StarCraft 2 and the fear of the Multiplayer

#1 Posted by Phyreball (19 posts) -

Great game but man what can Blizzard do to make the Multiplayer of StarCraft 2 seem less daunting to a new Terran General? 

#2 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

Gotta man up bro, GO IN THERE HARD

#3 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

Blizzard have tried very hard, the challenges help new players to get used to most multiplayer ideas, and the 50 practice games that dont have rushed can let the player get to know their race, people who are still scared should grow a pair and stop whining!

#4 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Step one: Acquire hard liquor.
 Step two: Take a shot of hard liquor.
 Step three: Play Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.
 Step four: Repeat steps two and three until you have fun.

#5 Posted by EthanML (455 posts) -

Sometimes you've gotta roll the hard six, son.

#6 Edited by empfeix (774 posts) -

honestly just dive in - if you get beat a couple times go back and look at the replays in which you played against a fellow terran and see what they did to overwhelm you.  Helps a bunch.  Oh and play a bunch of practice games until you memorize the basic hotkeys - barracks, scv, marine, supply depot etc etc 

eventually you will see how popular terran strategies are implemented, sure it may not work as well against zerg or protoss, but the idea at first is to just get faster and more into that mindset, advanced strategies can wait. 

@thehexeditor: ill try it out

#7 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2993 posts) -

practice league is there for a reason man

#8 Posted by Jaserno (242 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
"  Step one: Acquire hard liquor.  
   Step two:  Take a shot of hard liquor.   
 Step four: Repeat steps one to three until you have fun. "
This.
#9 Posted by Rayeth (1043 posts) -

If you really are confused about how to know what units to build when, there is a series of single player challenges that can teach you what units to use vs what, and in order to get the best scores you will need to practice micro, which is good as well.

Also for the true RTS noobie, there is the tutorials, which have a LOT of information in them.  Very good for new players to be told how stuff works in general and that you simply must have many units on the screen.

Also #1 Protip:  NEVER STOP BUILDING WORKERS.  
Honestly, you can never have enough.  If you think you are saturated, keep building anyhow and then move a bunch to your expansion base when it is up.  Also get your expansion up before that time!  90% of Starcraft games are won by just having more money and then getting more stuff.  Cool tricks and micro won't save you from 500000 units and 1a2a3a.

#10 Posted by onimonkii (2442 posts) -

aside from all the tutorials and challenges and stuff? i guess they could put up a reminder that it's still a videogame and losses don't actually mean anything

#11 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

This seems to be a big problem for new players to RTS and starcraft, just remember that mostly everyone playing is a decent person you won't usually get people typing extremely innapropriate things to you, like the things that I've sometimes heard over the xbox, just remember to keep calm, and have some fun, don't worry about winning or losing, you're going to lose a lot when you first start off, just keep at it man, you just need to get used to the game, you have to get your feet wet :)

#12 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

Just do your placement matches. It doesn't matter if you lose those or not, don't worry about it. After you get placed, you'll start having more fun, I practically guarantee it.
#13 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

You get 50 practice league games. If you are still having a hard time after playing all of them, and doing some research, then you should just uninstall.  

You really need to not care about winning at first, you just need to get comfortable with the units and hotkeys. Also you shouldn't just decide on terran right away. Play them all, you may find out that you are better with Zerg or Protoss.

#14 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -
@Jaserno said:
" @thehexeditor said:
"  Step one: Acquire hard liquor.  
   Step two:  Take a shot of hard liquor.   
 Step four: Repeat steps one to three until you have fun. "
This. "
Quite clearly, this indeed.
#15 Posted by FlipperDesert (2087 posts) -

I play against the AI on co-operative when I'm feeling not so good, it keeps me prepared against rushes and it doesn't matter if I lose because it's unranked.

#16 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Ooohh, just stop being a pussy. Honestly, just dive head first into it and you will love it. Watching replays and figuring out good strategies is pretty awesome. Also, everyone acts like it is impossible to get into the multiplayer, but if you play all 50 practice matches while trying to get your hotkeys down and learn builds and strategies, you will be in good shape. I think people are overreacting to the whole multiplayer being crazy thing. Yes, it would have been impossible to get into the first starcraft in the last like 10 years, but now there are sooooo many new people playing SCII that it wont be that hard to get good. Look at Brad, he has limited time to play games, and in a matter of a few months he is gold/platinum tier. Honestly, if your having fun it shouldnt matter. Oh and lastly, find a friend to play with.

#17 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

Stop complaining 
terran is fucking OP right now

#18 Posted by fortisbonitas (1 posts) -

You guys crack me up.  Basically what you're saying is if you don't take all the time to "watch videos, study replays, get your APM up to this or that" then don't plan on ever winning a game.   

Blizzard needs to work harder on matching up new players. I was pretty darn goon in SC1 10 years ago, and SC2 is about the same.  So I figured I'd do ok.  Yeah, I supposedly playing "noobs" as these are my first 10 games.  Noobs who know the exact build order to decimate me with Terrans. 

I've lost ever game I've played in the leagues.  I can just imagine someone who plunked down $60 and who has never played a RTS before, I'm pretty sure they won't be spending any money on the expansion packs.  

Anywho, I'll get better and start to kick ass, so I'm not complaining, it is what it is. But if I were a Blizzard exec, I'd figure out how to make it work well for someone who will never learn how to do macros, much less knowing what "macro" even means. 

Peace.

