Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

I'm ashamed...but I feel I must confess...

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By audiosnag

I've thought a lot about this and....I have to give up on Zerg.

Ok well I don't have to but I think I'm gonna. I've been playing Zerg since the game came out, they've always been my favorite race and always will be. I"ll probably play them again when Heart of the Swarm comes out. I'm switching for two reasons though, I don't play nearly enough to get good with them (not that the other races are easier to play but Zerg plays really different and between drone/unit management, larvae management, creep spread etc, requires a lot of multitasking) and they just feel really limited options wise. Terran and Toss early game seem to have a lot of different routs you can go to change things up whereas Zerg seem to have a very few limited paths you can take. This may just stem from me not being great with them but...yeah there it is.

Anyway I think I'm gonna go Toss, between  Brood War and 2 I've played them the least of any race, mainly cause aside from loving Zerg, the Terrans scrappiness appealed to me more then the big shiny laser guns did. But I love what you can do with gateway units, sentries are effing rad and they just have a lot of cool stuff at their disposal.

So yeah after that long winded and probably unnecessary exposition...any tips from Toss Bombers? I'm playing against the AI right now to get the build orders and general feel down. Not losing a worker to build a building is freakin awesome. But just curious about general tips (yes i could go to teamliquid.net and I have but I "know" you guys better...so there)

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By endless_void

That's a shame because zerg is probably the strongest race in the game.....

once zerg hits critical mass, theres no going back. And this is from a protoss player's perspective.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ChristianCastillo

The divorce process is a real pain, I say you work it out.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By audiosnag
    @endless_void:
    Yeah I def agree, I'm not switching cause I think there's a problem with the race, it's more me and the lack of skill.  I have a problem reaching that critical mass cause at some point in the game I start slipping on my macro and it goes down hill from there.

@ChristianCastillo:
    Yeah just getting the new hotkeys and what not down is a bit of a bitch.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By endless_void
    @audiosnag: What league are you?
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Well, as a Terran player I can tell you what I don't like.  God damn, high templar!  Between feedback and psi storm, it tends to tear through infantry if you go that route.  Feedback in general is a bitch.   Plus the archon play afterward can get pretty rough.

And immortals definitely scare me if I have some armor.  People love their colossi, but I find myself countering those fairly well.  Templar and immortals cause me the most grief

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csl316
    @endless_void said:
    " That's a shame because zerg is probably the strongest race in the game.....  once zerg hits critical mass, theres no going back. And this is from a protoss player's perspective. "
    It's the ability to instantly remake your army that scares me.  Late game I could be pummeling them wave after wave, and I get stuck on defense while they could go with never ending aggression.  Definitely a cool race, but I've been playing Terran for far too long.  Too bad you can't have a separate ladder ranking for each race.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audiosnag
    @endless_void: 
    I'm a lowly Silver, i think 5. Again I don't play a huge amount, i get distracted by other games an stuff. I figure though if I'm gonna switch better now then when I get in Gold.

@csl316:
    Immortals are awesome, I love watching them tear through tanks. Colossi are pretty rad too but seems like Terran just has to get some Vikings out and they go down pretty fast. Separate race ladders would be pretty awesome. I'm gonna stick with Zerg for 2v2. 
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By audiosnag

Played four games tonight, won 3. And I lost the one to a damn marine/scv all in.
    I goddamn love sentries. 2gate into 4gate robo seems to be working really damn well. Immortals continue to kick ass.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Sounds like you weren't making enough marines...

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnag

Never be not making marines.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Wipeout

Chrono boost a stalker asap to zap scouts or kiting marines.  4 gate 1-base rushes will pretty much get you to platinum.  You can't probe up as fast as you can drone, so oversaturate when you're preparing to expand.  Keep cronoboosting tech if you can remember to do so.  Keep observers floating around.  Thats all I got, but I'm a random player, so reading this might have made you worse at the game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @endless_void said:

" That's a shame because zerg is probably the strongest race in the game.....  once zerg hits critical mass, theres no going back. And this is from a protoss player's perspective. "

I'd disagree 100% on that last comment. Zerg is the absolute worst 200/200 race in the game. If anything, if zerg wants P/T to be constantly attacking them so the game never gets into a 200/200 vs 200/200 situation, because Zerg almost always gets crushed by such a margin that the opponent can go kill a few bases or end the game before Z can remake their army.

