Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Hydralisks are great for...

mikeprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mikeprime

No Caption Provided
    ...mixing drinks at starbucks. 

Seriously though,  anyone have any good success with hydras?  Maybe got a replay where you used them to good effect?  I've not had much use for them so far.
    Odeeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Odeeze

I have had some degree of success with them in Z v P. Mainly i use them to defend against a 4 warp gate push as they just rip apart the gateway units so fast

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By azrailx

i play in plat so im allright  and i like using armies of hyra lings, and it works pretty well

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

Hydras make someone like me, a Terran player who turns to air units when I see Roaches on the ground, a sad sad panda.

Odeeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Odeeze

@killroycantkill
    Did you read the last line of his post he asked if anyone has had any success with hydras

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rhodric

hydra roach are great vs gateway units in zvp.
    add corruptors when they get colossi. then tech to ultras.

don't use em in zvt.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Odeeze his. They're so slow off creep they're not much use offensively, unless your opponent is going for a primary air attack (void rays all in or something). They should definitely be faster off creep-they're basically like the ZErg version of stalkers but not as good
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thule

If you're not using Hydra's you're crazy. They're the highest DPS unit in the game. They attack incredibly quickly and do a pretty good 12 damage a shot. They just need support that allows them to stand still and destroy stuff. A wall of Roaches or Zerglings works pretty well. 
    Using an Infestor to Fungal a group of units and finishing with Hydras works good as well. Sometimes they even outrange the enemy whose Fungaled and can kill them without retaliation.

You should use them against a Protoss whose heavy on the Gateway units, Hydras own pretty much any Gateway unit without much trouble. They're only really vulnerable against Storm and Colossi.

And yes, they're slow, that's why you should spread your creep quickly if you want to use alot of Hydra's or use them defensively only.

mikeprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeprime
    @Thule said:
    And yes, they're slow, that's why you should spread your creep quickly if you want to use alot of Hydra's or use them defensively only. "
    How would you go about spreading creep to use hydra's more offensively?  Do you actually build a full highway to your opponent?  I suppose a nydus near their natural could help you start spreading creep where you could actually use it to help your hydra's maneuver and retreat when things get too hot.
    DasSmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DasSmiter

Gotta use creep

Just spread it generally and then when he pushes you can have hydras to rape him and then push the few extra feet to victory

Hydras are just extremely slow off creep

mikeprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikeprime
    @rhodric said:
    "don't use em in zvt. "
    Care to elaborate on this?  Why not?  What do you use instead for zvt matches?  I can guess, but I'm curious.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thule
    @mikeprime

Building a creep highway is usually the way to go. You can make a start with some creep tumors, but you'll probably need a Lair and Overlord speed for the rest. Just send a bunch of your Overlords into the middle of the map and divide them over your attack path. The creep will spread fast if you've got multiple overlords puking creep at the same location. 
    It gives you two advantages. You get to be offensive with your Hydra's, but the creep highway you just made also helps you retreat in case the attack doesn't go well or your main base is under attack. If you attack with Hydra's off-creep, you're committed. You can't really retreat, because your Hydra's will be easily picked off while retreating. The highway will allow you to retreat quickly without suffering many losses.

As for the guy who doesn't use Hydra's against Terran. He's kinda right as of right now, but with the new patch, Hydra's will be used alot more in ZvT, because Tanks will no longer 2-shot them.
    I still use Hydra's in ZvT though even if it's just a couple. They're the best Anti-air Zerg's got and they do alot of damage.
    Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Mike17032

Hydras rape VRs like nothing else.  That alone makes them quite valuable.  

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nephrahim

So so so very slow. 

They need a speed upgrade again.  I love hydras, and I mean, you might need a few in some situations, but right now, they're pretty much More mobile base defenses.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45

They're pretty crappy. They're meant to be a tier 1 unit and it shows. 

