Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

I cant win at StarCraft 2, Give me some tips, get a guest pass

RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RageGummy

I picked up a copy of Starcraft 2 last night and have played about 12 or so games. Against the AI on Easy and Very Easy I managed to get a win ( Not tried medium yet) but as soon as I play someone online I get hammered. Came close to a good counter in one game but messed that up.  

So this is where you come in Giantbomb, if you can slot me some tips or anything I should be doing in the first few minutes in this post, the best two I shall give my two guest pass's too.  

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9de2ldcm9qdf8vv/Novice Kulas Ravine (2).SC2Replay  This is a replay for the people who would like to take a view at my playing style. 

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Watch some videos on youtube and play the challenges. That's a good start, you should also practise a lot to improve your speed. 
    I don't need a guest pass though. ;)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Spam marines and medics for Terran. Bronze level players don't really know how to handle zergling rushes so that's still applicable. Google "zrgling rush" for a howto on that. Really, tier 1 spamming gets the job done just about every time at the bottom leagues. From there, you learn from your losses. Unless you're a bitch afraid of losing, then you watch youtube vids.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jost1

Don't need a guest pass but basically, watch replays of the matches you lose. Seriously

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TehJames

ZEEEEEEERG RUSH!

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dogbox
    • Always remember that you need a LOT of mining units to succeed. You can have 3 SCVs/probes on one patch of minerals (I believe), so don't be afraid to crank some out. Somewhere around 20 or more is good once you get your base going. Start the game off by immediately building more! 
    • Hotkey your town hall (Shift+whatever number you want to assign it to) so that you can pump out more even when you're on the other side of the map. Hotkey your units as well, so you're never more than 1 keystroke from selecting them.
    • Always keep an eye on your command points as well; the worst thing you can do is run out, sending all of your unit production to a screeching halt. So make sure to build plenty of supply depots/pylons/overlords, whichever race you're using.
    • Don't be afraid to build multiples of the same structure - if you want to pump out infantry, don't just use one building to do it! Build two or three (or more).
    • Make sure to fortify the choke point(s) into your base - getting 'tower rushed' (enemy comes into your base and starts building inside of it to screw you over) is frustrating, and can be prevented by dressing up your base with some defensive structures, or at least a small squad of units patrolling near the entrance.
    • Once you get into the game and get more comfortable with what structures/units serve what purpose, know your build. Make some calls based on what your opponents are doing and what race their using to determine what you should be building. Have a strategy from the beginning, but be ready to change it up if your enemies get wise to you. This gets easier to do once you know what units are good against what. Keep at it and you'll start to get a feel for it!
    • Gargantuan is absolutely correct too; try out the challenges, and watch other people play. Better yet, watch the replays of when you lost online. You'll be able to see what your opponents were doing and watch their activity for the whole match! And every replay is logged automatically.
    • If you hold Shift, you can queue up commands for your units; very handy for, say, telling an SCV to build a few supply depots, then return to mining minerals when he's done.
    • And finally - start learning the hot keys. This is pretty much a must when you play online!

Hope this helps; and I don't need the guest pass. (:

Edit: I think there's a built-in hotkey for selecting your base but I prefer the old-school way of shift-assigning it.
    s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By s10129107

Who can give you advice AND needs a guest past?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @s10129107 said:
    " Who can give you advice AND needs a guest past? "
    Someone who played the beta all 2 months then had a comatose stroke the day the game came out and they just now got out of it.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ThePickle

Scout, mine, make dudes

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @RageGummy:   Goto Mediafire and host a replay(they are really small).  I'll download it and try to help you point out what you are doing wrong, but I don't need a guest pass.  You can give it to me if you want though. lol
    RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RageGummy
    @Cataphract1014:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/9de2ldcm9qdf8vv/Novice Kulas Ravine (2).SC2Replay This is a good game I had, still lost. 
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @RageGummy said:
    " @Cataphract1014:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/9de2ldcm9qdf8vv/Novice Kulas Ravine (2).SC2Replay This is a good game I had, still lost.  "
    Perfect distraction from writing my english paper!  I'll give it a watch and post some advice.
    RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RageGummy
    @Cataphract1014: Mucho's appreciation 
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @RageGummy: Just watched it.

