More people in this community?

#1 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

It would be nice if more giantbomb people played this now that it won an award lol.

#2 Posted by Jimbo (9811 posts) -

lol.

#3 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I think there is a fair number of us that still play. I'm kinda getting burnt out at this point unfortunately.

#4 Edited by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

I've played it, and continue to play it, since it was released. I just don't post about it here because no one else does.  I've seen people from GB on Team Liquid a couple times. 

@Skytylz said:

I think there is a fair number of us that still play. I'm kinda getting burnt out at this point unfortunately.

The lack of new maps on ladder (Don't count the two new ones, they're awful. I mean GOOD maps) has made 1v1 a little less fun lately.  We've been playing variations of Lost/Shattered Temple for nearly a year and a half now, same with Metalopolis, Xel'Naga Caverns etc. and it is getting kinda dry.  The only good map Blizzard has put out in 2011 is Antiga Shipyard, and even that had to be redone for competitive use (Tal'Darim isn't made by Blizzard, they just added rocks to it. It was a GSL map).  Every other new map was shunned by the community (rightly so, they were horrible compared to the maps used in competition) and taken out of ladder.
#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I still need to buy it, the starter edition was a lot of fun, but its just a tad expensive still.

#6 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I still need to buy it, the starter edition was a lot of fun, but its just a tad expensive still.

Oh this for sure. I have so many friends who said they would buy it for $20, but it is still nearly FULL retail price on Amazon and other locations. I have friends who just want to play it with me, not really seriously get into it and even I can't tell them that is a fair price when an expansion is coming out soon.

And I have no problem with the maps tbh, they don't really bug me.

Perhaps a community tournament before everyone goes back to school? I'm in college and go back the 17th of January so I have a while.

#7 Posted by csl316 (8675 posts) -

There used to be a ton of people that posted here, but if anything GB people are playing or on TL.  I eventually stopped playing and started watching, but nowadays I don't have time to catch every single GSL match or anything.  So I stopped posting, too.

Heart of the Swarm will probably bring a resurgence, but who knows.

#8 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

I took a large break to go travelling, when I came back I stared at the queue button for quite some time (Master League). Decided I was too far behind to catch up and will start up again for Heart of the Swarm. I play team games casually though and watch it regularly.

#9 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Jimi: Not to discourage you further, but when that game comes out you will then be mechanically behind the people who have been working on it in WoL.

I really enjoy Blizzards match making system, I usually win about half of them which means it is a perfect system, and then I play 2v2 with a friend and rape face.

#10 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@DG991: I realize that, but when I play a competitive games I go all-in so to speak. Catching up won't be too much of an issue even though I will likely be demoted a bunch, it will give me a chance to experiment with the new units.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@DG991:  30 bucks is my max for it.
Won't imagine I'll play it forever or as hardcore as some so 30 is my perfect number.
#12 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

I stopped playing a long time ago but if someone wants to play they can always PM and I'll play it's as simple as that. I'd honestly like to see more Giantbomb duder stuff. Go out and rep the GB as a team in many games.

#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I still play it. Probably sign in once a week since my time off has been slashed in half these past couple of months.

#14 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -
#15 Edited by csl316 (8675 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: You get a pretty extensive campaign, on top of the multiplayer and vs. AI stuff.  I don't see why $44 (on Amazon, anyway) is an unreasonable asking price. Hell,  Nintendo first party games don't drop in price for years.  

You really get a lot of content here.
#16 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

I still play, and it's definitely still worth the fifty bucks guys.

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@DG991: @csl316
 I'm not saying UNREASONABLE, I'm just saying that I personally don't feel like giving more then 30 for it.
I've enough games to keep me busy, it's not on my must buy list, I can wait.
#18 Posted by csl316 (8675 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: Gotcha.  I just figured if it's a question of value, you'll get your money's worth.  Plenty of games I'd like to play eventually, too, but don't need right now.
#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@csl316:  Oh I don't doubt it, playing the Starter Edition instantly had me going to the blizzard store, but then the price kinda took me out of it.
I've got a lot of things to pay monthly, buying a game anywhere between 40-60 is only reserved for Zelda/Mass Effect in my book.

Doesn't mean I'll  won't get it around to it someday, and probably then the price is lower too!
#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I balked at the price at first as well, but I finally caved in and bought it last March for $60 and I'm so happy I did. I think I played it more than any other 2011 game.

#21 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Enigma777: Yes, but think how many more people would buy this game if they just lowered the price?

And they have a sequel coming out pretty soon. It just doesn't make sense to pay $50-60 for this older game imo. Most people who would have paid that price already did when it came out.

Anyway, if you guys want to play sometime we should schedule a get together and play.

