Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Region lock

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

So I'm currently in Korea for my year abroad as part of my university degree - I'm moving onto Japan next month where I will be spending 12 months at a university there.

I had no idea that the servers for SC2 would be region locked and now am somewhat wary of buying the game as I'd probably opt for the European version (despite the hefty £45 price tag...) so I can play it on my return to the UK. However this means I won't be able to use the East Asian servers while I'm in Japan.

I'm assuming that there's offline skirmish against the AI at least? I'm new to Starcraft so wouldn't likely be jumping into multplayer straight away and was wondering whether the offline options (if the AI provides a decent challenge on higher difficulties and the campaign) is worth it.    

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm not planning on playing too much MP, but I'm having a blast playing SP.

I got the Oceania version (NZ, AUS etc.)

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

A year of university in Japan sounds like you'll be waiting for quite some time before you can play SC2 back at UK. 

If you're really desperate, I suppose you could just buy the game twice. Could sell it used later to someone else when you're about to head back.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor
    @Meteora said:
    " A year of university in Japan sounds like you'll be waiting for quite some time before you can play SC2 back at UK.  If you're really desperate, I suppose you could just buy the game twice. Could sell it used later to someone else when you're about to head back. "
    Not if I buy it digitally I don't think and , there's no retail release of SC2 hitting Japan (anaemic PC market there with hardly any stores having shelf space for the platform, even dedicated games stores). 

Not a big enough SC fan to buy it twice (hell, the £45 price tag is putting me off buying it even once). Region lock seems like it's purely there to stop people playing currency conversion as the US version at $60 is way cheaper than £45. Surely hardcore US players would kill to go up against the Koreans? Seems like something that could get removed but still... Not sure if I should make the plunge (£45 is practically the price of 2 new games off Steam).
    JackPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JackPack

You know, I used to think PC gaming was free of all this region lock crap.... then came Blizzard and all went bad :P

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By wchigo

They did mention that eventually they'll get rid of the region-lock, but they have yet to announce a timeframe other than "shortly after release" or something along those lines.

Avatar image for creativecolossi
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CreativeColossi

I just want to play the game with all Korean dialogue, that voice acting is just as good as the English. Plus StarCraft in Korean just seems to work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.