Things to start with:
    • You got gas way too early.  You want to have a gateway well on the way before you start gas.  You were sitting on a ton before you could even use it and those probes would be better served getting minerals.
    • Build more unit producing buildings.  Instead of one gateway, try and get 3 or 4.  It is a good way to use money you have stockpiled, and you can get more units out faster.
    • Once your opponent had that many Void ray, there wasn't much you'd be able to do unless you got even more.  To stop this from happening be aggressive.  Nothing slows a players unit production down like being aggressive.
    • Expand early and often.  It will eat up minerals you currently have, and will bring in more in the future.
    • Always be making units.  Stalkers and zealots are really good units for early game.  A good mix of those could clean up a base easily.
    • Don't be afraid to attack.  In the practice league, there is not better place to try and figure out what works for you and what doesn't.  If you woulda sent your first zealots to his mineral line, you could have panicked him. (Even I struggle with this one.  I get super nervous that they will have a gagillion guys and I'll lose.)
    • Instead of building a gas when you did, you want to build a pylon.  Pylon at 8 food and a gateway at 12.  That is a pretty good order to start with.  Don't start gas until after the gateway is started because you don't even need it to make anything until another building after the gateway is put down.  Before that gateway finishes, you want another pylon to go down too.  Nearly every unit protoss take up more than one supply. (This one and the first one go hand in hand, but I figured more info would be good.)
    • Keep ahead of supply lock.  Don't set out to build 5 pylons at once, but build one every 45 seconds or so.
    • Never take your nexus rally point off the minerals.  A probe standing around isn't doing anything good for you.
    • Don't spread your pylons out so much.  If someone were to harass you and take a pylon or two out, you would have lost power on several buildings.
    • If you send a probe to build one building as you are placing it hold shift and you can get him to follow another order direct after that so it would be B -> E -> hold down shift -> click mineral line.  This way right after he finishes starting the portal, he will start to collect money.

Things you did good:
    • You were making lots of probes.  It is good to continuously make them. (I struggle with this.)
    • You used Chronoboost. I like to hotkey my townhall to number 4.  This way I can always be ready to use the things that come with it.
    • You were getting upgrades.  They can be the different between a win and a lost if your opponent doesn't get them.
    • 3 workers on gas.
    • You had a good mix of units.

If you post some more, I'll take a look at them.
    jebbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jebbeck

The best tip is simply to spawn more overlords.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

...I would give tips, and then I remembered I need to reinstall the game on my mac, and I already own a copy so the Guest Pass wouldn't help me.  >.> 

I guess I shall reinstall the game, again...for like the 3rd time on this very same laptop.

RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RageGummy
    @Cataphract1014: The post you made is full of win.  

Shall try these tips out tomorrow along with the rest and post the match I play. Will also pass out the guest pass's tomorrow.  
    Thanks GB! 
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @RageGummy said:
    " @Cataphract1014: The post you made is full of win.   Shall try these tips out tomorrow along with the rest and post the match I play. Will also pass out the guest pass's tomorrow.  Thanks GB!  "
    NP dude.  I actually really like watching replays and trying to be helpful.  I feel it help me become a better player as well.  Keep postin' replays and I'll do my best to offer some helpful advice.
    RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RageGummy
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @RageGummy: 

Just watched it.  You did do better.  Your attack force was much bigger which is good, but you should just mass one unit like you did in the start.  Instead of that 3rd gateway so early, you should have used those 150 minerals on a cybernetics core.  Stalkers are great against roaches, and if he gets mutas like he did, they can take those out as well.  If you would have had more stalkers in your last attack, it would have been a race to kill each others bases.

Another thing to work on is building placement, I didn't really touch on it with the last one, but you can use your gateways to block part of your main entrance.  This makes the player either destroy those taking away time from killing your inner base, or funnel his units threw a tighter space to get killed easier.  Stalkers have double the range of roaches, so if you are funneling them through a tight space with your zealots holding them back, your stalkers can hit them from a good distance and take them out.  Stalkers also do extra damage vs armored targets which roaches are.

