Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

I know how to beat Brad

• 59 results
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

OK so first off, I'm not super into Starcraft or anything. I played the original a ton back in the day but I was pretty young and never played it to get good. I've played a bit of SC2 and have watched Brad play multiple matches thanks to TNT as well as replays. So I'm no expert here, but I think I know how to beat Brad:

Build a bunch of anti-air defense around your resource gathering base (whatever it's called). 

It seems like Brad's strategy is to fight off the other player's light harassment until he can build a ton of those flying laser dudes (technical term), and then he just flies over and destroys the main resource gathering building. At that point the other player is pretty much screwed unless they've got a ton of expansion going on. 

Again, I know astonishingly little about StarCraft tactics, but wouldn't that work? Wouldn't it just hold Brad's attack off every time if you built enough anti-air defense around that building? I'm sure Brad has other tactics, but what I've described seems like a tactic that Brad uses a lot. 

**Edit: 
    For the record, I now realize this strategy alone would do next to nothing. Although it may help as a small part of a larger strategy, idk. Sorry to insult your supreme abilities Brad. I didn't mean it, honest!   :)
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By hakooon

Is Brad a Void Ray rusher? In that case, just rush him before he can build his precious Void Rays. Just make a couple of marines will do, and just pump out more and direct them into his base. If you are Zerg then just do a quick Zergling rush and you'll win. If he uses the normal Void-rush tactic then he should have no defense until he gets his first Void Ray. :)

Edit: Just noticed that you say he's defensive at first. In that case, just get Reapers (Terran), Dark Templars (Protoss), or Roaches (Zerg) and rush him as fast as you can without him detecting you.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cataphract1014

You are assuming that Brad wouldn't see what you are doing and attempt to counter it.  If he noticed all of your "anti-air" units and buildings, he would make units that counter that.

If here were to make Void rays, and you were to attempt to counter them with JUST anti air defense, you would lose if you turtled the whole time.  Once your void rays number above 10, they can pretty much take out anything.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

You really need a specific strategy to beat Brad? If you can get to the silver league you're set.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " You are assuming that Brad wouldn't see what you are doing and attempt to counter it.  If he noticed all of your "anti-air" units and buildings, he would make units that counter that.   If here were to make Void rays, and you were to attempt to counter them with JUST anti air defense, you would lose if you turtled the whole time.  Once your void rays number above 10, they can pretty much take out anything. "
    I don't know anything about Starcraft, but Brad seems pretty smart and he'd probably be able to adapt. Good players for anything don't just have 1 strategy, they adapt to whatever their opponent is doing.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " You are assuming that Brad wouldn't see what you are doing and attempt to counter it.  If he noticed all of your "anti-air" units and buildings, he would make units that counter that.   If here were to make Void rays, and you were to attempt to counter them with JUST anti air defense, you would lose if you turtled the whole time.  Once your void rays number above 10, they can pretty much take out anything. "
    But if you spend all of your resources on a ton of ground units instead of using it all on a few void rays, you could rush him while he's trying to "Void Ray Rush". Again I know very little about this.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

If their strategy is to watch Flash on youtube until they can ape it, they have zero ability to improvise.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hakooon

Yeah, in any case you should be scouting as much as possible to counter what he's doing.

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vital
    @JJWeatherman said:
     It seems like Brad's strategy is to fight off the other player's light harassment until he can build a ton of those flying laser dudes (technical term), and then he just flies over and destroys the main resource gathering building. At that point the other player is pretty much screwed unless they've got a ton of expansion going on.  Again, I know astonishingly little about StarCraft tactics, but wouldn't that work? Wouldn't it just hold Brad's attack off every time if you built enough anti-air defense around that building? I'm sure Brad has other tactics, but what I've described seems like a tactic that Brad uses a lot. "

Oh, so he will never advance into platinum... You cant void ray rush against a plat+ player.. (Unless they are retarded)
    beef_melody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beef_melody

Cast bufu.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    But if you spend all of your resources on a ton of ground units instead of using it all on a few void rays, you could rush him while he's trying to "Void Ray Rush". Again I know very little about this. "
    Even if they someone is doing a "Void ray rush", they will have SOME ground units.   You need a gateway and a cybernetics core to even get stargates, so it would be a waste to have those buildings and not be using them for something.

