Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

My life has meaning. I have a beta key for SC2.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've been playing the beta and I'd just like to write down my thoughts on some of the units that I've been using. I don't care for posting my blog on forums but I'll try this once. If someone's already gone through with this feel free to just lock it.

I have little to no experience with a lot of RTS games. At least playing competitively, recently though it's all about online gaming for me and I'd just like to share some of my views on the units I've been using. I try to play as all races but I've seen that I win more games playing as the Terrans. So far my strategy has changed from an armada of siege tanks in SC1 to a harassing/stealthy airborne attack force in SC2.

• The Marines are my general unit. I use them to kill off most of the enemy's force or at least to lure the enemy away from my reapers or vikings.
    • The Marauders support my marines by blowing away the bigger units and I think these guys slow the enemy down after an upgrade. Will check but I wouldn't recommend playing a game without these guys.
    • Reapers are essential to my game since I like to focus on ripping the opponents economy to shreds without a huge battle. Some use Hellions, I think Reapers are far more efficient.
    • I haven't been able to use Ghosts as much as I would like... here's hoping that will change so i can start dropping nukes and play my stealth game.
    • Vikings are one of my favorites especially against Protoss players (overlord hunting is hilarious with these guys). I love their hit and run capabilities. I get a lot of flak for dropping in and then flying out after destroying an expansion.
    • Medivacs are dropships and I use them a lot to fly my marines and marauders around. They also heal your units which is a plus but they don't heal as quickly as you would like. Wish they had an ability to lay down a healing AOE ability to help with standoffs.
    • Ravens are science vessels on crack. I love these things since they're also amazing for harassing. Auto turrets and seeker missiles make these guys a pain in the ass for the opponent. They require a lot of micro but I recommend you practice with these guys.

That's all for now since I kind of just use these units. I'll be sure to start experimenting with more strategies so I can post more. Whether or not I should tag the next one depends on what you all think.
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing the beta and I'd just like to write down my thoughts on some of the units that I've been using. I don't care for posting my blog on forums but I'll try this once. If someone's already gone through with this feel free to just lock it.

I have little to no experience with a lot of RTS games. At least playing competitively, recently though it's all about online gaming for me and I'd just like to share some of my views on the units I've been using. I try to play as all races but I've seen that I win more games playing as the Terrans. So far my strategy has changed from an armada of siege tanks in SC1 to a harassing/stealthy airborne attack force in SC2.

• The Marines are my general unit. I use them to kill off most of the enemy's force or at least to lure the enemy away from my reapers or vikings.
    • The Marauders support my marines by blowing away the bigger units and I think these guys slow the enemy down after an upgrade. Will check but I wouldn't recommend playing a game without these guys.
    • Reapers are essential to my game since I like to focus on ripping the opponents economy to shreds without a huge battle. Some use Hellions, I think Reapers are far more efficient.
    • I haven't been able to use Ghosts as much as I would like... here's hoping that will change so i can start dropping nukes and play my stealth game.
    • Vikings are one of my favorites especially against Protoss players (overlord hunting is hilarious with these guys). I love their hit and run capabilities. I get a lot of flak for dropping in and then flying out after destroying an expansion.
    • Medivacs are dropships and I use them a lot to fly my marines and marauders around. They also heal your units which is a plus but they don't heal as quickly as you would like. Wish they had an ability to lay down a healing AOE ability to help with standoffs.
    • Ravens are science vessels on crack. I love these things since they're also amazing for harassing. Auto turrets and seeker missiles make these guys a pain in the ass for the opponent. They require a lot of micro but I recommend you practice with these guys.

That's all for now since I kind of just use these units. I'll be sure to start experimenting with more strategies so I can post more. Whether or not I should tag the next one depends on what you all think.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZeroCast

So, how was your life before the Beta key?

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By wunder_

Hi! Good thing you focused on Terrans, since I main Terran and barely touch the other units...

You are generally right in your analysis. Hopefully you see some flaws in the Terran design as well as some imbalances already inherent in the beginning stages. Air units in this game server a two-fold purpose that they didn't in Starcraft I, mobile detection is much more valued and alot of air units now have at least one ability which means more micro and more utility for them, along with the fact that most ground units cannot attack air.

Unfortunately, the Marauders, Marines and Medivac build that most Terrans take seem to go against that, but with enough marines or a good few vikings, you can probably win most games. Marauders are the backbone of your army, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, however, getting a rax with a reactor can really help bolster that marine count when you're trying to fend off some air harrass. Reapers are good, but do take note that they are quite an investment and are really only viable as economy harass or an expensive scout. If you manage to use reapers in a mid-late game battle to good effect, please tell me! I find usually 1 or 2 reapers without the movement speed boost is generally good enough and can be used against Zerg/Protoss (Not so much Terrans) with good enough results. Ravens and Ghosts seem to be the utility units in the Terran arsenal, with 3 or 4 abilities each. The Point Defense Drone and the EMP are two of the best abilities a Terran possess and can absolutely crush a Protoss player as well a mass Roach/Hydra push. Tell me how your matches go! 

Oh, and grats on the invite :)

AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZeroCast: Well I got a job, a place to live, and I became a godfather... but it's SC2 we're talking about here.

