Revenge of the Nerds: StarCraft is playing on local sport bars

#1 Posted by eshchan (47 posts) -

Sports bar, is usually a local watering hole where people eat, drink and watch sports. Most of the time people will gather together at a bar to watch playoff games, MMA fights or other TSN related events (which includes poker). Now, people are gathering at a bar to watch Zerg rushing Protoss in a eSports events in geek concentrated area (Seattle and San Fransisco), in particularly, they are showing StarCraft 2 tournament.

Source

Hurrah for video games.

#2 Posted by csl316 (8696 posts) -

Cool, Barcraft is kind of a growing trend.

Once there's some stuff happening in Chicago, I'll most definitely try to show.

#3 Posted by MaverickShin (12 posts) -

StarCraft 2 is making such a great push for validating e-sports. Makes me proud.

#4 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

Woooo!

Also, reading that article I love the skeptical "quotes" around "every" other "word".

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4680 posts) -

I don't understand RTS's but this is positive news. What if this leads to next years Evo being shown at bars? I think I would still rather watch at home.

#6 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

it's cool, but i don't think it's something that'll be this big for long.
 starcraft at bars is just a novelty for the time being, the spectacle of it won't be as great for very long,

of course i've never been to one of these barcrafts, so maybe they are super awsome

#7 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

There's an article over on RPS about this too.

#8 Edited by Yamoto (111 posts) -

And why is this big news? My local bar where showing the LOL gamescom finals

#9 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

I'd watch Starcraft drunk.

#10 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't understand RTS's but this is positive news. What if this leads to next years Evo being shown at bars? I think I would still rather watch at home.

Im skeptical though. While that would be great right now only mobas and SC have the popularity to really warrant something like that IMO. As much as I'd like for EVO to be shown at bars AFAIK the fighting game community is much smaller than the RTS/moba community.

#11 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Heh. Bob Colayco quoted in the article. Significant lack of "uh"s though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.