For your first expansion, you really don't wanna go so far away.  It is impossible to defend something that far away.  And especially don't build one where your opponent can see it going up.

A few air units against zerg is always a good idea even if they aren't going air units that can attack.  If you take out some overlords, it will set him back if you can get enough or if he isn't watching his supply closely.
    RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RageGummy
    Sephirenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sephirenn

I'm not very good either, but I don;t have a guest pass to give away for StarCraft 2!

I guess I will just collaborate on the chat rooms to get hints!

conchobharlust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By conchobharlust

dood i use toss as my main, and i gotta tell you, most important thing is probes, when u get to about 9 of them make a pylon, then start on a forge if u wanna defend ur base with cannons or a gateway if u wanna with troops. then make a few zealots if u r goin for troops to start and make cybernetics. 
    its usually a good idea to make 2 forges (or 2 cybernetics if u intend on using air) to get upgrades done faster. it helps alot, trust me. 
    always make a forge though, and upgrade plasma sheilds first, they affect everything you make AND regenerate. very useful 
    but this is afterwords 
    if your going for more ground then i advise : you make cybernetics core fast then like 8 gateways eventually and get the warp gate upgrade asap and make the gateways warps, asap, then start crankin out zealots and stalkers (even better is to get dark templars and research blink for stalkers) dark temps r alot better than zealots usually and can decimate any race easily if you hit fast and hard against their base 

if you want more air, then get cybernetics cores fast and then make lots of void rays and a few carriers (you will need fleet beacon) make sure to upgrade fully and to get both beacon upgrades. 
    eventually you can make a mothership because it cloakes your troops, which makes them that much more effective. 
    all in all unless you have lots of troops you should generally expnad when you have twice the minerals required for a nezus, hatch, comcen. 
    and as someone stated before, make a detector unit like an overseer, observer, raven and just send it into your enemies base to die or monitor. then look at what theyve got and build a counter for it.  
    for example, if all they have is thors, make lots of anti armour troops with a low food count (dark templars,stalkers,zealots, ect)  
    DO NOT use heavy against thors, they will rape you. 
    DO NOT use heavy against void rays...they will RAPE YOU! 
    DO NOT use photon cannons vs seige tanks, they will rape you...from a distance in which they will do nothing butwaste your minerals  
    DO NOT use heavy against stalkers, hydralisks, marauders, you know the deal, rapage 
    DO NOT be zerg unless you are getting better at the game. in SC1 zerg were easy to use, so were terran, now toss is prolly the easiest to use. more staightforward, but expensive because of that, but powerful. 

if you want you could always photorush them but if u fail u will usually lose. on the other hand you can win a game in 70 seconds so if the odds are favoured for you i recomend it. 
    (photonrush: make a pylon asap, make more probes, make a forge asap. as soon as you start making a forge start building a pylon (better 2) in your enemies base. if its terran make SURE its right next to their command center so they dont make seige and own you. but usually make right in their base anyways. then wander around their base with your probe, patroll it around if you want. and as soon as your pylons and forge are done focus on building as many photons as possible. but make sure you always have at least 2 pylons alive) 

thats all the advise i can give you for now, enjoy ^^
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By tobygw
    @RageGummy: I've never played Starcraft, which is why I can't give you information but would appreciate one of the guest passes if you offered. I'd save it until I get my new computer though, but I would like to try it out. That is only if you don't know any of your friends who you would want to give it to since I wouldn't want to take it away from someone else.
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spectreman

I have a lot of problems too. You need build more SCV and barracks. Look at online videos. The pros attack more fast, you can wai longer.  

And double contrl+click in a unite to select all unites of type in the screen. How I wish had looked at the hotkeys list before.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gamefreak9
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aetos
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @RageGummy:
    forget what they all said, protoss has free wins until diamond, heres a guide 
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft?feature=chclk#p/c/7668B099ED4595AA/2/rYURoBXkFeA     jus copy it, over and over again, you will see, i don't even play protoss and its racked up easy wins. "
    What? That will give you easy wins till silver. Its the most used toss build, therefor most people have a basic idea how to counter it. And it has the side affect of making new players rely to much on Gateway units. 

My vote goes to 2 gate robo for the standard toss build that you should get good at first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.