MLG Finals!

• 73 results
#1 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

All weekend MLG Providence is live with the national finals.

A stacked bracket of Koreans including NesTea, MVP, MC, and more. Alongside all the foreigner favorites, Idra, KiwiKaKi, Tyler, Haypro, Ret, TLO, and many more.

It is broadcasting live on youtubeor mlg's homepage all weekend.

Casters include: Artosis, Tasteless, Husky, DJWheat, Mr. Bitter, and JP.

#2 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Well, there goes Idra :(

#3 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

@Bucketdeth: At least this is just a Side tournament and the real championship bracket stuff does not start until later in the weekend.

#4 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Oh man, there will be no sleep tonight!

#5 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Naniwa took Nestea down. Holy shmokes. That's awesome.

#6 Posted by Gazel_Ministry (125 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: Took down MVP too. Not bad for day 1.

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@Gazel_Ministry: Yeah man this if the rest of the weekend is like this it's gonna be a pretty kick ass MLG.
#8 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -

damn, so it appears I missed Naniwa dominating faces.

really looking forward to this.

#9 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

Great day 1, can't wait for tomorrow

#10 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -

Ah, Nani/Nestea revenge match should be fun.

#11 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I'm sorry StarCraft, but you'll have to wait until I finish Skyrim.

And Batman.

And Assassin's Creed.

And Uncharted III.

And Dark Souls.

So yeah.

#12 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:

I'm sorry StarCraft, but you'll have to wait until I finish Skyrim.

And Batman.

And Assassin's Creed.

And Uncharted III.

And Dark Souls.

So yeah.

Yeah, I put those on hold for two whole days.  Need something to do on Thanksgiving break!

Also, Hero just validated the mothership in front of a Blizzard employee's eyes.  Uh oh.

#13 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Dude that was hilarious! lol

#14 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Holy archon toilet batman!!

#15 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Naniwa... such a badass nerd right now. I hope he beats Nestea! ONE MORE GAME!

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3310 posts) -

I'm so glad MC beat MVP.

#17 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Oh god, 3rd Nestea v Naniwa game.  I don't think my heart can take this.  Games 1 and 2 were fucking insane.

#18 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Guys...

Naniwa just beat the best zerg/player in the world in 2 best of 3's

#19 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

How can Naniwa play so terribly against Lucky in the gsl last week, but then play so godlike against Nestea this week!

#20 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Holy shit Naniwa. After watching that I'm at the point of hoping we get a 3rd Naniwa vs. Nestea match.

#21 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Naniwa's a magic man. That's the only answer. The amount of time he held on in game 2 was ridiculous, he shoulda lost it way sooner.

#22 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -
@babblinmule said:
How can Naniwa play so terribly against Lucky in the gsl last week, but then play so godlike against Nestea this week!
Well, he did say Nestea isn't that spectacular, and that Lucky's the best he faced.  At least, he just wants to make himself look good, lol.

Anyway, we're gonna have some great games tomorrow.  Really hoping Idra crawls his way back, though this could lead to him vs. Huk and me confused on who to root for there.
#23 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

LETS GO HUK!!

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (7994 posts) -

WTF, man I wish my girlfriend's parent's weren't in town this weekend... these results are fucking bananas. WTF HayprO I need to see those games!

#25 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -

Alright, I guess I'm rooting for Naniwa the rest of the way.  Even with his thumbs down to Nestea, and all.

#26 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

I was really happy for Nani on Friday, but his ego and bm (not Batman) against NesTea turned it around for me. Funny hearing the boos when he got on stage against DRG (and no hand-shake was bm again, although they might just be playing at this point.) Either way, super excited!!!

#27 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@BenderUnit22: I think they were messing around, it seemed in good fun. What did he do to Nestea? I saw the thumbs down but did he do anything else?
#28 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

Can we all come to an agreement, as a people, that force fields are the most imbalanced thing in Starcraft 2?

#29 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@BenderUnit22 said:

Can we all come to an agreement, as a people, that force fields are the most imbalanced thing in Starcraft 2?

Haha no way, force fields are awesome. Man that was good.
#30 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Hahahah forcefields

#31 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

@BenderUnit22 said:

Funny hearing the boos when he got on stage against DRG (and no hand-shake was bm again, although they might just be playing at this point.) Either way, super excited!!!

Considering that they're from the same team and are likely pretty comfortable around each other from training, it's pretty obvious that they were joking around before the match. I wasn't really expecting DRG to be taken down though. After how he's been playing, Naniwa has my full support. Hope he can take the tournament.

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@BenderUnit22: I think they were messing around, it seemed in good fun. What did he do to Nestea? I saw the thumbs down but did he do anything else?

