Season 3 has begun!

#1 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

What do you dudes think of the new maps?

What did people get promoted/demoted to and from?

I play on SEA and just before the lock i was promoted to silver, and after winning my placement match I got placed in gold, and then I lost 3 games in a row and won my 4th and i wasn't impressed with my play :[ too tired.

I'll do my NA placement tomorrow, I was gold and i've been beating platinums so we'll see how I go.

I still haven't quite worked out the new maps, before my placement I looked at them all by observing some AI 1v1 matches, just to learn the layout properly. I don't know if i like or dislike them yet. Some of them have some pretty odd design choices.

KDISCUSS.

#2 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

Season 3 isn't up on NA or EU.

#3 Posted by BigAT (71 posts) -

Please don't get demoted, please don't get demoted... 

I haven't played any of the new maps yet, but having seen the overviews of them they all look pretty bad.

#4 Posted by Tebbit (4457 posts) -

I got miscellaneously placed in Bronze league from Gold. Needless to say, I've been plowing through people, but at the cost of my soul. I hope I get promoted back up soon.

For some of these people it's their first online match! That would totally suck!

#5 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I only played a couple of matches per week and yet for some reason I was platinum (I'm definitely not platinum level anymore). So I'm kinda hoping that I get demoted to silver or something :)

#6 Posted by raiz265 (2237 posts) -

I'll get demoted from masters for sure... :|

#7 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

As long as Blizzard hasn't introduced tin league the only way is up for me!

#8 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@Riddell said:
As long as Blizzard hasn't introduced tin league the only way is up for me!
yeah but if they had you'd be reppin like a boss @ #1 haha
#9 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

Got put in diamond.  And now I remember why I stopped playing this stupid fucking game.

#10 Posted by BC_ (168 posts) -

Got demoted to silver, never felt like I should've been promoted to gold in the first place though...

#11 Posted by ageofquarrel (21 posts) -

Promoted from silver to gold.

#12 Posted by breaking3po (153 posts) -

Back to Bronze league but thats fine with me. Still pretty bad at this.

#13 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

@baldgye: That probably explains why I couldn't log in yesterday and get them done :P

#14 Posted by jelekeloy (456 posts) -

I lost 3 games today! I think I'm 0-6 lifetime! I suck...

#15 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Still Gold.

Gonna kill myself soon enough.

#16 Posted by Donos (1194 posts) -

Just a heads up, the new 3v3 maps are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls.

#17 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -

Placed gold rank 3, even tho i rolled over my opponent.. Hope i hit platinum this season :/

#18 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

First time playing 1v1 in a month or so, got put in platinum, proceeded to get destroyed 3 games in a row, 4th game i got PvZ, which has always been my best matchup and finally won.

My build orders are all screwed up now, need to get my muscle memory going again.

Also played on 2 of the new maps so far. First impression is they both kinda suck but I will wait a few more games to X them out.

WHY DID THEY TAKE MY METALOPOLIS OH GOD

#19 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Got promoted to platinum from gold. Feels about right, even though I lost a few.

#20 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

I'm a bronze player who's been beating Platinum players lately, I have no fucking idea where I'll end up. That is, if I end up ever playing consistently again.

#21 Posted by csl316 (8349 posts) -

When I get around to it I'll probably stay in gold. If not move up to platinum.

But when I actually do this is another story.

#22 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

One of my mates got demoted with a win. Rank 3 Master League down to Rank 61 Diamond. Luckily, I haven't seen him today. He must be furious because he worked his arse off to get into Master.

I'm waiting for my buddy to be not-busy so that we can do our placement match and hopefully get promoted to Gold. Especially since we've been wrecking 2v2 Diamond teams thanks to his micro and my macro.

#23 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Played my match and lost...But still got promoted to Platinum from Gold!

#24 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

The actual playing of your placement match has very little to do with where you'll get placed. during the league locks before the new season starts, you are expected to play as many games as you can and come season 3, whereever your MMR is is where you will get placed, the placement match is just a trigger for that to happen.

#25 Posted by Pezen (1591 posts) -

It's not up and running here yet, but I hope I shall do fine. I've been meeting gold and killin' silvers while being in bronze.

#26 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I'll prolly get demoted to gold :,(

#27 Posted by Pezen (1591 posts) -

Ugh. Won the placement match and got placed low bronze and lost my first game in that actual ladder. What the hell.

#28 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -

In  Searing Crater if you are Terran turtle behind 10 siege tanks, build 20 clocking banshees = win.

#29 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

they scout, take bases and make some vikings?

#30 Posted by raiz265 (2237 posts) -

down to diamond

#31 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

up to plat w00p

#32 Posted by Psych (15 posts) -

I played my match won and got into masters I've been extremely happy with my performance ! i'm currently 14-4 sitting at 6th in my division. as far as the new maps go im not a fan of antiga if you get up and down posisitions it's extremely hard to take a 3rd if you're on the bottom because of the layout of the map. The other one I'm not a fan of is abyssal caverns its just a weird map with rocks pretty much everywhere a ton of attack paths and choke points so those are my vetos. But the other 2 aren't too bad i really like searing crater because i like long macro games. IMO Blizzard can't make good maps worth shit and they need to have maps in the map pool that are well made like the GSL Maps and MLG Maps.

#33 Posted by MG1989 (19 posts) -

Only played one game last season in platinum so i suck, (dont know how i got there in the 1st place) but played a gold level player who dced as he was about to win. I am still in platinum when i felt i should be in silver. oh well lots of losses for me coming up

#34 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

just f10-n a heap of games and get in the league you feel you should be in and go from there. it's not like losses matter. Though perhaps being in the higher leagues can be some good practice for you, depends on what you take from each game I suppose. Playing SC2 because you want to win EVERY game is a bad idea unless you're masters or GM.

#35 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@raiz265 said:
down to diamond
Is it even possible to be placed straight into Masters? Every Master I know got demoted.
#36 Posted by CrazyBagMan (839 posts) -

Somehow I'm still in Silver despite not playing for the past two months. Looking forward to getting into it again.

#37 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

I played my worst game ever, and then got promoted to Silver! Sick deal!

#38 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -

@Aus_azn said:

@raiz265 said:
down to diamond
Is it even possible to be placed straight into Masters? Every Master I know got demoted.

I'm thinking that the quota of the top 2% of active players (right?) is the reason why so many of us S2 masters were demoted. Since not everyone is active in Season 3 yet, our MMRs are not high enough to make the top 2% cut-off with the reduced "active" player base. Or I could be completely wrong.

#39 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Masters to gold... sweet

#40 Posted by raiz265 (2237 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
@raiz265 said:
down to diamond
i got up from diamond to masters after the last ladderreset i think
#41 Posted by ikaruga (192 posts) -

woot! I quit half way through season 1 because I couldn't get out of bronze even after a 20 win streak. Play the placement as random yesterday just for fun and some how got into gold.

#42 Posted by Ben_H (3335 posts) -

Forever platinum. I am giving my two weeks notice at work tomorrow though so I should have more free time before and during school, which I have had almost none of the since the start of  season 2 (I used to play only diamond but I'm super rusty now).  I've been doing customs focusing solely on improving speed (and thus macro, as I used to be too slow to keep up with an increased income off 3-4 bases) and I feel if I keep up my practice regimen I should be able to break diamond with either Protoss or Terran by season 3 end.  I am about equal MMR with both, though I have much more experience with Protoss, and I lack any sort of game sense with Terran, which screws with my expansion timings.

#43 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

I'm in bronze, w00t!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.