It's MLG time!

Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

For those of you who don’t follow the e-sports scene, the topic heading won’t mean much, but for those who do, it means a weekend full of intense gaming competition and lots of things brought to you by Stride and Dr. Pepper. I’ll be writing briefly about the Starcraft 2 that is scheduled to commence in just a few hours in Columbus, Ohio, although of course other competitive videogames are available.

This weekend’s tournament promises to be very interesting, perhaps mostly because this is the first major, major tournament of the year where the Western and Korean scenes will collide. We will find out if the gap between the two has shrunk, increased, or remained where it was in the waning months of 2011 (rather large). Perhaps even more intriguingly, we will see which players in particular have upped their game since we last saw them on the big stage, and who went into hibernation over the winter. The signs point to Stephano, Ret and Naniwa being the torch-bearers for the foreigner cause, but pre-tournament hype can often be misleading.

Meanwhile, it can be safely assumed that the Koreans will do their thing as usual, which is win, a lot. I don’t want to completely rule out a non-Korean victor, but honestly I can’t see anyone else beating them. The trio of DongRaeGu, MarineKing and MC come into Ohio as hot favourites, with players such as Oz and Polt shadowing them closely. The bottom-line is that these Koreans can all beat each other in a given series, and none of them should be unduly troubled by a foreigner, save perhaps for a Stephano or Naniwa in top form. My personal pick is Oz, purely because he comes into the tournament without too much hype to distract him from what he’s there to do, and he’s overdue a true breakout performance on the international stage.

Other than that, it will be interesting to see how MLG has changed up their presentation from last year. They weren’t doing much wrong on that front, particularly post the infamous Dallas event, but they are bound to keep up their efforts nonetheless. I’m less than keen on Rob Simpson as a caster, but hey, that’s just me. It certainly promises to be (another) great weekend of Starcraft 2. Who do you see winning this weekend?

#1 Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

For those of you who don’t follow the e-sports scene, the topic heading won’t mean much, but for those who do, it means a weekend full of intense gaming competition and lots of things brought to you by Stride and Dr. Pepper. I’ll be writing briefly about the Starcraft 2 that is scheduled to commence in just a few hours in Columbus, Ohio, although of course other competitive videogames are available.

This weekend’s tournament promises to be very interesting, perhaps mostly because this is the first major, major tournament of the year where the Western and Korean scenes will collide. We will find out if the gap between the two has shrunk, increased, or remained where it was in the waning months of 2011 (rather large). Perhaps even more intriguingly, we will see which players in particular have upped their game since we last saw them on the big stage, and who went into hibernation over the winter. The signs point to Stephano, Ret and Naniwa being the torch-bearers for the foreigner cause, but pre-tournament hype can often be misleading.

Meanwhile, it can be safely assumed that the Koreans will do their thing as usual, which is win, a lot. I don’t want to completely rule out a non-Korean victor, but honestly I can’t see anyone else beating them. The trio of DongRaeGu, MarineKing and MC come into Ohio as hot favourites, with players such as Oz and Polt shadowing them closely. The bottom-line is that these Koreans can all beat each other in a given series, and none of them should be unduly troubled by a foreigner, save perhaps for a Stephano or Naniwa in top form. My personal pick is Oz, purely because he comes into the tournament without too much hype to distract him from what he’s there to do, and he’s overdue a true breakout performance on the international stage.

Other than that, it will be interesting to see how MLG has changed up their presentation from last year. They weren’t doing much wrong on that front, particularly post the infamous Dallas event, but they are bound to keep up their efforts nonetheless. I’m less than keen on Rob Simpson as a caster, but hey, that’s just me. It certainly promises to be (another) great weekend of Starcraft 2. Who do you see winning this weekend?

#2 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Oh wow it's time already? I was going to actually get some work done this weekend, but now I'm not so sure. I can't even begin to pick who will win, mostly because I don't follow the players that closely aside from a couple streamers I enjoy watching. I'd like to see Stephano, Naniwa, and DongRaeGu do well however.

#3 Posted by csl316 (8095 posts) -

I saw a bit of Naniwa v. DongRaeGu, but I usually skip most of the groups. I'm guessing tomorrow and Sunday will turn out to be a lost weekend, because that unintentionally happens every time.

What's the casting crew? I heard there'd be some people missing.

#4 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

Watched DRG wreck Naniwa (good times), now Huk vs Violet. Should be an interesting weekend where nothing gets done yet again. My picks would be DRG and MarineKing.

Btw:

@MentalDisruption: Stephano is not in this competition, which is a shame.

#5 Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

@BenderUnit22: Stephano is playing in MLG, although he's in the open bracket part of the tournament for now (for all the MLG I've watched, I still don't quite understand their format). If he and Polt both win all their games, which is more then likely, they'll meet again, which will definitely be one of the must-see series of the weekend.

#6 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

@Rokkaku: Oh, I had no idea. You'd think their "Full Lineup" category would include the full lineup. Where the hell can I see the open bracket?

#7 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

@BenderUnit22 said:

@Rokkaku: Oh, I had no idea. You'd think their "Full Lineup" category would include the full lineup. Where the hell can I see the open bracket?

pretty sure becasue of the nature of the open bracket it would be pretty hard to have a list of all the people competing, and having the full line up as jus the main players makes more sense

#8 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

The Giant Bomb chat will be open for MLG. Maybe we could hang out there and watch some games? Anyone has the schedule?

#9 Posted by Blackmamba85 (38 posts) -
#10 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

@Blackmamba85: Wait, so there's multiple streams? Which one will be on the Giant Bomb channel, then?

#11 Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

@Winternet: How do we get onto that? It sure would be an improvement on the usual SC2 channel chat...urgh.

#12 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -
#13 Posted by csl316 (8095 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@Blackmamba85: Wait, so there's multiple streams? Which one will be on the Giant Bomb channel, then?

Yes, last night it was the Central stream. I think there are four in total on the actual MLG site

#14 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

So, who will watch the last day of MLG? Maybe join the GB chat?

#15 Posted by csl316 (8095 posts) -

I was planning to watch the last few hours later... but I'm on the last mission or two of Mass Effect 3 and really, really need to finish it.

#16 Posted by captain_max707 (479 posts) -

Marine King is a boss. 

#17 Edited by csl316 (8095 posts) -

Well, I missed the last game live, but good for MKP. Just caught it, and it was pretty intense I'd say.

Are we in agreement that the last game of Heart v. DRG was the most exciting one of the weekend? With the last 5 minutes being especially bad ass?

Edit: 2000th post, hot damn.

#18 Posted by Slag (3995 posts) -

@captain_max707 said:

Marine King is a boss.
#19 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

@captain_max707 said:

Marine King is a boss.

SPOILER WARNING!? Also, yeah he is.

#20 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

he gotta be on for a GSL win this season...

#21 Posted by captain_max707 (479 posts) -
@MacEG said:

@captain_max707 said:

Marine King is a boss.

SPOILER WARNING!? Also, yeah he is.

You'll notice I typed that before the finals :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.