#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@DG991 said:

@Enigma777: Yes, but think how many more people would buy this game if they just lowered the price?

And they have a sequel coming out pretty soon. It just doesn't make sense to pay $50-60 for this older game imo. Most people who would have paid that price already did when it came out.

Anyway, if you guys want to play sometime we should schedule a get together and play.

I completely understand where you're coming from and I agree, but there's nothing we can do about it. I think Amazon had it on sale a couple of times for $40, but those are far and few in between. We'll certainly never see a Steam-style sale of it (at least anytime soon) and that's a damn shame. 

Also I'd play right now but I don't have my mouse with me and playing with a trackpad is a miserable, miserable experience.
#23 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Enigma777: It's actually worse then playing a FPS with a trackpad. If you look at the results from the program that records mouse movement from an hour of gameplay of CS:S and SC2, there is much more mouse movement for sc2. Although accuracy isn't as important to be sure.

I'll be playing a lot for the next couple of days, that is for sure.

#24 Posted by csl316 (8675 posts) -
@DG991 said:

Well, considering that the expansion will require the original, they'll have to lower the price around the time it launches.  Right...?  Or maybe they'll do a bundle.  Or something.
#25 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

I dropped the ball on it this last season, too many other games and Battlefield 3 taking the 'competetive' time away from Starcraft. But I recently (post DreamHack) had an urge to dive in again and it's been pretty solid.

Though I dont quite understand how people have time for this game, watching matches and playing other games at the same time. Ah well, still a really awesome game.

#26 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

Yeah, things have kinda died down. I myself haven't played in months, mainly due to the fact that my attention has been on other games. I'd like to start playing again in 2012 and also try to resurrect the community here on GB by holding some more tournaments.

I've got some big community tournament plans for the run-up to the HotS release and after, so you guys can at least count on that.

#27 Posted by DocHaus (1331 posts) -

Funny, I played this with my brother last night (it was fun until he brought out the brood lords) and now I just saw this thread.

Things'll probably pick up again when Heart of the Swarm comes out, but for now SC2 has dropped down my priorities list. Heck, only a couple of people on my friends list have played the game more recently than 3 weeks ago.

#28 Posted by crazymexicancarpi (66 posts) -

I stopped 1v1 for ages then cousin got it about 4months back so been playing some 2v2 on and off. And was about to try my hand once again on the ladder.

#29 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

I dropped off as well once i discovered LoL, however i've been tempted to get back in as a i prefer competitive games for some reason. I'd be more than happy to play some rounds with fellow duders however, i'm certainly rusty but would love to play with a team that wants to just have fun.

#30 Posted by RichLee (62 posts) -

I've actually been playing a lot more again lately...would be cool to play with fellow bombers.

Plat/Dia zerg: DireNymeria.183

Feel free to add me and get some games going...

#31 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@The_Drizzle: I feel like LoL took away a lot of sc2 players. Who can compete with a well designed FREE game.

I stress that blizzard is hurting the actual regular gamers by keeping the price so high ;)

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19340 posts) -

I play it almost daily, although it frustrates me immensely. I think Zerg might not be doing it for me so I'm taking a break and I'll experiment with the two other races out of the 1v1 ladder later on.

#33 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@DG991 said:

@The_Drizzle: I feel like LoL took away a lot of sc2 players. Who can compete with a well designed FREE game.

I stress that blizzard is hurting the actual regular gamers by keeping the price so high ;)

I agree, especially when it comes to new comers. However, i think they appeal to two different demographics, with LoL i found quicker success as opposed to SC2 where my micro'ing still isn't where it needs to be.

#34 Posted by tr00matt (40 posts) -

I have it, I love it, but in the same way that league of legends turns me off, so does competitive star craft. If it wasnt so frustrating to learn, I'd post here. Well. Maybe not, since I rarely post as it is. But to address another issue, that campaign alone is worth the price of admission. I bought sc2 day one, played the campaign and enough multiplayer that it was still fun, and I was thoroughly satisfied. Blizzard makes quality products.

#35 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

I'm still playing sc2 on a near daily basis and improving. I think the 1v1 community may be getting smaller but the custom map userbase is massive.

#36 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@The_Drizzle: SC2 on the lower leagues is all about executing a build order and macro. Micro plays a small part imo.

@tr00matt said:

I have it, I love it, but in the same way that league of legends turns me off, so does competitive star craft. If it wasnt so frustrating to learn, I'd post here. Well. Maybe not, since I rarely post as it is. But to address another issue, that campaign alone is worth the price of admission. I bought sc2 day one, played the campaign and enough multiplayer that it was still fun, and I was thoroughly satisfied. Blizzard makes quality products.

