Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

How would you respond to.....

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Donos

Let's say you're playing a 1v1 against Terran and you scout two plain barracks at your opponent's ramp and quite a few marines, early in the game. How would you respond to this, and what race are you playing?

Thankies!

Edited for internet tldrity

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

As Zerg, I would make sure I had a lings in scouting position to see when the opponent moves out, throw down some preemptive spines, and get a bane nest if I didn't have one already. If nothing came at me soon, I would sac an overlord to try and see what was really going on.

As Terran, I would chuckle as I kept on building preigniter hellions.

As Protoss, I would build an extra sentry or two to buy myself enough time for my Dark Shrine to pop. Also I would do my best to make sure I had a pylon somewhere in proxy position.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By endless_void

As zerg, sounds like a bunker rush. Get a spine up, scout around expo for any bunker going up, get queens asap, and 3-4 sets of lings initially.

As toss, well, just build units from gateways. It depends if these baracks have any tech labs though.

Advertisement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Advertisement

As a zerg I'd throw down a spine crawler, then get a roach warren while making sure I have enough lings to delay the marines until roaches pop

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"FUCK!"

And then click surrender.

Not, not really.  I don't really know though because it's been a long time since I've played.  

Edit:  To make this not completely  worthless:  As protoss I would probably hard-wall off and get a forge+cannons unless I was going an early aggressive build, in which case I would try to hold off his push and counter attack I guess.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi

As zerg I would throw down a spine crawler at max range of any potential bunkers and prepare to pull drones to defend a bunker rush. Get out a bunch of lings and micro them to hold it off.

As protoss I would get an extra sentry or two to hold the ramp until i have sufficient units to push out.

As terran I would be doing a 2 rax expand anyway so it would come down to micro.

I main zerg.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turambar

When did I scout this?  Do I know anything else about him like whether he has gas or not?  Do one of those barracks have a tech lab or a reactor on it?

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Donos

For clarification, you haven't seen a refinery, the barracks have no add ons, and you probably saw it some time between 3 and 6 minutes. Depends on your scouting pattern and mine, and the front door will look more or less the same for quite a while regardless.

Sounds like the general preference is to turtle up rather than anything with worrying offensive potential. The reason I asked is that I'm getting back into Terran and trying to figure out what do try after starting with 2 barracks marines. From the sounds of things, I can probably get away with an immediate expansion and late gas if I play responsibly.

So the next step..... a couple minutes have passed and you've been at most pressured with a few marines, you scout (right?) and see an expansion and more marines, and a tech lab if you're lucky. Where do you go now?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

I would say in a thick pseudo-Italian accent: 

"'Ey, what is this that you do, huh? You want I should look like a fool with my tiny army? You want I should roll over and take it, ey? Pfah! Pfah, I say to you!" 

It should be noted that I don't play Starcraft.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Donos said:

For clarification, you haven't seen a refinery, the barracks have no add ons, and you probably saw it some time between 3 and 6 minutes. Depends on your scouting pattern and mine, and the front door will look more or less the same for quite a while regardless.

Sounds like the general preference is to turtle up rather than anything with worrying offensive potential. The reason I asked is that I'm getting back into Terran and trying to figure out what do try after starting with 2 barracks marines. From the sounds of things, I can probably get away with an immediate expansion and late gas if I play responsibly.

So the next step..... a couple minutes have passed and you've been at most pressured with a few marines, you scout (right?) and see an expansion and more marines, and a tech lab if you're lucky. Where do you go now?

That's a big time gap. As a player who really doesn't know an exceptional amount (and main Zerg), here's my take.

If I'm 'toss, I'm definitely turtling. Throw down a couple of cannons on the ramp if I have them; else I pause 4gating and just go zealots. 
    The next step stage: Finish 4gating and definitely throw down a forge if I haven't yet. Cannons!

If I'm Terran, I wouldn't really care. Wall in with Barracks + Supply Depots, build marines. More marines. Should be a pretty even fight as long as you outmicro the other bloke.
    The next step stage: Copy him but counter his units. Get a couple of tanks.

If I'm Zerg and I failed to scout him before he walled, I'd just keep going as usual, bump some roaches. No tech lab means no lethal Marauders, so I'm in good shape. No real concern here; maybe a spine crawler for good measure. If I could guess what he's going to tech to (or not tech at all), then I'd respond accordingly.
    The next step stage: if he has an expo, then mine better be up and running smoothly. I'd be ready to deny an expo ASAP and should have scouted him with zerglings. All while prepared to throw down a third expo with a defence force ready.

I really don't know how to play 'toss very effectively (i.e. 4gate and then either pure antiair or stalker/zealot mix with tech to colossi), and I don't know how to play Terran whatsoever beyond walling and marine/marauder ball.
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'd uninstall StarCraft 2 and play TF2 instead.

Seriously, that's what I did after playing SC2 multiplayer

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By baldgye

yeah I'd probally chrono out some sentries and get a forge for either a cannon to fall back too, or for +1 amour.. I might get another gate depending on how many marines I see but probally just expo as soon as his push fails

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jorbear

F10+N

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Killboyy777

not enough info. I'd scout the rest of his base. does he have 1 or 2 refineries? if none, I'd throw down one bunker (as a terran player) and continue with my plan. If there is no refinery, i'd assume a quick expand is next or a semi-all-in. i'd keep a scv close to spot when he moves out as well.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Moztacular

not sure why people say to make roaches as zerg just build a baneling nest and 2 banelings + 1 spine crawler and you can hold off any number of marines. expand of course and win

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Donos

@Killboyy777: You didn't see a refinery in your worker scout (since there weren't any), and I guess you'd be seeing a quick expansion afterwards. I'd be curious to know what you plan is, and how you'd respond to the aforementioned expansion. However, I have a gut feeling the strategy I'm developing here won't be as effective against Terran as the other races, simply because Terran can prevent my pressure from doing damage without significant investment or delaying their expansion (since they can build the CC in-base). Mirrors are always weird though, so this will take some more thought.

@moztacular: The problem is that a few banelings and a spine crawler cannot really put on any pressure, while a few roaches can, and you can more easily scale roaches up into an effective kill move (since I already have 2 barracks at my ramp). My whole thinking with this opener is to feint just enough aggression to make someone turtle (read: not expand), but keep my early marines alive and take a quick expansion instead of committing to the attack. If a zerg (or any race, for that matter) does indeed just defense up then expand, I'm at an advantage since my expo was faster (also worth noting, I'm not cutting workers at any point in this). The problem for me is if they either expand first (in which case I need to actually do some damage with those marines), or if they can turn around and balance taking their expansion while hitting me enough to nullify my expansion, or just kill me outright.

Now I say this knowing that when I play zerg against a 2 barracks opening, I do go for a spine crawler and, if I'm feeling nervous, a couple banelings because I open hatchery first so I'm ok with the Terran fast expanding. As Terran, I'm looking for my marine pressure to hit the window between when the hatchery finishes and when the creep fully spreads, when there are probably targets other than the hatchery, but also the minimum spine crawlers and I can get off creep in time to kill the banelings and escape the zerglings that don't have speed since zerg went hatch first and got banelings by the time it finished (or that don't exist if zerg got enough gas to do both before hatch finished).

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Bwast
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    I'd uninstall StarCraft 2 and play TF2 instead. Seriously, that's what I did after playing SC2 multiplayer
    No hats in SC2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.