All during the TNT, I don't remember brad making void rays anyway, he had a big mix of ground units.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @beef_melody said:
    " Cast bufu. "
    Well obviously there's no defense against that. That's why Brad's never beaten Vinny in a game of StarCraft.
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hakooon
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    But if you spend all of your resources on a ton of ground units instead of using it all on a few void rays, you could rush him while he's trying to "Void Ray Rush". Again I know very little about this. "
    Even if they someone is doing a "Void ray rush", they will have SOME ground units.   You need a gateway and a cybernetics core to even get stargates, so it would be a waste to have those buildings and not be using them for something.   All during the TNT, I don't remember brad making void rays anyway, he had a big mix of ground units. "
    Actually if you're really doing a Void Ray rush, then it's smart to save your money so that you can afford a Void Ray and keep 'em coming as soon as your Starport is up. This is ofcourse if you don't get scouted while building the cybernetics core or starport, because then it's smart to have some ground units in case you get rushed.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Cataphract1014: @hakooon: Alright, my logic is clearly flawed. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of strategy you guys would go into a match against Brad with, knowing what you do about his play-style.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aetos
    @Vital said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
     It seems like Brad's strategy is to fight off the other player's light harassment until he can build a ton of those flying laser dudes (technical term), and then he just flies over and destroys the main resource gathering building. At that point the other player is pretty much screwed unless they've got a ton of expansion going on.  Again, I know astonishingly little about StarCraft tactics, but wouldn't that work? Wouldn't it just hold Brad's attack off every time if you built enough anti-air defense around that building? I'm sure Brad has other tactics, but what I've described seems like a tactic that Brad uses a lot. "
      Oh, so he will never advance into platinum... You cant void ray rush against a plat+ player.. (Unless they are retarded) "

Brad's already in Platinum (It was in one of his updates), so he must be pretty good, and he probably uses other strategies.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

From what I;ve seen Brad just like to mass sentrys and stalkers more than anything. 

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By memo
    @JJWeatherman:  yea i dont really play starcraft that much..its a fun game just dont get into it, i understand it i only play it wurh my bro on law, we always get rushed lol
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX
    @ryanwho said:
    " You really need a specific strategy to beat Brad? If you can get to the silver league you're set. "
    Brad's in platinum right now...lol
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Cataphract1014: @hakooon: Alright, my logic is clearly flawed. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of strategy you guys would go into a match against Brad with, knowing what you do about his play-style. "
    I've only seen a few of his replays from the TNT, but I would trying and do the standard MMM with tank back up.  If he were to starting trying to go void rays, I'd make Vikings to help counter that, but I would also start to get aggressive on his expansions.  Void rays are expensive and if you can knock out a few of his expansions or at least get some probes at them, it would cripple his void ray output.

But if Brad is in platinum, he is better than I am.  I'm at the top of my silver league, last time I played I was 7th, but I am not good enough to say that I could beat Brad.  Everyone seems to have the running joke with Brad's gaming ability because of the quicklooks, but he seems to be genuinely good at Starcraft.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fentonalpha

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this Brad for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' Jeffs and Ryans. This Brad'll swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn Brad.  

Or alternatively i say we take off and the nuke the whole God'amn Brad from Orbit.

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Six

how many of you would play as well in a room full of activity on a live stream, compared to how you play at home?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By wefwefasdf

Brad is in the platinum league. I remember him updating Twitter about it a couple days ago.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @fentonalpha said:
    "  Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this Brad for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' Jeffs and Ryans. This Brad'll swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn Brad.    Or alternatively i say we take off and the nuke the whole God'amn Brad from Orbit. "
    Day-um son.
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hakooon

I would probably not stand a chance against Brad, but the best counter for a Void Ray rush is to rush him first. Once he gets an army of those it's game over.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Brad

You got me, you cracked the code. That's some master strategizing right there! I'm doomed!

It's ridiculous to draw generalizations about the way someone plays StarCraft II based on watching one or two of their matches. Every game is different and demands different thinking and execution. Unless someone only knows how to 6 pool zergling rush or some other silly cheese strat, even a vaguely competent player will change their play style based on the map and what their opponent is doing. To illustrate how wrong this line of thinking is, I only use void rays, or indeed any kind of air, during maybe one in five matches, if not one in 10.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Six said:

" how many of you would play as well in a room full of activity on a live stream, compared to how you play at home? "

I definitely know exactly how that is. Well not exactly, as I don't stream over the internet. But the pressure of playing around other people gets to me all of the time. 

