Prediction

#1 Edited by Vitor (2812 posts) -

Just started my placement matches after finally plucking up the courage to take this game online... Had been skirmishing a fair amount with the AI for practice (and playing with some friends at the local PC bang here in Seoul) and have been managing to consistently beat the AI on very hard so I thought why the hell not. 
  
I'm thinking I'll get dropped in Gold tier once this is done but we'll see. Did any of you guys manage to get a feel for where you thought you'd be placed? Or are the horror stories of semi-decent players getting dropped in Platinum tier and suffering from then on more prevalent than Blizzard would like?  
 
I know you can drop down a tier by losing consistently but that does not sound like my idea of fun at all.

#2 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Hard bot = Low level gold

#3 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" Hard bot = Low level gold "
People keep telling me there's no correlation between the AI and online play but that's reassuring to know. Seen some tactics today that the AI never used on me before though and it really threw me off. 
 
So finished my 5 placement matches... won all 5. Was placed in Platinum :| 
 
#4 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@Vitor:
I can't beat Very Hard (with my usual build) and am placed in Platinum...
The problem is that bots don't play the same as humans, so AI doesn't mean much.
#5 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@NoXious said:
" @Vitor:I can't beat Very Hard (with my usual build) and am placed in Platinum...The problem is that bots don't play the same as humans, so AI doesn't mean much. "
I've noticed in the games I've played - the AI never rushed to Void Rays or Mutas before so I was nearly caught unaware a few times if it wasn't for my obsessive constant building of marines. 
 
To be honest, the 5 games I played weren't against particularly good players so I think I lucked out here. I was terrified of taking the game online before and now I finally overcame that hurdle, I find myself terrified again. It's my first proper RTS and something about the scene is kinda intimidating (weirdly enough considering all the SC2 players here are super friendly).
#6 Posted by Wunder_ (1168 posts) -
@Vitor:  I have the same problem. Throughout the SC2 beta I'd only play something like one or two games a day and then just stop. What I find is that you have to really get a good few hundred games under your belt before you feel really comfortable with yourself. It's quite hard to be able to knock out 8 or 9 games in one sitting, but with every game, try and focus on one aspect of your build, if your plan is to stick with a single build for the day, and then just perfect that. For example:
Day 1: I'm going to try MMM today against Protoss, 5rax reaper against Zerg.
Game 1: I'm focusing on keeping my minerals below 1000.
Game 2: OK, I lost that, so I'm going to try and perfect my build order to the tee.
Game 3: I won! Time to see if I can keep my macro up while I'm attacking.
 
and so on. Small, mental notes like these really help (or post-it notes if you're like me!) and you'll soon find that even if you're losing, you still learn from the match, possibly even more if you would've won. So just keep playing! ^^
#7 Posted by rook538 (36 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" Hard bot = Low level gold "
What? I could beat Very Hard AI (before I stopped playing against AI) and I'm in Bronze.
#8 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -
@rook538: I find that hard to believe.
#9 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA: 
 
AI is very easy to beat if you know their routine.  They will attack at the same time with the same units almost every match.  They never try to flank.  They never attempt to do drops or rush for higher tier units.
 
If you attack their Hatch/Nexus/CC, they will retreat instantly.
#10 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@Cataphract1014 said:
" @No0b0rAmA:   AI is very easy to beat if you know their routine.  They will attack at the same time with the same units almost every match.  They never try to flank.  They never attempt to do drops or rush for higher tier units.  If you attack their Hatch/Nexus/CC, they will retreat instantly. "
This is true. 
 
The only thing that I really feel helps me get better when playing AI is in trying to keep up with their economy - the AI is very efficient in that at least so I'm more focused on keeping my minerals below a certain threshold and pumping out units rather than attack strategy.
#11 Posted by DeathByWaffle (630 posts) -

Just did my last placement match, got put in gold. I'm rank 100 though, which I believe is the lowest possible gold one could be.

#12 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@DeathByWaffle said:
" Just did my last placement match, got put in gold. I'm rank 100 though, which I believe is the lowest possible gold one could be. "
Rank 100 in Platinum - maybe see you in the Gold league soon... ;)
#13 Posted by SSully (4130 posts) -
@rook538 said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
" Hard bot = Low level gold "
What? I could beat Very Hard AI (before I stopped playing against AI) and I'm in Bronze. "
If you can beat the very hard AI you should be top of bronze or entering silver. Most bronze players dont play as good as the very hard comp and this is coming from someone who got out of the bronze league recently. 
#14 Posted by rook538 (36 posts) -
@SSully said:
" @rook538 said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
" Hard bot = Low level gold "
What? I could beat Very Hard AI (before I stopped playing against AI) and I'm in Bronze. "
If you can beat the very hard AI you should be top of bronze or entering silver. Most bronze players dont play as good as the very hard comp and this is coming from someone who got out of the bronze league recently.  "
Yeah, if I played a lot more I could probably get into silver league. Even if I won all my games so far (besides placement) I would most likely be in bronze. But, it seems like I'm going about 50/50. I do seem to only usually play against silver or gold players though.
#15 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4888 posts) -

I'm low-level diamond and suck vs AI.
 
