Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Jumping in now?

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lozz

So I get paid on Friday and I'm thinking about picking up Starcraft 2. I've been wanting to play it but feeling a bit reluctant as it's been out quite a while now. Just wondering if you guys know any resources or streams I could check out as a newbie. I'm aware that for a good amount of time I'll have my ass handed to me but I played a lot of Warcraft 3 so I won't be totally new, I hope. I'm also hoping that I'm not coming in way too late, to a point where everyones so good I could never enjoy it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The matchmaking in that game is the best I've ever experienced. You won't be going against people who are not of your skill level, so don't worry about that part of it.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aus_azn
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NekuCTR

@Aus_azn said:

The Day9 Daily is the prime recommendation. He makes a whole series of shows for those new to the game. After you run through these, you can take a look at some of the high-level analysis and use it to refine your game.

This pretty much. I'd recomend starting with this episode. It's gives you the basic rundown of all the mechanics. If you dig Day9s personality you should also check out episode 100. (It's quite the treat.)

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lozz

Sweet, thanks all.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aus_azn

@NekuCTR said:

@Aus_azn said:

The Day9 Daily is the prime recommendation. He makes a whole series of shows for those new to the game. After you run through these, you can take a look at some of the high-level analysis and use it to refine your game.

This pretty much. I'd recomend starting with this episode. It's gives you the basic rundown of all the mechanics. If you dig Day9s personality you should also check out episode 100. (It's quite the treat.)

Based on some nonscientific surveys, I think it's very hard to not like Day9's personality. Everyone that I know who's seen him loves his style.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

I always found the Liquipedia to be pretty useful when you want to learn about a unit. Has stats and strategy stuff, and even stuff like build orders. I bookmarked mine on the Ultralisk for some reason.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

@csl316: Why would you bookmark such a terrible unit? Just kidding. :D

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H

Apollo, a well known caster, has a really helpful video guide for each race if you want to check it out. This stuff is for extreme beginners as opposed to Day9 who is more for people who have the basics figured out. 

Here's the Youtube channel with everything. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/dignitasApollo

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bwast

There is a free version that has a few of the multiplayer maps as well as the first 5 single player missions if you want to try it before you commit to buying.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kindgineer

@Lozz said:

So I get paid on Friday and I'm thinking about picking up Starcraft 2. I've been wanting to play it but feeling a bit reluctant as it's been out quite a while now. Just wondering if you guys know any resources or streams I could check out as a newbie. I'm aware that for a good amount of time I'll have my ass handed to me but I played a lot of Warcraft 3 so I won't be totally new, I hope. I'm also hoping that I'm not coming in way too late, to a point where everyones so good I could never enjoy it.

I honestly don't follow much SC2 casting other than Totalbiscuit and what he does, so I couldn't help you there. However, stick to chat channels or just plainly asking for help when you finally get a league. Generally at the beginning of the match I will tell the other player(s) that I am new and could really use some help. Sometimes (not always) they will help you with tips (one guy actually told me how he was attacking, and how to counter it. He even stopped mid-attack to show me.) or at the end tell you what went wrong and how to fix it. It's not full-proof, but the SC2 player-base is generally extremely generous and helpful.

Send me a f-invite at csoup and I can help you when I can in some 1v1. It's a lot of microing, learning hotkeys, and just knowing what you're doing (minions stats and etc.)

Hope you enjoy it! Fantastic game.

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lozz
    @ccampb89

@Lozz said:

I honestly don't follow much SC2 casting other than Totalbiscuit and what he does, so I couldn't help you there. However, stick to chat channels or just plainly asking for help when you finally get a league. Generally at the beginning of the match I will tell the other player(s) that I am new and could really use some help. Sometimes (not always) they will help you with tips (one guy actually told me how he was attacking, and how to counter it. He even stopped mid-attack to show me.) or at the end tell you what went wrong and how to fix it. It's not full-proof, but the SC2 player-base is generally extremely generous and helpful.

Send me a f-invite at csoup and I can help you when I can in some 1v1. It's a lot of microing, learning hotkeys, and just knowing what you're doing (minions stats and etc.)

Hope you enjoy it! Fantastic game.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blacklab

Good thread and tips, I'm probably going to pick up SC2 soon.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

@SpikeSpiegel said:

@csl316: Why would you bookmark such a terrible unit? Just kidding. :D

Because I like to pretend that ultras are unstoppable. Except this always happens:

"Oh shit... ultra cavern!!"

"Oh shit.... shoulda went brood lords."

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By Slag

as others have said Day9 and teamliquid have all you need man.

Have fun!

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MacEG

@Lozz: Had the game for a while but never got into the multiplayer stuff. Would like to. Let me know if you're down and I'll PM you my info.

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lozz

Ok so I got it ahead of time and I'm just downloading the client. Got a bit confused as I had the starter edition but apparently when in EU that doesn't upgrade and I need to download the EU client for battle.net to realise I own the game. Still, gonna take a whlie to download so while I'm here gonna say I'm definitely up for grouping and practicing with anyone. Not sure how it works in SC2, I know in WoW it was with your battle.net account name. This is open to anyone, just post if your up for it below and I'll send a group pm once I've figured the best way to friend each other or something. It'll be way more fun to get better with a friendly crowd me thinks :)

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lozz

@ccampb89: That would be awesome. My char name is MoonDisco and code is 420. Anyone else feel free to add me and play. On EU servers.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kindgineer

@Lozz said:

Ok so I got it ahead of time and I'm just downloading the client. Got a bit confused as I had the starter edition but apparently when in EU that doesn't upgrade and I need to download the EU client for battle.net to realise I own the game. Still, gonna take a whlie to download so while I'm here gonna say I'm definitely up for grouping and practicing with anyone. Not sure how it works in SC2, I know in WoW it was with your battle.net account name. This is open to anyone, just post if your up for it below and I'll send a group pm once I've figured the best way to friend each other or something. It'll be way more fun to get better with a friendly crowd me thinks :)

I'm not sure if we can play since you're on the EU servers and I'm in the US :(

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lozz

@ccampb89 said:

@Lozz said:

I'm not sure if we can play since you're on the EU servers and I'm in the US :(

Yeah just googled, it seems you are right. Pretty annoying.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tunaburn

@Aus_azn said:

@NekuCTR said:

@Aus_azn said:

Based on some nonscientific surveys, I think it's very hard to not like Day9's personality. Everyone that I know who's seen him loves his style.

i cant stand day 9. his jokes are awful and hes always telling horrible stories. sorry :( i wanted to like him

although he did help me when i first started playing. i just couldnt stick with him.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DoctorWelch

Get it, it's great. And for a newbie I would say you need a two things:

1. Look up what Macroing is and just do that, Day9 always talks about it

and 2. Find friends or people you can play with or talk about the game with because if you dont it will get boring and you will just give up

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuCTR

@tunaburn said:

@Aus_azn said:

@NekuCTR said:

@Aus_azn said:

i cant stand day 9. his jokes are awful and hes always telling horrible stories. sorry :( i wanted to like him

although he did help me when i first started playing. i just couldnt stick with him.

Some people just don't like funny anecdotes. I like to call those people soulless bastards. Nah jk, as long as you like Starcraft your alright in my book. ;)

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tunaburn

@NekuCTR: lol well i think hes a good instructor / coach / whatever he is. the humor is just to nerdy for me :P

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spectreman

Play and watch games online. Look at simple building order for the first 10 minutes of game. Do that to avoid be kill for 20 marines in the first 5 minutes while you are building missile turrets. Even bronze league will not be easy for who don´t have online experience. And multitasking requires practice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.