Zerg isn't for everyone OP. Though part of the zerg experience is getting so beaten down that you swear zerg is the worst race by a mile, planning to switch your race, then making a triumphant return to the swarm to crush some terran scum. I've played zerg for 3 years now, and I can't even tell you how many times I thought i was 100% sure that I was switching races. Never did though.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By wunder_
    @sixghost said:
    " @endless_void said:

I'd disagree 100% on that last comment. Zerg is the absolute worst 200/200 race in the game. If anything, if zerg wants P/T to be constantly attacking them so the game never gets into a 200/200 vs 200/200 situation, because Zerg almost always gets crushed by such a margin that the opponent can go kill a few bases or end the game before Z can remake their army.  Zerg isn't for everyone OP. Though part of the zerg experience is getting so beaten down that you swear zerg is the worst race by a mile, planning to switch your race, then making a triumphant return to the swarm to crush some terran scum. I've played zerg for 3 years now, and I can't even tell you how many times I thought i was 100% sure that I was switching races. Never did though. "
    :(
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By leburgan
    @sixghost:  Did the same with my toss, every race but yours is imba. At all levels.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By DystopiaX
    @endless_void said:
    It's late game they're strong though, and even then they require a lot of mechanical skill. I'm in the process of switching from toss to terran, myself. I just think they're stronger late game, and they're not bad defending early harass as well, idk. Just wanted a change of pace mostly.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H
    @audiosnag said:
    " Played four games tonight, won 3. And I lost the one to a damn marine/scv all in. I goddamn love sentries. 2gate into 4gate robo seems to be working really damn well. Immortals continue to kick ass. "
    Yep, I always go fast double gas and build a 3-4 sentries first before building other gateway units in every matchup.  You essentially become cheese and early marine/marauder all-in proof due to about a minute worth of forcefields if needed.  Also, I am about where you are right now (top silver). Against the terrans we will face it is way better to go templar than colossi though you should still get a robo after expanding to get observers.  Most terrans build now expecting colossi.  I've had three terrans ragequit after MM pushing at about 10 minutes only to lose every single marine to one or two storms then lose all of their heavily weakened marauders to zealots.  Even if they don't quit they are usually on one base (due to all resources going to army) while I have a fully functioning expansion.  The best thing is most of them will just continue with MM and tanks, instead of doing the smart thing and getting ghosts to EMP Most zergs we play will either roach rush (just go immortals with sentries and zealots) or fast expand.  I still have trouble with fast expand so I usually do something unpredictable (Last time I won against one I went Gateway units/Colossi/Mothership and vortexed half their army then killed the other half, ran all my zealots into the vortex then killed the first half when the vortex finished.)
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Bollard

I love Protoss cause of the dude that shouts "WE NEED ADDITIONAL PYLONS" all the time. 

No really.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By audiosnag
    @sixghost: 
    Yeah I've hit that a few times, after a losing streak getting tired of it then going on a winning streak and remembering why I love the race. Switching things up probably isn't conducive to getting better but I'm enjoying playing Toss for now. Until HotS comes out anyway.

@Ben_H:
    Storm is crazy good. I'm trying to work on none Colossi builds cause it seems like most players assume that's coming and Vikings are so good at taking them out. I wanna get better with Templar, they're all kinds of great.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @sixghost: Yeah but when Zerg hits 300/200, it can be pretty scary regardless of what the other guy has.

@audiosnag: Build more DTs.  Seriously.  Most games I win as Toss are thanks to DTs.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By sixghost

It's also scary when the protoss makes battlecruisers.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By csl316
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " I love Protoss cause of the dude that shouts "WE NEED ADDITIONAL PYLONS" all the time.  No really. "
    I used to love the Zerg in Brood War because of their bad ass announcer guy.  Can't play em in part 2 because their crazy girl sounds silly.
    Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Phantom

Don't choose Toss if you want more options in play, even if you go Stargate you will soon need a Robo for detection anyway.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Skytylz
    @audiosnag: As a toss player, 4 gate will pretty much win every time in silver league.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.