I love that this is getting everyone to discuss a PC game.

#1 Posted by C4Turtle (37 posts) -

I listen to quite a few podcasts. (Bombcast takes priority) and there is always a pattern when big releases come out. All the different gaming podcasts headline there discussions with the most recent big console release, even when that title is available on PC as well. it's really refreshing to have a PC exclusive take the spotlight for a bit. 

P.S. 
Totally not a PC fan boy, I own all the consoles. I just like a change of pace every so often.

#2 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Its pretty nice to see what may appear to be a spark in the PC revival (not that it was dead, it was just getting stale). They'll also be in a treat for Diablo III when that hits the calender and maybe BF3 if the PC version remains to be the superior one.

#3 Edited by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Meteora said:

" Its pretty nice to see what may appear to be a spark in the PC revival (not that it was dead, it was just getting stale). They'll also be in a treat for Diablo III when that hits the calender and maybe BF3 if the PC version remains to be the superior one. "

even if the PC version is superior its the principal of the matter that legit battlefield has always been PC exclusive. it hurts me PC fanboy heart that it wont be. but yes diablo 3 along with this wil make the PC come back to peoples attention
#4 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

PC does just fine. I mean WoW is one of the most popular games of all time. PC gaming will be great, as long as Blizz, Valve, and Bioware keep making games.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Feanor: The OP isn't saying that PC takes are dying. He's stating that he's happy that a PC game is getting a lot of coverage, since console game releases have been in most of the spotlight for quite sometime.

#6 Posted by Mcfart (1611 posts) -

who cares what platform it's on, people are covering it because it's a Korean gem, not because of the PC.

#7 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

imagine what will happen when diablo 3 comes

#8 Posted by Mcfart (1611 posts) -
@apoptosis61 said:
" imagine what will happen when diablo 3 comes "
Diabo is bigger then Starcraft?
#9 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
Diabo is bigger then Starcraft? "
yup
#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Do you know why this brings you pleasure?  Personally I'd be happy if people started talking about Commander Keen, Jumping Flash, and Solstice, so maybe I understand.

#11 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

Diablo is not bigger then Starcraft buddy,   
its not even close.  "
starcraft bigger than diablo? even now we speak there are shitloads of ppl playing diablo2 ........ diablo is the game that settle online gaming , the game and its influence is just unsurpassable
#12 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@apoptosis61 said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
starcraft bigger than diablo? even now we speak there are shitloads of ppl playing diablo2 ........ diablo is the game that settle online gaming , the game and its influence is just unsurpassable "
Is this a joke? The amount of people playing diablo is an absolute JOKE in comparison to the amount of people still playing Starcraft. You can't be serious.
#13 Posted by MAST (730 posts) -
@CHAUVface said:
" I listen to quite a few podcasts. (Bombcast takes priority) and there is always a pattern when big releases come out. All the different gaming podcasts headline there discussions with the most recent big console release, even when that title is available on PC as well. it's really refreshing to have a PC exclusive take the spotlight for a bit.  P.S. Totally not a PC fan boy, I own all the consoles. I just like a change of pace every so often. "

Well, most games nowadays are made with consoles in mind first and foremost. So even though a game might get ported onto the PC, it's usually inferior.

Also, games on consoles are just better. Period. You don't see very many epic games like Uncharted on the PC. Hell, I could list off quite a few top tier games that only exist on the console. Piracy on the PC has made so many developers shift their focus to consoles. It's not that PC tech can't handle games like Uncharted, it's just that no one really wants to develop primarily for the PC anymore.

To be honest. I think the increased PC talk surrounding the release of SC2 is more of a sad thing, really. It bums me out, because it just shows how quiet and shallow PC gaming has become. No one really talks much about the PC until Blizzard or Valve releases a PC game, WoW gets an expansion, or some other halfway decent RTS/MMO comes out. I mean really. The only thing the PC has going for it anymore is Blizzard and Valve, and the fact that RTS games and MMO's don't really play well on a console. The only other thing most people play besides that are the occasional Steam game.

PC gaming is slowly but surely becoming a wasteland, and there are very few things keeping it alive. I say that as someone who's been primarily a PC gamer my whole life. PC gaming has been with me for as long as I can remember. I feel like a close relative is dying... It wouldn't surprise me if PC gaming eventually mirrors the arcade scene. Where it still exists in some capacity, but it's a shell of it's former self. Really, that's already happened to a degree.

Oh well I guess. Consoles are practically PC's now anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if next console generation they take it the rest of the way. To where consoles have practically obtained identical feature parody with actual PC's. At least to the general consumer.
#14 Posted by Spoonman671 (4601 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
starcraft bigger than diablo? even now we speak there are shitloads of ppl playing diablo2 ........ diablo is the game that settle online gaming , the game and its influence is just unsurpassable "
Is this a joke? The amount of people playing diablo is an absolute JOKE in comparison to the amount of people still playing Starcraft. You can't be serious. "
Diablo is no country's national pastime.
#15 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1413 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
Is this a joke? The amount of people playing diablo is an absolute JOKE in comparison to the amount of people still playing Starcraft. You can't be serious. "
Diablo is no country's national pastime. "
Lets just all agree PC talk is going to pick up again when Diablo comes out and stop this quoting now
#16 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
He's not your buddy, guy.
#17 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
think you must go back in time when diablo was out and no chair available to sit and play in every net cofee :P cant remember such thing with starcraft
#18 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -
@Jeknod said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
He's not your buddy, guy. "
oh god I just creased up.  GG Jeknod, gg.