@Brad said:
    " You got me, you cracked the code. That's some master strategizing right there! I'm doomed! It's ridiculous to draw generalizations about the way someone plays StarCraft II based on watching one or two of their matches. Every game is different and demands different thinking and execution. Unless someone only knows how to 6 pool zergling rush or some other silly cheese strat, even a vaguely competent player will change their play style based on the map and what their opponent is doing. To illustrate how wrong this line of thinking is, I only use void rays, or indeed any kind of air, during maybe one in five matches, if not one in 10. "
    Yeah, my errors in logic have been pointed out already. I've been properly owned. It was by Brad though, so I except it.  :P
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Milkman

Revealing Brad's strategy to the entire internet is kind of a jerk move.

EDIT: Seems like I'm a little late to the party here.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Milkman said:
    " Revealing Brad's strategy to the entire internet is kind of a jerk move. "
    Except there is no "one" strategy he would use every game.

Every game is different, that is what makes starcraft multiplayer so good.  You can't just go into a match and say, "Oh, I'm just going to do void rays!" and not do anything but void rays no matter what the other player is doing.  If they are any good, you will lose every time.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spoonman671

Barrel roll?

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hakooon
    @Brad said:

" You got me, you cracked the code. That's some master strategizing right there! I'm doomed! It's ridiculous to draw generalizations about the way someone plays StarCraft II based on watching one or two of their matches. Every game is different and demands different thinking and execution. Unless someone only knows how to 6 pool zergling rush or some other silly cheese strat, even a vaguely competent player will change their play style based on the map and what their opponent is doing. To illustrate how wrong this line of thinking is, I only use void rays, or indeed any kind of air, during maybe one in five matches, if not one in 10. "

WE CRACKED THE CODE GUYS!! *HIGH FIVE* On a serious note though,  you are speaking the truth. The thread should be renamed "I know how to beat Brad's void rush strategy".

@Milkman said:
    " Revealing Brad's strategy to the entire internet is kind of a jerk move.  EDIT: Seems like I'm a little late to the party here. "

Well, it's ONE of Brad's strategies. Or one of everybodys strategies really. If you're a good player you should have plenty of strategies ready depending on what your opponent is doing. :)
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Milkman said:
    " Revealing Brad's strategy to the entire internet is kind of a jerk move. "
    Except there is no "one" strategy he would use every game.  Every game is different, that is what makes starcraft multiplayer so good.  You can't just go into a match and say, "Oh, I'm just going to do void rays!" and not do anything but void rays no matter what the other player is doing.  If they are any good, you will lose every time. "
    This post pretty much sums up my time with the original Starcraft multiplayer back in the day.
    Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I've gotten auto-tune to work with VOIP, so I've got the ultimate advantage over anybody, psychological warfare.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By breadfan
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @Milkman said:
    Revealing Brad's strategy to the entire internet is kind of a jerk move.
    Except there is no "one" strategy he would use every game.    
    That and Brad has played numerous StarCraft games during streams throughout beta, and after the game's release. His strategy ain't no secret.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Rayeth
    @Brad: 
    That may be true Brad, but if we were to watch a number of your replays would could eventually see the "Brad-style" emerge.  Things like where you like to build buildings, how you like to move units around the field and such are traits that sort of identify gamers who have played a lot of a specific game.  Maybe it would be a tendency to love Immortal/Stalker pushes or to rushing with 4 gate or whatever.   We simply don't have enough data, yet.  I'm guessing this is part of the reason you are learning Terran (besides making the stream more interesting).

Of course each game will be different and the units build won't be the same, but when facing a match-up against a known opponent, it makes sense to see their old replays and find things that are similar.  Of course, that isn't any substitute for scouting in game, but it can help you to know that so-and-so loves to use cliffs or player x likes controlling the Xel'naga towers.  That in turn will help you know where to find their army or what sort of plays to expect from them.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By sjschmidt93

Or he'd scout it, not build air units, and make your 2000 minerals of AA structures useless.