In an interview after his first victory over Nestea, he made a comment about Nestea not being a genius after all. He also mentioned a point in the game where Nestea pulled his drones and said he was an idiot. Although, he later explained that he meant the way Nestea pulled his drones in that game was an idiotic move. Not that Nestea himself was an idiot. He also said that Nestea wasn't actually that tough to beat. (Note I'm paraphrasing a lot of this. It's not word for word.) Nestea heard about the interview and got pretty mad. Then that rematch happened where Naniwa thumb downed Nestea. To be fair to Naniwa, before their first encounter Nestea did state that he would crush Naniwa. So it seems like there's a little going on from both sides. At this point from what I've read, the two have worked it out and aren't angry with each other. It's seemed to form a rivalry between the two now though.

@BenderUnit22 said:

There are plenty of things in Starcraft 2 that you could say this about if you look at isolated games with high level control of said thing :P

#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@MentalDisruption
Ok I gotcha. Yeah just seems like a bit of trash talking, nothing too serious. Idra's probably done worse in his sleep.

I hope Naniwa takes it, the guy's on fire. I wouldn't be too upset if Leenock did though, he's pretty damn good himself. Man, this MLG's been awesome.
#33 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Leenock looks like a little teddy bear! Adorable.

#34 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Judging from the last DRG vs Leenock match, I'll be surprised if Leenock moves on. The kids an incredible zerg, but DRG played a great ZvZ and didn't really give Leenock much ground last time. I'm predicting a Naniwa vs DRG rematch for the finals. The three who are left have been fun to watch and definitely deserve it, so whether it's Naniwa, Leenock, or DRG in that top spot I'll be happy.

Edit: Oh snap, Leenock is proving me wrong :o

#35 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

@MentalDisruption: Force fields have always been one of the biggest game-changers in PvZ and what we've seen recently is Protoss packing a Warp Prism with 4 Sentries, flying into the Zerg base and blocking the ramp for an unlimited amount of time while warping in their army uncontested.

#36 Edited by csl316 (8103 posts) -

As much as I've always liked Leenock, gotta admit I'm surprised here.   DRG's too much of a bad ass to mess this up, though.

My internet was busted, so I missed him vs. Naniwa.  No idea how that match went, but I'm definitely leaning toward Naniwa at this point.

Edit: Ok, Leenock.  Let's finish this.

#37 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Jeeze Leenock is beatin up on DRG like it's his job.

#38 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

@csl316 said:

As much as I've always liked Leenock, gotta admit I'm surprised here. DRG's too much of a bad ass to mess this up, though. My internet was busted, so I missed him vs. Naniwa. No idea how that match went, but I'm definitely leaning toward Naniwa at this point.

Naniwa did very well against him. His reactions were pretty much spot on to what DRG tried to do.

@BenderUnit22 said:

@MentalDisruption: Force fields have always been one of the biggest game-changers in PvZ and what we've seen recently is Protoss packing a Warp Prism with 4 Sentries, flying into the Zerg base and blocking the ramp for an unlimited amount of time while warping in their army uncontested.

Which I'll agree is a very powerful tactic, but there are plenty of other very powerful tactics as well. All of which can be beaten with proper spotting and response. For example, we've also seen very small numbers of infestors burrow move onto an expo, and easily pop out enough infested terran to take it down. Only for the cost of energy if the infestors get away in time, which if there's no detection in the immediate area, they will. I could go on and give terran examples as well, but I'll keep this short. Instead of calling it overpowered it's better to just try to think of a way to stop it.

#39 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -
@MentalDisruption said:

@BenderUnit22 said:

Which I'll agree is a very powerful tactic, but there are plenty of other very powerful tactics as well. All of which can be beaten with proper spotting and response. For example, we've also seen very small numbers of infestors burrow move onto an expo, and easily pop out enough infested terran to take it down. Only for the cost of energy if the infestors get away in time, which if there's no detection in the immediate area, they will. I could go on and give terran examples as well, but I'll keep this short. Instead of calling it overpowered it's better to just try to think of a way to stop it.

Yup. It's working so well because it's pretty new, Warp Prisms are getting way more use then they did before. Zergs will come up with something to stop it.
#40 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

Why are sixteen year-old zergs so frickin' good at MLGs???

I'm a sixteen year-old zerg! WHY AM I NOT THAT GOOD.

#41 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -

So how about that drone split?

#42 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Damn this is looking bad for DRG

#43 Posted by csl316 (8103 posts) -

LEENOCK

#44 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

HOLY JESUS CHRIST LEENOCK

#45 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Holy shmokes he did it.

#46 Posted by StepwiseDuchess (79 posts) -

Leenocks gotta be tired no? 3rd, if not more, series in a row.

#47 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1445 posts) -

Leenock, crush Naniwa! Do it for the swarm!

#48 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

Just did the math, Leenock has played a total of 36 matches this weekend, and gone 32-4.

Holy Christ, this guy is good.

#49 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Naniwa is crazy! Seems like he has an answer for everything.

#50 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

It will be sad if Naniwa looses this tournament. He has beaten the best players in the world, and as good as this Leenock has done Naniwa just deserves this win after beating MVP and Nestea and Huk and everyone else.

But yea I am a bit of a leenock fan now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.