Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

How many of you were introduced to the game by Brad?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

I was wondering because it was seeing Brad play in that second livestream that really sold me on Starcraft II. After that livestream ended I looked up some commentated matches and started digging in almost immediately, and it was late at night, I was on vacation in a house with poor internet and all of my family on my Mother's side in it (well, half on the floor I was in) and I had just spent a lot of time waiting for slow buffering on the archived livestream. That livestream and Brad's enthusiasm of the game got me into the spectating scene, which soon, when I got home, sold me a copy of the game, which I loved. I'm curious for how many others this is the case. I'm also curious how others got into the scene because, if there's one thing that makes me sad about Starcraft, is that I don't see any way to get people to try it out who aren't into it already and I'm wondering what the best gateway drug is if there is such a thing. Obviously linking people to a what, 2 to 4 hour stream isn't going to work well, especially when the first chunk is installing the game, but it's the only way I can think of to introduce someone to it without overwhelming them completely.

So yeah, basic question, how many of you guys are like me and were made into Starcraft II enthusiasts by Brad, and second question, is there a good gateway drug I can throw at people to get them into Starcraft II?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Wow. God, I hope it's a minority.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rokkaku

If you replace the word Starcraft 2 here with S&M, this post becomes a lot funnier.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I was looking forward to it since it came out, but it was their stream that sold me on Giant Bomb.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By TheMasterDS
    @SeriouslyNow: I don't see how it's preferable that most people on Giant Bomb are into Starcraft because that's just the way they roll, I'd think it'd be preferable if Brad's advocacy and love for Starcraft II translated to people considering the game and figuring out if they'd enjoy it because that would mean that Giant Bomb is effective in making people's gaming lives better in addition to being quite entertaining. I mean surely that's a good thing right? That all these Quick Looks, Reviews, and Podcasts aren't just for shits and giggles but are for getting people aware and interested in the games they could be playing and the ones they should be playing.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@TheMasterDS said:

@SeriouslyNow: I don't see how it's preferable that most people on Giant Bomb are into Starcraft because that's just the way they roll, I'd think it'd be preferable if Brad's advocacy and love for Starcraft II translated to people considering the game and figuring out if they'd enjoy it because that would mean that Giant Bomb is effective in making people's gaming lives better in addition to being quite entertaining. I mean surely that's a good thing right? That all these Quick Looks, Reviews, and Podcasts aren't just for shits and giggles but are for getting people aware and interested in the games they could be playing and the ones they should be playing.

I didn't mean it in a bad way and yes, of course Brad's support is great but...it's Starcraft! It's one of the most internationally recognised games in the last decade.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Grimluck343

Personally, I was interested in the game when it first came out but I didn't actually want to try and play until those TNT's and watching some Day[9] dailies. Been hooked ever since.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bocam

I played the original Starcraft and I had no interest in 2 until I saw Brad playing it

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sociald1077

I had SC1 pre-ordered. So Brads enthusiasm just added to my love of SC2.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Khadyn

I've been watching alot of Liquid/Twitch.TV in the past 2-3 weeks (love Team EG and who can't deny iNcontrol is funnier as hell when he casts games on OneMoreGame). I really want to learn how to play SC2 but nervous in the sense of getting my butt handed back to me multiple times will kill the love for SC2 (not including the fact I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for Diablo 3 on May 15).

Speaking of SC2, should I play the first SC for the story going into SC2 or does SC2 do a decent job with the backstory?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

I watched his video review of it. Does that count?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bocam

@Khadyn said:

I've been watching alot of Liquid/Twitch.TV in the past 2-3 weeks (love Team EG and who can't deny iNcontrol is funnier as hell when he casts games on OneMoreGame). I really want to learn how to play SC2 but nervous in the sense of getting my butt handed back to me multiple times will kill the love for SC2 (not including the fact I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for Diablo 3 on May 15).

Speaking of SC2, should I play the first SC for the story going into SC2 or does SC2 do a decent job with the backstory?

SC2's installer tells you everything you need to know about SC

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

Na, my brother introduced the original to me back in 1999 when he bought it. I didn't really play much besides doing stupid things against the computer because I was just a kid, but it had me hooked nonetheless. I did enjoy seeing Brad play the game though because of how much I enjoy the game.

If you want a gateway into the game then try having them watch day9's funday mondays and his monobattles. Those are fairly light-hearted and amusing to watch without having to worry about how complicated the game looks initially. Then start to add in some more structured gameplay such as a particular streamer you like playing 1v1s or maybe even pro-competitions like mlg or gsl. If they reach a point where they say "ok, I want to pick this up for myself" then have them watch day9's newb tuesdays as they're trying to learn. Don't just throw them into watching pro's play though, because then everything looks fast and too complicated which may be discouraging. Plus, most of the humor the castors use might put them off if they're not familiar with it.

@Khadyn: They get you caught up quite well. While the game is installing they have a recap video playing. If you want to see some events for yourself though I would recommend watching them on youtube. Not really worth going back to sc1 just for the single player imo, but that's just me.

Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shibbxyz

@Khadyn: I believe there is an update version of the SC story line in SC2 now so you could play that, the story develops well without the background knowledge of what happens in SC but its like reading the LoTR before the Hobbit :)

Or just read Wiki articles and such, I think posts have been made that describe the story arc of SC very well I think I watched a 5 minute video or something that plainly tells you what happens

GLHB!

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Tylea002

If Brad hadn't gone on so much about how amazing it was, I'd never have bought it.

But I knew about it before hand, and played the demo. I did my research.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I was into the game back when it came out, I got on the Blizzard bus with Warcraft 2. Finding out he's so into it was cool though, if he introduces or convinces people to play it then that's awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Was looking forward to it since I finished Brood War when it first came out.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Khadyn

@MentalDisruption: @Shibbxyz: @Bocam: Thanks for the quick responses duders...will get SC2 asap and just roll with it. I'll check out Day9 Newb Tuesday videos also.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

I used to play Warcraft II, and someone bought me SC 1 early on. The game broke my computer so I tucked it away for a year, but I'm definitely glad I reinstalled it.

I'll admit that Brad's trip to Korea video really starting selling me on the GSL and how awesome this whole esports thing could be.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spectreman

I don´t remember when I started. Don´t was with Giantbomb. Probably I was looking to advice in Youtube video when I start watching HDStarcraft and Husky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.