Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Skirmish mode - hows it shaping up?

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bluesun

For those that are playing the beta, just wondering how the skirmish mode (i.e. multiplayer vs. AI) is shaping up compared to the original, and whether its heading towards being a decent warm-up for BNet, and/or a credible alternative for those that just want a bit of casual multi-player action without going online...?

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mano521

im gonna assume this is for starcraft 2 

i heard from a friend its really fun. and that this is the only game he didnt mind playing against AI

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bluesun
    @mano521:It is, I've pinged the mods about moving it.

For me, its a big driver as I'm not sure I'll have enough free time to commit to getting good enough to not get crushed on BNet all the time...
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mano521
    @bluesun: same here. well at least that was the case with warcraft 3.    i played online once, and i usually like to play at my own pace, but in like 30 minutes the dude had just massacred me. so i just stick with AI  haha
    noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By noremnants

The only AI in the beta is "very easy" because they want people playing each other so strategies and balance issues are discovered. Playing against the AI isn't going to help you balance a game.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jmrwacko

The AI is basically braindead in the beta. But the AI in the final game will be better. Personally though, I don't think you can learn how to play Starcraft at all playing against an AI. You have to suck it up and take the losses in multiplayer until you can start competing with other players. Else you're just going to be bad at the game forever.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

I haven't done a single game with AI yet, I've been watching games since the Beta Started and when I got invited in March, I easily jumped in.  I post and look around Team Liquid so I didn't need the CPU to practice. 

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Zuul
    @jmrwacko said:
    " The AI is basically braindead in the beta. But the AI in the final game will be better. Personally though, I don't think you can learn how to play Starcraft at all playing against an AI. You have to suck it up and take the losses in multiplayer until you can start competing with other players. Else you're just going to be bad at the game forever. "
    I know for a fact that most of my friends wont play online, because of the steep difficulty curve. It's like this for most RTS with them, so I am always stuck just plyaing skirmishes against AI with them. Hopefully the AI is going to be rather brutal and adapt to my unit composition/build order.
    Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Gonmog

ummm that just sounds ass backwards, you want a ai that will be brutal and adapt to your build, but you dont want to play online vs peopel who do that? Hell i suck at the game im in copper right now, but it is much more fun and engaging to play vs other people of my same skill lv. i have a 18/16 lose win ratio. And thats after i lost 6 or so times in a row. You know what happen? i learned and got better. The losses help you learn and beat other players.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Zuul said:
    " @jmrwacko said:
    " The AI is basically braindead in the beta. But the AI in the final game will be better. Personally though, I don't think you can learn how to play Starcraft at all playing against an AI. You have to suck it up and take the losses in multiplayer until you can start competing with other players. Else you're just going to be bad at the game forever. "
    I know for a fact that most of my friends wont play online, because of the steep difficulty curve. It's like this for most RTS with them, so I am always stuck just plyaing skirmishes against AI with them. Hopefully the AI is going to be rather brutal and adapt to my unit composition/build order. "
    The difficulty curve isn't that brutal once you get ranked in a particular league, because you'll generally be playing with people at around your skill level. If everything works out correctly, everyone will even out with people of comparable skill with about a 1:1 win/loss ratio, noobs and pros both.
    bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bluesun

Well, now that I've spent some time with the beta, AI has been good for enabling me to practice and build up my hotkey speed in a safe environment. Not actually employing any tactics or anything, just sharpening skills.

That said, here's hoping there's a decent skirmish for real bot matches.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @bluesun said:
    " Well, now that I've spent some time with the beta, AI has been good for enabling me to practice and build up my hotkey speed in a safe environment. Not actually employing any tactics or anything, just sharpening skills. That said, here's hoping there's a decent skirmish for real bot matches. "
    You can unlock the official difficulties from sites I cannot name.  The AI is in the beta but not unlocked...so you need to replace a file or two.  >.>

Very Easy ->  Easy ->  Normal -> Hard -> Very Hard -> Original (I think I'm missing a few).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.