Plus you could never just sit on one base for that long.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By karneh
    @JJWeatherman said:

"build a ton of those flying laser dudes (technical term) "

I'm sorry but I just don't understand. This is all too advanced for me. What am I even doing here?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brad
    @Rayeth said:
    " @Brad:  That may be true Brad, but if we were to watch a number of your replays would could eventually see the "Brad-style" emerge.  Things like where you like to build buildings, how you like to move units around the field and such are traits that sort of identify gamers who have played a lot of a specific game.  Maybe it would be a tendency to love Immortal/Stalker pushes or to rushing with 4 gate or whatever.   We simply don't have enough data, yet.  I'm guessing this is part of the reason you are learning Terran (besides making the stream more interesting). Of course each game will be different and the units build won't be the same, but when facing a match-up against a known opponent, it makes sense to see their old replays and find things that are similar.  Of course, that isn't any substitute for scouting in game, but it can help you to know that so-and-so loves to use cliffs or player x likes controlling the Xel'naga towers.  That in turn will help you know where to find their army or what sort of plays to expect from them. "

Sure, there are plenty of tendencies in the way I play... if anything I think I've gotten a little too formulaic with the Protoss. But I'm not going to list any of them in a public forum. :) Anyway, saying "Brad always void ray rushes, just learn to beat that" sounds especially ignorant of the way the game works, not least of all because I've never actually rushed void rays that I can remember. It's really easy to beat if you scout at all.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Milkman
    @Karn said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

"build a ton of those flying laser dudes (technical term) "

I'm sorry but I just don't understand. This is all too advanced for me. What am I even doing here? "
    FLD, man. Keep up. That's right up there with BM for Batman as the go-to Starcraft terminology.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By YoungFrey

And of course playing a game while talking about it is totally different than trying to win.  And Quicklooks aren't about exhibiting skill, they are about demonstrating the game to give people a feel for it.  And they are also usually done for games they have only put a little bit of time into.  Quicklooks shouldn't be used as an indicator of anybody's game aptitude.  The fact Brad has some serious achievements in hardcore games under his belts means something.  Quicklooks tell us nothing about his skill.

And for the record, I'm not saying the skill level of anyone matters, I'm tired of people bagging on Brad for no reason whatsoever.

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zuul
    @YoungFrey said:
    "And of course playing a game while talking about it is totally different than trying to win.  And Quicklooks aren't about exhibiting skill, they are about demonstrating the game to give people a feel for it.  And they are also usually done for games they have only put a little bit of time into.  Quicklooks shouldn't be used as an indicator of anybody's game aptitude.  The fact Brad has some serious achievements in hardcore games under his belts means something.  Quicklooks tell us nothing about his skill.  And for the record, I'm not saying the skill level of anyone matters, I'm tired of people bagging on Brad for no reason whatsoever. "

It's fun. Isn't that reason enough?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brad
    @Zuul said:
    " @YoungFrey said:
    "And of course playing a game while talking about it is totally different than trying to win.  And Quicklooks aren't about exhibiting skill, they are about demonstrating the game to give people a feel for it.  And they are also usually done for games they have only put a little bit of time into.  Quicklooks shouldn't be used as an indicator of anybody's game aptitude.  The fact Brad has some serious achievements in hardcore games under his belts means something.  Quicklooks tell us nothing about his skill.  And for the record, I'm not saying the skill level of anyone matters, I'm tired of people bagging on Brad for no reason whatsoever. "
    It's fun. Isn't that reason enough? "

So how does it feel being a sociopath, anyway?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Brad said:
    " @Zuul said:
    " @YoungFrey said:
     So how does it feel being a sociopath, anyway? "
    Yeah that really wasn't the point of this thread. I don't want it turning into that either. Mods, feel free to lock this.
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By VisariLoyalist

my strategy is to use sensor towers

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gike987
    @YoungFrey said:

" And of course playing a game while talking about it is totally different than trying to win.  And Quicklooks aren't about exhibiting skill, they are about demonstrating the game to give people a feel for it.  And they are also usually done for games they have only put a little bit of time into.  Quicklooks shouldn't be used as an indicator of anybody's game aptitude.  The fact Brad has some serious achievements in hardcore games under his belts means something.  Quicklooks tell us nothing about his skill.  And for the record, I'm not saying the skill level of anyone matters, I'm tired of people bagging on Brad for no reason whatsoever. "

Agreed, the "brad sucks at games" thing is getting old. He may not be good at talking and playing games at the same time but that doesn't mean he is bad at games.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By ThePickle

Just try to prevent him from photobombing.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @gike987: 

It is clear to me as well that he is good at Starcraft.  Anyone that is ragging on him better be in Diamond tier, or they need to shut up.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fentonalpha

If you cut his hands off before playing it evens the playing field..... so i hear.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @Brad said:
    " @Zuul said:
    " @YoungFrey said:
     So how does it feel being a sociopath, anyway? "
    Don't mind the trolls, they are looking for the major e-creds "lololol totaly pwned br@d!"
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

You can nots beat him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.