#19 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (475 posts) -
@fortisbonitas said:
" You guys crack me up.  Basically what you're saying is if you don't take all the time to "watch videos, study replays, get your APM up to this or that" then don't plan on ever winning a game.    Blizzard needs to work harder on matching up new players. I was pretty darn goon in SC1 10 years ago, and SC2 is about the same.  So I figured I'd do ok.  Yeah, I supposedly playing "noobs" as these are my first 10 games.  Noobs who know the exact build order to decimate me with Terrans.  I've lost ever game I've played in the leagues.  I can just imagine someone who plunked down $60 and who has never played a RTS before, I'm pretty sure they won't be spending any money on the expansion packs.   Anywho, I'll get better and start to kick ass, so I'm not complaining, it is what it is. But if I were a Blizzard exec, I'd figure out how to make it work well for someone who will never learn how to do macros, much less knowing what "macro" even means.  Peace. "
Were you playing the practice league? 

All of the practice league matches I've played have been a comfortable pace at beginning, erupting into glorious chaos, and I have only been stomped by my own failures.
#20 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@Phyreball: It's not bad, I was in silver league and winning about half my games immediately after picking the game up with no prior experience.  I got dropped to bronze league in the middle of the night last night though after winning 5 in a row then losing connection in a game.   Bronze league players are horrible.
#21 Posted by reinha6 (63 posts) -

Why, oh why, do I always get my butt handed to me in multiplayer... I barely have enough minerals, and BAM! Army at the door.

#22 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (475 posts) -
@reinha6 said:
" Why, oh why, do I always get my butt handed to me in multiplayer... I barely have enough minerals, and BAM! Army at the door. "
Are you playing Practice League?  If so, then you just need to focus all of your Drone/Probe/SCVs to getting minerals and start building after you've got like 8 or 9 of them on minerals.  Don't worry about vespene for a bit.
#23 Posted by moredonkey (10 posts) -

Practice league is great for taking some of the pressure off. My favorite way to practice is Coop vs AI. It isn't ranked but it is a great way to learn strategies from other players and you can select your difficulty. I think blizzard could make more non-league game types.

#24 Posted by first2die (135 posts) -

I have just jumped in head first and i think that is what everyone has to do. You will lose your first few games, but from that watch the replays see what your enemy did right, recognize your mistakes and do better next time. 

#25 Posted by first2die (135 posts) -
@fortisbonitas said:
" You guys crack me up.  Basically what you're saying is if you don't take all the time to "watch videos, study replays, get your APM up to this or that" then don't plan on ever winning a game.    Blizzard needs to work harder on matching up new players. I was pretty darn goon in SC1 10 years ago, and SC2 is about the same.  So I figured I'd do ok.  Yeah, I supposedly playing "noobs" as these are my first 10 games.  Noobs who know the exact build order to decimate me with Terrans.  I've lost ever game I've played in the leagues.  I can just imagine someone who plunked down $60 and who has never played a RTS before, I'm pretty sure they won't be spending any money on the expansion packs.   Anywho, I'll get better and start to kick ass, so I'm not complaining, it is what it is. But if I were a Blizzard exec, I'd figure out how to make it work well for someone who will never learn how to do macros, much less knowing what "macro" even means.  Peace. "

You make some fair points, but the watching replays is not one of them. On average i found games when i first started went from 10-15 min, with the occasional game going for maybe 30 min. 
When watching replays you can speed it up to 8x normal speed, pause and rewind. Even a 30min game at 8x would take less than 4 min to watch.  

If new players spend at least 5 minutes after being defeated to find out how to do better then they will be ok.  

With the challenges, practices matches, campaign and the fact that matchmaking sets beginners up with beginners i don't see how blizzard could have made this any friendlier. 
#26 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

One important piece of advice for new players: Remember that campaign does not equate to competitive.  Different units, different upgrades, different game styles all mean you can't really compare the two. 

However, if you play through the campaign on at least normal, play through the challenges, play through the practice league, you are more than prepared for playing bronze league.  

I think something that people forget is that when you first start playing CoD, you probably go 3-15 in your first match.  But you respawn in seconds, and get to try again, so learning lessons comes a lot faster.  In SCII, if you start off 3-15 with no prior experience you are doing fine, its just that each of those matches is a little longer, so you feel each one more.  But you still have a learning curve, and need to get your ass kicked a few times.  No one says, "I want to play online MW:2, but I am afraid I will have a negative KDR my first game!"

#27 Posted by Lordborg909 (162 posts) -
@EthanML said:
" Sometimes you've gotta roll the hard six, son. "
This is correct in so many ways. I just started playing my placement matches, got whooped twice and won 3 times.... with a bit of practice you can get the hang of it, and when you lose learn from it! GL!!
#28 Edited by nastyace (10 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:

"  Step one: Acquire hard liquor.  Step two: Take a shot of hard liquor. Step three: Play Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.  Step four: Repeat steps two and three until you have fun. "

It worked!! :D
What liquor do you have there? I have crazy deer! @kishan6 said:

" Stop complaining terran is fucking OP right now "

Hmmmm...in terms of building time or they're just Over powered? I used to play terran on SC1, and man, Terran  can pawn! Sc2? I think terran's has lots of improvement! Planetary Fortress ~ Anti Rush Upgrade, Bunker increase by 2 cargos, Medivacs?! Flying-Cargo Medic! Marauders, and nuclears doesn't need any command center, just the silo...I think Terran's pretty much okay now in Star Craft 2. They got even the, what do you call that unit.......God I forgot!! I don't use it quite often, but it has some kind of Anti-Trajectory kind of Skill, plant it somewhere, and it absorbs any upcoming projectile. Very effective for Terran Defense, and Support. And helions, replacements for firebats, faster, stronger.

PS: I hate Immortals of Protoss :D Stupid 10 damage to whatever attack to shield.....XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.