@Wunder_: Thanks for the reply! I haven't used the Point Defense Drone and I think I saw that as an ability for my Ravens. What exactly does that do and is it worth the energy when I could be spamming seeker missiles? Well I saw some reapers that were used against me late game that just dominated my expansions. They were throwing these det packs or grenades that just owned my workers. My bad since I made no defenses there but still it was interesting to see.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wunder_
    @AestheticSynthesis: That's surprising that you actually got reaper harrassed if you were late in the game. Usually reapers are the most ineffective against terrans as they have the only ranged tier 1 units. They're particularly weak and without the 100/100 speed boost (which is really costly to invest in) they are pretty much done against most Terrans. But it's good to see they are seeing some action, I love their look and style but I can't bare to use them, they suck!

As for Ravens, they are essentially your caster unit, as you've said, your science vessel. You want to have probably at least one and at the most three, with Hunter Seeker Missle (HSM) against Zerg and Bio Terrans. The turret isn't that amazing, but is a good substitute for HSM while it's being researched. The Point Defense Drones (PDD) are amazing in air superiority battles or even gaining the upper hand in a ground battle. It essentially takes away all projectile attacks (I'm not exactly sure what constitutes as a 'projectile' or a definitive list of what it blocks, but it does absorb alot) and is key to winning fights against even matched opponents .

I actually just won a friendly 1v1v1 when just Thors and Ravens after getting my base demolished after a timing attack and having to turtle up with one - two bases. It was definitely crazy and surprising to see Ravens have such an astonishing effect.

Hope your games are going well! :)

AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wunder_:  I now play a balance of Protoss and Terran.
    I'm still working on my Terran strategy since the Zerg have been giving me problems. I usually face mass roaches, mass hydras, or a combination of the two. Any suggestions?

I'm still working on Protoss strategies. Suggestions would be nice.
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Galbrezu
    @AestheticSynthesis said:

" @Wunder_:  I now play a balance of Protoss and Terran. I'm still working on my Terran strategy since the Zerg have been giving me problems. I usually face mass roaches, mass hydras, or a combination of the two. Any suggestions?  I'm still working on Protoss strategies. Suggestions would be nice. "

If they're massing roaches get a few banshees out and because roaches can't shoot air  they'll have to completely change their tactics or lose, because. As for hydras stimmed marines and marauders with medivac support will tear them a new one, add in a few siege tanks behind and you'll be golden.

Don't play Protoss (mostly Zerg/Terran) so can't comment on them.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Donos
    @Galbrezu said:

" @AestheticSynthesis said:

" @Wunder_:  I now play a balance of Protoss and Terran. I'm still working on my Terran strategy since the Zerg have been giving me problems. I usually face mass roaches, mass hydras, or a combination of the two. Any suggestions?  I'm still working on Protoss strategies. Suggestions would be nice. "

If they're massing roaches get a few banshees out and because roaches can't shoot air  they'll have to completely change their tactics or lose, because. As for hydras stimmed marines and marauders with medivac support will tear them a new one, add in a few siege tanks behind and you'll be golden.  Don't play Protoss (mostly Zerg/Terran) so can't comment on them. "
    I'd suggest going for the Marines/Marauders against Roaches as well. Marauders crush Roaches from the start, and they get even better when you adding stimpacks and Medivac.  One thing to remember though, is that Roaches become extremely powerful when they have the option of burrowing. If your fighting a bunch of Roaches, make sure you bring a Raven for detection. Against Hydras, I agree with the Marines, and from what I've heard Hellions actually fair quite well against them too.
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Galbrezu
    @Donos: Hellions are pretty good against almost all zerg ground units, minus roaches. You're right about marines/marauders being good against roaches that being said a couple of banshees with cloak for backup are always useful. Makes taking out high priority targets easy and they're good for raiding mineral lines.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wunder_
    @AestheticSynthesis:  Yup. Against Zerg, for Terran, you keep going M&M&M balls if they're massing roaches. Should be able to smash through their line. Marauders are extremely effective against armored units which means they're rock against Roaches as well as buildings. As for protoss, if you scout effectively and see they're getting roaches and not speedlings, try and get your immortal out asap. An immortal can pretty much two shot (I think...) a roach with 0/0 upgrades on both sides.
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Galbrezu:@Wunder_:@Donos: 
    Took your suggestions into account and got in a game against Zerg. Best bet was to play a defensive game and scout their production so I could see if he was going to mass roaches or hydras. Either way I stuck to Marines, Marauders, and Medivacs. From their I had to set up expansions carefully and get starports up so i could crank out banshees. Incredibly slow and costly at times but I still won. I think the real problem here is me needing to manage my resources here.

I tried a game where I combined tanks with my air power and it was too slow and costly for me to make an effective attack. Not enough vespen gas.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wunder_

Yeah, in a 1v1, you're focused on your opponent alot, but you have to remember to expand. I've taken to a strategy early game where if I find myself outstretching my mineral-vespene gas gap too much, I'll build a command center and go. The thing about Terrans is that your expansions can be built safely in your base and then lifted off. Even if you're harvesting Vespene at 3 harvesters/2 gas at 4 expansions, you're going to get way more minerals even without a fully saturated mineral line. Thus, with another expac mining full gas and a bit of minerals (Thanks to having alot of energy for mules and tons of spare scans) you should be completely fine to mass a huge M&M&M army or even tech to Thors or something. Keep in mind there are a few mineral sinks you can invest in such as an Engineering Bay and a few Bunkers/Missle Turrets. These are especially helpful when the enemy comes knocking with a full air assault, although you might think you're 'wasting' your minerals, there really isn't that much you can do if you have 4000 minerals/100 gas (Like I was in one situation). With the new 'buff' to Hellions in Patch 11, you can also pump a few to harrass your opponent and get that extra map control when you need it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.