Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Koreans withdrawing from NASL

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Just caught this post on Teamliquid, and it's pretty messed up. Basically, due to traveling issues, this happened:

"After many hours spent working with our sponsors and writing proposals, it is with our great displeasure to announce that Koreans from oGs, Startale, WeMadeFox, TSL, and Prime will not participate in the NASL."

I didn't buy a ticket for season 2 due to time issues, not for lack of quality. But this has to be one hell of a hit for the league, especially considering the strides they made last season and how amazing the games in the finals ended up being.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

Wow, well they flat-out didn't try hard enough then.

That's a huge blow.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By adoggz

meh 1less toruney to worry about watching

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

What traveling issues exactly?  Only the finals are live while the rest are all prerecorded online games/

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By csl316

@Turambar: I guess this is the short explanation: "The week before the Grand Finals, Koreans expressed difficulty paying for their travel, and asked us to buy their plane tickets. We solved this problem by offering to buy their tickets and subtract the cost from prize winnings and whatever was left of the stipend."

So then NASL offered to pay more, and the Korean crew still wasn't satisfied, so now most of them are out. I hear a handful, including Rain and Puma, are still sticking around, though.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By frankxiv

all the north american players rejoice, as they now have a slightly higher chance of winning. if only they could figure out a way to stop euro players from coming as well...

DerBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DerBrick

@Turambar said:

What traveling issues exactly? Only the finals are live while the rest are all prerecorded online games/

There was a day where they were filming early and I think it was BoxeR who had to play an early game vs PainUser and PainUser no showed.

Also, since most of the Korean SC2 teams don't have a MAJOR *Intel*, it's hard for them to convince them to pay for the flight to the finals for just a Bo3.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csl316

The bummer is that a ton of Korean players were scheduled to play this season.

The upside, of course, that a North American could actually win this thing.

The other bummer is that a bunch of people won't call this too legitimate since the best of the best aren't playing. Server lag and all.

Very curious how they'll fill out the rest of the roster so close to showtime, or if they even will. But then again... it's not like the NASL has ever had any sort of luck, so even if the production has been smoothed out, something else was bound to go wrong.

DerBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DerBrick

@csl316 said:

Very curious how they'll fill out the rest of the roster so close to showtime, or if they even will. But then again... it's not like the NASL has ever had any sort of luck, so even if the production has been smoothed out, something else was bound to go wrong.

I think they will try and cram in another open tournament for the seats, or try and get the people who placed high in the open tournament.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thule

I might actually follow the tournament now.

The fact is that I just don't care about most of the Korean players.(most of them being boring doesn't help) I want to see the American and European players I care about in a tournament and see them do well.

Taky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Taky
    @Thule said:

I might actually follow the tournament now.

The fact is that I just don't care about most of the Korean players.(most of them being boring doesn't help) I want to see the American and European players I care about in a tournament and see them do well.

Huh, I find koreans way more entertaining to watch. 
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spectreman

This can have a good side. MLG became the weekend vacation resort of koreans and I miss the western players in the finals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.