Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 1, by a noob.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By jelekeloy

So, for the last few days, I've been all hyped up for Starcraft 2, strictly out of foolishness.  "Why is this foolish?" you may ask, since the game looks very promising.  First off, I don't have a computer that can competently run games from 2002, let alone new releases.  On top of that, the only RTS experience I have is watching my brother play Starcraft one with my neighbors when I was about 5 or 6, leaving me with little skill or literacy in the genre.

Despite all that, I had been desperately searching for my brother's old copy of the game for the past few days, and finally stumbled upon a copy of Brood War deep inside my closet earlier today.  Excitedly, I threw the disc into my HP Slimline, and was able to boot up the expansion's campaign, but not the original one since I failed to find the corresponding CD-ROM.  And so, I  jumped into the fourth, Protossian (?), chapter of Starcraft.  The first mission was simple, press A and click where I wanted my selected units to go.  After breezing through the first mission, I proceeded to the second and was completely and utterly lost.  The mission presented me with four basic soldier dudes and  four of the builder-type guys.  I immediately came across some minerals, and began gathering them when I realized that I had nowhere to deposit my harvest.  I continued to wander, and shortly ran into some angry zerglings and some sort of tower that tore my squad into pieces.  With the very little patience I've inherited from my mother, I rage-quitted from the campaign and set up a custom game that I planned to practice in before returning to the story mode.

After whipping up a 1v1, Terran v. Terran with the computer, I relaxed and began to mine, this time with a place for my SCVs to dump their gatherings.  After a short time, I managed to build up a small army of basic soldiers and a firebat, along with a few medics and many SCVs.  I sent a pack and a half of my troops (all units but the SCVs) to the South end of the map while my SCVs continued building supply depots and gathering resources.  When my army got about halfway down the map, I noticed they were being attacked and took a peek at the action.  What I saw was horrifying.  There a huge enemy force rushing towards mine, complete with more than double the amount of units I had.  That pesky computer's brown Terrans swept through my squad with ease, and went on to obliterate my small base and fleeing command center.

So yeah, that's my experience with Starcraft.  I'll probably continue to play some more, because I really like the idea of the game, but just DO NOT have the skillset required to compete at all.  Maybe there's a difficulty slider in those menus somewhere that I didn't see, I guess I'll investigate that next time I try to play the game.  If there's anyone else out there completely clueless like me who has access to the game who wants to try and figure it out with me, or If there's someone who wants to boost their self esteem before they buy the second one, I wouldn't mind playing with you.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jelekeloy

So, for the last few days, I've been all hyped up for Starcraft 2, strictly out of foolishness.  "Why is this foolish?" you may ask, since the game looks very promising.  First off, I don't have a computer that can competently run games from 2002, let alone new releases.  On top of that, the only RTS experience I have is watching my brother play Starcraft one with my neighbors when I was about 5 or 6, leaving me with little skill or literacy in the genre.

Despite all that, I had been desperately searching for my brother's old copy of the game for the past few days, and finally stumbled upon a copy of Brood War deep inside my closet earlier today.  Excitedly, I threw the disc into my HP Slimline, and was able to boot up the expansion's campaign, but not the original one since I failed to find the corresponding CD-ROM.  And so, I  jumped into the fourth, Protossian (?), chapter of Starcraft.  The first mission was simple, press A and click where I wanted my selected units to go.  After breezing through the first mission, I proceeded to the second and was completely and utterly lost.  The mission presented me with four basic soldier dudes and  four of the builder-type guys.  I immediately came across some minerals, and began gathering them when I realized that I had nowhere to deposit my harvest.  I continued to wander, and shortly ran into some angry zerglings and some sort of tower that tore my squad into pieces.  With the very little patience I've inherited from my mother, I rage-quitted from the campaign and set up a custom game that I planned to practice in before returning to the story mode.

After whipping up a 1v1, Terran v. Terran with the computer, I relaxed and began to mine, this time with a place for my SCVs to dump their gatherings.  After a short time, I managed to build up a small army of basic soldiers and a firebat, along with a few medics and many SCVs.  I sent a pack and a half of my troops (all units but the SCVs) to the South end of the map while my SCVs continued building supply depots and gathering resources.  When my army got about halfway down the map, I noticed they were being attacked and took a peek at the action.  What I saw was horrifying.  There a huge enemy force rushing towards mine, complete with more than double the amount of units I had.  That pesky computer's brown Terrans swept through my squad with ease, and went on to obliterate my small base and fleeing command center.