I also like the PC game chatter, we need Dave on podcasts more, dave and his obscure PC games. (Seriously, his explanation of EVE got me interested, then I played the free trial and realised it was so complicated I couldn't stand it) but still!
#19 Posted by Jazz (2260 posts) -

You mean Mac game right ?
what is this Pee Cee thing you speak of?

#20 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@Rehehelly said:
" @Jeknod said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @Mcfart said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
 yup "
wrong!

its not even close.  "
He's not your buddy, guy. "
oh god I just creased up.  GG Jeknod, gg.  I also like the PC game chatter, we need Dave on podcasts more, dave and his obscure PC games. (Seriously, his explanation of EVE got me interested, then I played the free trial and realised it was so complicated I couldn't stand it) but still! "
Diablo is more accessible though. Starcraft is special. 

And grats on playing eve : D 
I used to seriously play it-Never ever want to do that again. playing 1000 hours of any game in that short amount of time is just crazy.  
Grats on at least trying though, most people simply do not even get that far  :P 
#21 Posted by Jazz (2260 posts) -

AFAIK Diablo is  bigger in the west than Starcraft. By quite a long way. 
Not everyone digs RTS games, but most people will play a game like Diablo..be it on pc, mac or psx.
It's just all this hype and the Korean thing make it seem otherwise, at least thats the impression i had.

#22 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said: 
think you must go back in time when diablo was out and no chair available to sit and play in every net cofee :P cant remember such thing with starcraft "
Diablo is out isn't it?

oh do you mean in 1997 when Diablo came out and Starcraft hadn't yet? 

-   World Canadian Bureau (WGA) "
i mean the impact that diablo had and still have , starcraft never did such thing....
#23 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:

" @apoptosis61 said:

" @Fragstoff said:
" @apoptosis61 said: 
think you must go back in time when diablo was out and no chair available to sit and play in every net cofee :P cant remember such thing with starcraft "
Diablo is out isn't it?

oh do you mean in 1997 when Diablo came out and Starcraft hadn't yet? 

-   World Canadian Bureau (WGA) "
i mean the impact that diablo had and still have , starcraft never did such thing.... "
Impact? on you apparently, just admit that you played a lot more Diablo lol  "
yeah i played diablo a lot, if you put these 2 games aside and compare them about the influence and hysteria that brought , i think diablo is far superior than starcraft

even now with all those shiny mmo there are loads of people playing diablo2
#24 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

Diablo might just be more popular in North America, but SC is definatly much more popular then diablo. I can't wait for diablo 3 to be out!
#25 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2469 posts) -
@apoptosis61 said:
" yeah i played diablo a lot, if you put these 2 games aside and compare them about the influence and hysteria that brought , i think diablo is far superior than starcraft"
You are half-right. What people seem to forget is how many RTS-games worked until StarCraft came along, the best example being Total Annihilation - tons of different units without any unique outstanding characteristics, virtually identical playable factions. The only way to win was "mass unit" production. StarCraft completely turned that around, cutting down on the number of units and giving each one a distinct background and purpose, not to mention three races that could'nt be more different in culture and playstyle. StarCraft had a more profound impact that people give it credit for.
#26 Posted by Supernaut (11 posts) -
@CHAUVface said:
" I listen to quite a few podcasts. (Bombcast takes priority) and there is always a pattern when big releases come out. All the different gaming podcasts headline there discussions with the most recent big console release, even when that title is available on PC as well. it's really refreshing to have a PC exclusive take the spotlight for a bit.  P.S. Totally not a PC fan boy, I own all the consoles. I just like a change of pace every so often. "
I guess the ten year hold-out also has something to do with it. 

P.S.  
Ween rule
#27 Posted by Makula (59 posts) -

I'm happy Starcraft is being discussed outside from Korea :D

#28 Posted by C4Turtle (37 posts) -
 @Supernaut said:
" @CHAUVface said:
I guess the ten year hold-out also has something to do with it.   P.S.   Ween rule "
Yes, they do.
#29 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@apoptosis61: 

I love diablo 2, that game ate up years of my life, but to say that it had a bigger influence and hysteria compared to starcraft(the national sport of a COUNTRY) is a little absurd.

You know how there is ESPN?  Korea has TV networks that broadcast starcraft games 24/7.
#30 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -
@Cataphract1014: national sport of a country , diablo2 was worldwide phenomenon ^^

and i wish we had here a tv channel that broadcast games !!!!
#31 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@apoptosis61 said:
" @Cataphract1014: national sport of a country , diablo2 was worldwide phenomenon ^^  and i wish we had here a tv channel that broadcast games !!!! "
Sales figures alone state that Starcraft was bigger.

But don't get me wrong, I LOVEEEEEEEEEE Diablo 2.  It is one of my all time favorite games, and I will be count the days when D3 finally gets a release date.

And I too wish we had a TV station that broadcasted SC2 games 24/7.  I would have that on all day.
#32 Posted by Wunder_ (1169 posts) -

bump so this thread dies. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.