I still love roach/hydra though and try to do it as much as I can, just because I find it fun.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SonicBoyster

I use hydras almost exclusively against Protoss and often against Terran as well, and they perform very well for their price if you do not throw them away.  Don't attack-move with them or you'll throw away all the DPS the units behind the hydras in front could be dealing out, don't send them across the map to assault a base somewhere if you don't have a creep highway along their path, and don't run them into siege tanks.  Stimmed marines will eat them apart if they don't have something in front of them to soak up the damage, which is a good reason to produce roaches.  Marauders eat roaches apart, but do poorly against hydralisks.  Also remember to manually snipe the medivacs over the Terran's bioball before you attack move and spread the damage around.  Never mix them up with ultralisks as those units do not navigate around each other effectively and for the love of the Queen do not take them off of creep if there are psionic storms going down.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HellBrendy

They work well against my void ray push -.-

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nephrahim
    @SonicBoyster said:
    " I use hydras almost exclusively against Protoss and often against Terran as well, and they perform very well for their price if you do not throw them away.  Don't attack-move with them or you'll throw away all the DPS the units behind the hydras in front could be dealing out, don't send them across the map to assault a base somewhere if you don't have a creep highway along their path, and don't run them into siege tanks.  Stimmed marines will eat them apart if they don't have something in front of them to soak up the damage, which is a good reason to produce roaches.  Marauders eat roaches apart, but do poorly against hydralisks.  Also remember to manually snipe the medivacs over the Terran's bioball before you attack move and spread the damage around.  Never mix them up with ultralisks as those units do not navigate around each other effectively and for the love of the Queen do not take them off of creep if there are psionic storms going down. "
    I can't imagine this working.  I tend to open PvT with early Zealot aggression, but after rush pretty much straight to Colssi or sometimes HT, both of which will destroy Hydras.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SonicBoyster

Colossus are not amazing against roaches, or hydras mixed with lings, and you should have corruptors or mutalisks coming out in response to them well before your enemy gets enough of them to totally melt your hydras apart.  Psionic storm is devastating to everything in a zerg players arsenal and it's an issue you'll have to deal with using some serious micro whether you have hydras or otherwise.  Hydras at least have the DPS and range to pick off high templar before they fall even if they are caught in the storm.  With creep underneath them they can pull out of psi storms fairly quickly, but not without it. 

Hydras and roaches will utterly annihilate any gate army and stand up reasonably well to a gate army with a couple of collosus mixed into it.  Transition out of roach/hydra into hydra/mutalisks if you have the expansions available to handle it to secure air dominance and deter colossus and immortal overproduction and encourage stalker production, which are horrible against both mutalisks and hydralisks.  Hydralisks aren't mobile, which is the reason they aren't a win-button, but you can get around with nydus worms to protect expansions or harass the enemy base, as well as overlords if you have air control.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By thatfrood

Hydras are good against protoss, they counter pretty much every gateway unit. They are very squishy, however, so you'll need roaches or at the very least lings to soak up damage while your hydras do work.

The reason you don't use hydras against terran is because you don't use roaches against terran. Marauders eat through roaches and hydras, so that wall of roaches that was supposed to be protecting your hydras falls fast, and you hydras go with them soon after.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By shirogane

Zealots tear apart hydras quite fast. Marines not so great, but i guess you could get more of them then they could hydras? Maybe? Reapers will probably take them out fairly easily, but they'll take fairly heavy losses. 

Hydras against tanks aren't so great, better in the upcoming patch, but still not that great. Get enough though, and have a meat shield of roaches or something to take the fire, and the hydras do quite well. I'd know, they've owned me before.
    loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By loldetaerleo

Don't see why you would use hydras in TvZ even after the patch, even if they don't die to as fast to tanks.
    Muta/ling/baneling into Ultra will prolly dominate that matchup from the Zerg side. 

Especially now that you won't be as forced to make roaches with the Reaper/Bunker nerf.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Addfwyn

Hydras are great in ZvP (where you can get hydras and corrupters for the inevitable collosi), situational in ZvZ (hydraroach works well), and generally poor in ZvT. 

They are very very high dps, but quite squishy, so need other units to tank for them.  Also they really need you to be very proactive about expanding creep, or use nydus worms well to make them more mobile.  Hydras are a bit better against Terran now that siege tanks don't utterly dominate them, but they are still too iffy.  Against bio, marauders rape roaches so you can't go hydraroach to have tanks for the hydras.  Against mech, even though hydras are a bit better off, they still go down super fast to Thors, Hellions, or Tanks.  Against air, they'd be effective but I don't see too many Terrans mass air units for the most part.   

These days, hydraroach is probably my number 2 build against toss, it really depends what they are building.  I am lately really favouring mutaling against toss, cause it just gives you fantastic map control and can be very frustrating for a protoss player to deal with.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.