So yeah, that's my experience with Starcraft.  I'll probably continue to play some more, because I really like the idea of the game, but just DO NOT have the skillset required to compete at all.  Maybe there's a difficulty slider in those menus somewhere that I didn't see, I guess I'll investigate that next time I try to play the game.  If there's anyone else out there completely clueless like me who has access to the game who wants to try and figure it out with me, or If there's someone who wants to boost their self esteem before they buy the second one, I wouldn't mind playing with you.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mithhunter55

Watch YouTube videos of play. Get a new computer with a graphics cards also your story doesn't make sense about the disk. Also if you countine playing there is a way to play with out the disk due to a patch a few years ago.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By theduke

keep playing and you'll get used to it

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pinworm45
    @TheDuke said:

" keep playing and you'll get used to it "

This. 

At the very least, don't get frustrated by this. The Skirmish (custom game) AI of old didn't have variable difficulty, and it is definitely difficult for a newcomer. And the expansion campaign is also difficult, and it doesn't have a methodical pace to get you used to the game like the original classic SC. 

Also, I think the reason you didn't have a 'place to deposit' your minerals in the campaign mission was because you were supposed to build a nexus at the minerals, but it's been a while. 

Edit: I'd also recommend just going straight into SC2 if you liked the idea of the original starcraft. It's a lot more friendly towards getting you into the game.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By schizogony

Paragraph indentations on my internets?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august
    @jelekeloy: The expansions assume you've played through the main game, in terms of difficulty. 

If you're interested you can buy and download the original (+ expansion included) from Blizzard's online sore.
    nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By nicolenomicon

Watch Totalbiscuit's "I suck at Starcraft 2" videos. Plus, maybe start with Dawn of War or something before you move to the big guy (Starcraft).

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jelekeloy

Thanks for all the tips guys, I guess I'll just keep playing or get the original game.  It never occurred to me to check the Blizzard site for the original game, I'll look into that if my struggles continue.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
    @jelekeloy said:
    " Thanks for all the tips guys, I guess I'll just keep playing or get the original game.  It never occurred to me to check the Blizzard site for the original game, I'll look into that if my struggles continue. "
    There's really no reason not to get it. You won't be lost in the story, it's a good game, it'll get you into it at a good pace, etc etc.  

Plus all you need is a CDkey for it, add it to your us.battle.net (eu if you're not in US), and then you get both games.  

Personally I'd just move to SC2 though.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jelekeloy

@Pinworm45
    I would like to get SC2, but I really doubt that my PC will be able to run it since old-ish games like Portal run at about a fram every two seconds on low.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pinworm45
    @jelekeloy said:

" @Pinworm45 I would like to get SC2, but I really doubt that my PC will be able to run it since old-ish games like Portal run at about a fram every two seconds on low. "

Oh damn, that sucks. 

Well in that case, definitely get the original Starcraft. But if you have a Starcraft or a Broodwar CDkey, you can just add them to you're account on battlenet, then you can play both games. 1CDkey gives both. You can download it and play without a disk right afterwords.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jelekeloy
    @Pinworm45: 
    Wow that's awesome, thanks for the info, will do.
    Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaneesh

Touching story. Reminded me of when i first played starcraft as a little kid (no offence intended). Newer was able to beat more than 1 cpu back then.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By slax
    @jelekeloy: Keep in mind that the Starcraft 1 computers are ridiculous. They can do things with far better precision and accuracy than people, and never make a mistake. Their biggest flaw is their early push, if you can stand up to that you have a chance.

But in Starcraft II they have added difficulty levels to their AI making it much more user friendly, so you can get a good handle on the game without getting rushed right out the gate. There are also noob maps that have your entrances blocked off by destructible rocks, to give you just a little more time to build up your army. 

As for Starcraft 1 add a computer to your team. I know it sounds lame, but my friends and I have been getting into SC1 a lot lately too and you really have to outnumber the computer unless you are really solid.
    Roflwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Roflwaffles

When the match starts, attack the computer's base once with one of your SCVs, his workers will chase you until they kill your SCV (as long as you stay range). He will have nothing to mine with, in the mean time, you can build a small army for an easy win :P

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juvarial

As someone who has been playing SC since 1998 I can say do not worry about it. The people in multiplayer are crazy but the story and the gameplay in the campaign will be more then worth the price. Personally I have been spending far too much time trying to get better at SC II via replays and the like.  
    Damn that games hard. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.