fact Ive selected protoss armies and spammed Force Fields without having sentries selected, as I had high templar selected. :/ 

I also know for a fact that I've made banelings explode and zerglings morph when I've had both selected. Both before I Switched to grid.
#26 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Fragstoff said: 
did you have sentry hallucination researched? because you must have imagined it!  booo ya! lol 

if you try to use force field (F) while selecting the whole group of gateway units, with High Temps in the mix  and the HTs are the the active unit selection, pressing F will activate the HT's spell Feedback (F) , G for guardian shield will do nothing as well so its not a case of hotkey conflict.  you have to tab to the sentrys to cast the sentry spells.

snipe is also R not S, and stim is T, so there is no hotkey conflict there anyway.  
Whether the hotkeys are the same or not,  you always have to tab to the specific unit to cast its abilities, true in all cases and unit combinations, I'm 100% sure of this. Even tried Classic hotkeys, same thing, all 3 hotkey setups force you to select the unit to use it's abilities. maybe it was something in early beta I cannot say. It seems like a  conscious choice by Blizzard not to allow what you are saying. "
To be fair, the last time I did anything like this was a while ago in the beta. I haven't done it since release or after a patch or two in Phase 2. I guess they changed it, because I know beyond any doubt I did this at some point. 

Oh well, I guess Grid is all good then!  

As long as you don't embarass yourself by making banelings explode instead of morphing zerglings. 

Like I did. 

During a 2v2. 

With my diamond level friend who's really good. 

And I was trying to show him that I'm good too. 

And he wanted me to baneling bust a wall down..
#27 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Why the hell would you ever use grid?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.