But when you're trying to convince someone to buy it just to play multiplayer with you, they balk at paying full price for a 2010 game.

And if learning isn't fun to you, then perhaps try watching some day9.tv stuff. He will help you get better and entertain you at the same time.

#37 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I haven't played in months and the last StarCraft related stuff I watched was Day9's walkthrough of Amnesia.

I'm sure the community will liven up with the release of HotS.

#38 Posted by wchigo (549 posts) -

I fell off mainly due to moving halfway across the world and losing access to a computer that can actually ran the darn game (my current laptop that my work provided me is really old... playing against AI, it will start to chug when I'm slightly over the 100 food mark).

Add the fact that China blocks a lot of content so I can't access Gom and twitch.tv and I was Starcraft-less for the better part of 6 months, until I recently discovered that some Korean pros stream on own3d.tv and China doesn't block that!

#39 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@wchigo: China has a lot of SC2 players. They were at a recent tournament that Idra won, but I can't think of the name right now.

#40 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

New year resolution: get back into starcraft 2 laddering. Lets go Giantbomb!

#41 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Pobearo: :D

#42 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Blizzard keeping the Starcraft 2 price, or actually all their games prices so high is... because they fucking can.

There's a reason why people can (and do) still buy Diablo 2, Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 at even retail stores. The games are still damn good and worth their money. Just because it's common nowadays that most publishers and developers try to make 98% of the money within the first year that doesn't mean that a different price model isn't appropriate. I can't believe how cheap as shit games become now. Games often cost less than 10% of their launch price just a year later. The games don't suddenly lose quality when they age, they just become worse in comparison to newer titles. But if you create really high quality titles, like the ones mentioned above, then your games are actually still the ones at the top.

If I was a game developer I'd hate to think with that scheme of: "Alright, gotta create a game, make as much money as possible within a couple months and then I'll barely ever see a penny from that thing anymore. --> Hammer out another game!!!" Just the idea that your game loses value insanely rapidly is a tad disgusting.

And even from a consumer standpoint there's an aspect that may make you appreciate the rather constant price tag. If you buy Starcraft 2 you can be sure the game won't suddenly drop in price by 30$ and making you look like a fool.

Of course there are advantages for a quick cheap price too, e.g. such as increasing your userbase and thus the amount of potential buyers of the game's next iteration.

But again, what I wanna say is: Just because almost fucking everbody does this super fast devaluation of their games doesn't mean it has to be the norm and everyone should do it.

#43 Posted by csl316 (8675 posts) -
@NaDannMaGoGo: And on top of the whole esports scene growing slowly but surely, new fans keep popping up that are willing to pay.  Blizzard wouldn't keep supporting the game if they thought it'd lose steam after a few months.

But there comes a point (such as now, 18 months after release) that the original price seems like too much for a game that isn't brand new.  They'll need to bring it down if they expect the expansion to sell to a new crowd.
#44 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo: We aren't really talking about a high price. We are talking about the full price.

I don't want them to do it because everyone else does. I want them to do it because I can't get anyone interested in starcraft 2 when the entry price is so high. Why do you think LoL is spreading so fast? Because the entry price is nonexistent, and you can get friends to join with ease. All the people I play sc2 with are people who played BW or are interested in esports because the CS:S community is so dead. (waiting for cs:go).

I've gotten 0 people to sign up for SC2, but I got nearly 8 people to buy BF3 on PC when the price was $30 for black friday.

With a full priced new "game" on the way, it is absurd to have the full price still. And I don't have the numbers but I bet sales aren't great. It seems like it would make sense to lower the price to get people hooked on the next installment.

Portal 2 is my personal game of the year, I think it is a super high quality game. It was practically given away this holiday. It makes sense because it gets customers hooked on valve, steam, and others.

I'm not saying sc2 should be free, more like less than $40 though.

#45 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

I play every now and then, but I've yet to be involved in starcraft here on the forums. Maybe once I don't have any games to catch up on or when HotS hits I'll start playing more heavily. The desire is there, but the time is not.

#46 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

I'm currently looking for people to play with. There's only roughly two people in the GB chat at one time. If anyone wants to play some 2v2 hit me up my ID is TheDrizzle, o and i play zerg btw

#47 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@The_Drizzle: I'll play with you next time! I know you asked but I was buzyish.

And I saw brad on like 2 seconds ago... and then he left -.-

#48 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Um, I've sorta got into watching more SC than playing. I still play occasionally, but it's kinda hard changing builds after all the patches.

#49 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I still ladder alot, just come back from a decent break over NY and intend on getting back on... and before i went i regually checked this mostly dead place :P

#50 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

I have seen many more people in the channel lately and on the forums, so that is awesome! A small community still, but more so then a few weeks ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.