Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

I can't get excited about StarCraft

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I really want to play this game, but I fucking suck at RTS's. 

It's really peculiar actually, because I love turn based strategy. When you speed it up a bit though, I just can't seem to stay focused on the battle as a whole. The last RTS I took a crack at, truly truly took a crack at, was Warcraft III and I never did any good at it because I could't keep track of all my fucking guys at once. Is there like a fucking Tab button or something I'm missing? Because that would be really cool. 

Part of the problem I had with the campaign is that it seemed like a lot of pointless trial and error. It felt as if the game expected me to know what the fuck was going to happen before I even started, then my base would be destroyed and I'd have to start over again, then this time I'd try to set up better defenses around my base but then I run out of time or some shit god damn it. 

I dunno. 

Someone tell me how to do RTS.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By emkeighcameron

The trick is to buy Company of Heroes, build nothing but 1 machine gun crew and 15 mortar squads, and blow the FUCK out of everything. Then you're good at RTSs.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

HE'S A WITCH!!!

EDIT:  But seriously, most RTSs allow you to create groups of units.  For example, in the original Starcraft you could select a group of any 12 units, hold ctrl+1, and from then on whenever you hit the 1 button you would select those units.  If you double-tapped 1 you would select those units and automatically pan to their location on the map.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

Try to find people along your skill level. I was terrible at the original StarCraft, but I've got a lot of friends who are jumping into StarCraft 2 without any prior experience with the series.  Play with people of equal suck-age and you'll have fun, and you'll all progressively get better at the game together.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

Just play E V O L V E S all the time insted.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSully

Dont try and be excited for a game that isnt your kind of game. I recommend it because i love RTS games, but if you arent good at RTS games you most likely wont like it. But if you do get it i suggest playing through the singleplayer first, usually they pace it good enough for you to learn and eventually make your way up to the online. Even do skirmishes with computers until your comfortable managing your units. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai

I think there is a pill for people who can't get hype.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By BunkerBuster

Maybe you'll be lucky and this time and Starcraft will have difficulty modes with an Easy toggle. 
    If not then you're fucked and you should  just go ahead and watch the cutscenes on youtube.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yinstarrunner

It's OK, you're just a subhuman.

I suck at RTS games too and even I'M planning to sink significant amounts of time into Starcraft 2.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By meteora

I totally suck at StarCraft and maybe RTS in general (I turtle too much).

But you know what? I'm still getting it. >_>

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SSully: It isn't that RTS's aren't my kind of game, it's that I can't figure out how to manage everything at once without my screen going ape fuck. 

I mean I beat Warlocked. 

And that was on a fucking gameboy. So obviously I am willing to suffer to make this work.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " I think there is a pill for people who can't get hype. "
    I'm constantly amazed and entertained by your ability to come up with new ways to put that.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @LordXavierBritish:  Warlocked was such a neat game.  Only RTS I ever beat was Myth though...

I too am feeling somewhat ambivalent towards Starcraft 2.  I actually hated the first game, but the monkey faced Terrans played no small part in that.  SC1 was also really technologically deficient at the time while SC2 is pretty cutting edge...

I'm not buying SC2 just yet, but I don't know how long I'll be able to resist the hype wave.
    secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By secretagent099

fuckin buy it. i dare you.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By TomA

Most fans(me included) of RTS, suck at StarCraft, but it's a good game, and theres alot of fun to be had with it, it's really only the hardcore online matches that demand a high level of skill, and if your playing skirmishes on a setting above normal, but the rest of it is more forgiving. Also, with such a strong modding tool set for the game, just give it a few weeks and they're will be a ton of crazy fun mods that people just play for fun.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrGetBonus

You could get years of fun with just the custom maps so I wouldn't worry about it too much if you suck at the RTS portion.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By apathylad

I bought the first Starcraft a couple years ago. I wasn't good at it then, and I'm not good at it now. Still, I'm gonna pickup Starcraft 2.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Terra1909

Isn't the new battle net supposed to be really good at matching you up with people of a similar skill level?  Maybe that will help. I'll probably give the multi-player a shot, but I'm checking it out largely for the single player stuff.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Semition

The new battle.net's matchmaking is really good from my experience.

I believe Blizzard said that looking at their game statistics in the beta, the only people that we losing too many of their games were those in the lowest 3% (who were losing 70% of their games). Once you get above that, your win/loss should be around 50/50, or at least until you get to the very top of the community.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Praab_NZ
    @emkeighcameron said:
    "The trick is to buy Company of Heroes, build nothing but 1 machine gun crew and 15 mortar squads, and blow the FUCK out of everything. Then you're good at RTSs. "

Relic makes me want to cry 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By KaosAngel

The USM will change your mind.  There's something in there for everyone, plus the story should be okay...but if you already watched it on YouTube (like me), you know what to expect.  >.>

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not particularly hyped about it, either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.