Just doing standard stuff vs. Very Hard is quite... hard.

#16 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

It's odd really.  A friend of mine went 3-2 during his placement and got into gold.  I went 2-3 and went into bronze. 

#17 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

So I'm getting my arse handed to me in platinum... At least they're going about it in interesting ways though (a lone probe hiding in the corner of my base and building a load of warp gates was one memorable moment - didn't see them until they'd planted a few turrets next to my command centre...). 
 
I do feel like I'm learning but I also know for a fact that I'm waaaaaaaaaaay outta my depth (one guy managed to micro 1 probe so well that he f*cked up my entire early game but harassing my workers as they were building...).

#18 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -
@Vitor said:
" So I'm getting my arse handed to me in platinum... At least they're going about it in interesting ways though (a lone probe hiding in the corner of my base and building a load of warp gates was one memorable moment - didn't see them until they'd planted a few turrets next to my command centre...).  I do feel like I'm learning but I also know for a fact that I'm waaaaaaaaaaay outta my depth (one guy managed to micro 1 probe so well that he f*cked up my entire early game but harassing my workers as they were building...). "
 
not knowing those little tricks and being in platinum has got to be brutal.  I got placed in silver and was dropped to bronze after I lost connection, it was retarded.  I currently have been sitting at 1 for a couple weeks and it won't put me in Silver.  I'm starting to lose interest :(
#19 Posted by Lordborg909 (162 posts) -

I think the placement has a lot to do with who you beat, and how lucky you are. I won 4 of my matches in 2v2, and ended up in bronze. I can only think its because 
 
A: The players I beat were in low level tiers anyways 
B: Maybe someone lost connection in  there? 
C: A couple of times we had people GG and leave before it was conclusive, which im sure counts heavily against them 
 
Anything else im missing?

#20 Posted by DeathByWaffle (630 posts) -

The placement system seems a little odd, as well as how it matches you up against opponents. I'm bronze in 2v2, yet I consistently get matched against platinum and gold players (which the game calls "Slightly Favored" for some reason). I don't remember ever playing anyone in my own division, and I rarely play silver league people.

#21 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

I'm not quite sure why the lowered the placement matches from 10 to 5 (10 was it in earlier beta) -- Because of this you have may have silver/gold level players owning up bronze level in their placement only to be placed in platinum.   
 
I realize 10 games is a lot before even entering the ladder but the alternative could be 30 or more games of misery before they finally boot you down a league.  In the long run I think its better.

#22 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

 
AI isn't anything like humans. They never try to cheese you, always do the same things, etc. However, Insane AI is still utterly insane, as the name suggests. If you can beat that, i'm certain that you can beat most gold players. 
 
That said, don't try it. Seriously, it's depressing. Damn thing cheats.

#23 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
"

 
AI isn't anything like humans. They never try to cheese you, always do the same things, etc. However, Insane AI is still utterly insane, as the name suggests. If you can beat that, i'm certain that you can beat most gold players. 
 
That said, don't try it. Seriously, it's depressing. Damn thing cheats.

"
Oh it totally does - was trying to work my way up to that before hitting online but then I found out that the AI gets a massive resource advantage which makes the whole thing totally one sided and ridiculous.  
 
Platinum is rough but it's also making me want to 'main' Protoss... some of the tricks they can do seem totally crazy. Wish I knew how to micro terran early game better to stop the cheesing... Ah well, it's a learning process I guess (4 losses later, still bottom of my Platinum division....).
#24 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

Won my first match in Platinum! I was slightly favoured now... and have moved up 54 places to 46th?! Looks like getting knocked down to gold is gonna take a while...

#25 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -

After a few practice matches and my placement matches I was placed right where I thought I should be, bronze league.

#26 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

I won 3 out of my 5 placement matches and got into silver. Seemed appropriate at the time. But now, after playing a few dozen more matches, I moved up into gold and I'll probably settle in around there, as I'm winning exactly half of the games I play. I guess Blizzard did a fine job with their multiplayer algorithms and whatnot.

#27 Posted by itbei (31 posts) -
@Turambar: Same thing happened to me...doing quite well in Bronze though :P
#28 Posted by king0fprussia (147 posts) -

I've noticed whenever it says "Expanded Search" you're bound to get matched up with higher level players.  It is really frustrating when you play a few close matches against people well-matched to you, only to get matched up with a random gold or plat guy when you're ranked bronze.
 
Also, anyone immediately placing at rank 100, it's because you have no points earned yet and most everyone in your division has points.  Win one match and you'll probably jump up a few places.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.