Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2 Beta... Some Thoughts...

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Inf225

Well I was one of the few lucky people and got into the SC2 beta, and it's been one hell of an experience...

Starcraft always held a special place in my life. It was one of the first games I ever played as a kid... and I contnued to play it all the way through Jr. High. However, when I was a kid I was a weak-ass gamer and I only played skirmish matches with cheats. So, in short... I've never actually won a real Starcraft match. Well, due to my complete lack of RTS skill I haven't really jumped into any other RTS and my skill is 0. But out of some divine luck, I got selected into wave 1 of the Starcraft beta... funny huh?

Well, I decided that it was time I actually played some real matches of Starcraft this time, and maybe I'll actually get good. 

In the beta currently the only ai difficulty is Very Easy... and well, that's a fitting difficulty for me. So far, I haven't lost an ai match and I actually feel somewhat confident about the game. The game is very forgiving with the ai, they just seem to make very bad decisions (like very few workers, not building defenses or large armies)... In other words... they play like me! It's been nice because I'm free to experiment and learn the basics of the game without much fear of loss. 

Well, as per usual, my confidence got the better of me, I jumped right into an online 2v2 match... and brother... I lasted about 6 minutes... so I jumped into a 1v1, about 8 minutes... and this was the practice league... lol... So I decide to jump back into the ai matches and learn the game a bit more. So far, I've played about 50 or so ai matches all wins (except for one where i thought i had paused the game... and I hadn't... but that doesn't count!) and 2 online matches, 2 losses. 

I have to say though, I'm kinda mad at myself for ruining my original starcraft experience with cheats when I was young. I never thought I'd be an RTS fan, but i really am. There's just some weird tingle I get when I build the high tier units and go stomp some feeble ai opponent, or even see an online opponents ridiculously sized force and foolishly attempt to salvage my forces. Starcraft is a great game from top to bottom and I feel so goddamn lucky I got into the beta.

Some interesting things I've learned:
    - When you run out of resources at a base, its a big hassle to move... ugh...
    - The Protoss Mothership is a bad motherfucker... cloaks all your units and it has some killer powers
    - The terrans are pretty lame... I haven't had any fun playing them so far
    - Even ai opponents will say 'gg' when defeated... its a nice touch
    - A good zerg vs ai strategy: Build a shit load of hydralisks and zerglings...nothing else...
    - It took me 15 matches to find this out but the Zerg queen can force more larva out... very useful for army building
    - Build lots of workers early on like 20ish... and immediately expand... since the ai isn't gonna rush you... spend time teching up...
    - The Protoss are totally OP... and I LOVE it...

I'm going to continue playing the shit out of this game and I'll probably have more to say eventually...

Other stuff:
    -New Borderlands expansion is either so-so or the greatest thing ever... I haven't decided yet...
    -Great way to get a girlfriend into games: Pac Man Championship Edition
    -Heard a band called Manchester Orchestra on the radio last night, just bought their album.. goddamn its good...
    -Still getting butterflies from Dragon Age: Awakening info, also Return to Ostagar was kinda lame...

Thanks for Reading,
    Inf225

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Inf225

Well I was one of the few lucky people and got into the SC2 beta, and it's been one hell of an experience...

Starcraft always held a special place in my life. It was one of the first games I ever played as a kid... and I contnued to play it all the way through Jr. High. However, when I was a kid I was a weak-ass gamer and I only played skirmish matches with cheats. So, in short... I've never actually won a real Starcraft match. Well, due to my complete lack of RTS skill I haven't really jumped into any other RTS and my skill is 0. But out of some divine luck, I got selected into wave 1 of the Starcraft beta... funny huh?

Well, I decided that it was time I actually played some real matches of Starcraft this time, and maybe I'll actually get good. 

In the beta currently the only ai difficulty is Very Easy... and well, that's a fitting difficulty for me. So far, I haven't lost an ai match and I actually feel somewhat confident about the game. The game is very forgiving with the ai, they just seem to make very bad decisions (like very few workers, not building defenses or large armies)... In other words... they play like me! It's been nice because I'm free to experiment and learn the basics of the game without much fear of loss. 

Well, as per usual, my confidence got the better of me, I jumped right into an online 2v2 match... and brother... I lasted about 6 minutes... so I jumped into a 1v1, about 8 minutes... and this was the practice league... lol... So I decide to jump back into the ai matches and learn the game a bit more. So far, I've played about 50 or so ai matches all wins (except for one where i thought i had paused the game... and I hadn't... but that doesn't count!) and 2 online matches, 2 losses. 

I have to say though, I'm kinda mad at myself for ruining my original starcraft experience with cheats when I was young. I never thought I'd be an RTS fan, but i really am. There's just some weird tingle I get when I build the high tier units and go stomp some feeble ai opponent, or even see an online opponents ridiculously sized force and foolishly attempt to salvage my forces. Starcraft is a great game from top to bottom and I feel so goddamn lucky I got into the beta.

Some interesting things I've learned:
    - When you run out of resources at a base, its a big hassle to move... ugh...
    - The Protoss Mothership is a bad motherfucker... cloaks all your units and it has some killer powers
    - The terrans are pretty lame... I haven't had any fun playing them so far
    - Even ai opponents will say 'gg' when defeated... its a nice touch
    - A good zerg vs ai strategy: Build a shit load of hydralisks and zerglings...nothing else...
    - It took me 15 matches to find this out but the Zerg queen can force more larva out... very useful for army building
    - Build lots of workers early on like 20ish... and immediately expand... since the ai isn't gonna rush you... spend time teching up...
    - The Protoss are totally OP... and I LOVE it...

I'm going to continue playing the shit out of this game and I'll probably have more to say eventually...

Other stuff:
    -New Borderlands expansion is either so-so or the greatest thing ever... I haven't decided yet...
    -Great way to get a girlfriend into games: Pac Man Championship Edition
    -Heard a band called Manchester Orchestra on the radio last night, just bought their album.. goddamn its good...
    -Still getting butterflies from Dragon Age: Awakening info, also Return to Ostagar was kinda lame...

Thanks for Reading,
    Inf225

ArrenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArrenDusk
    @Inf225: You were pretty damn lucky to get in that beta, and yeah when people get selected, it doesn't seem to matter if you were good at the original or not. I hear a ton of people complaining that while they're "pro", they never got in, while their complete newbie friends manage to be selected. 

Bad to hear about the Terrans though, they're my fave faction out of the bunch. 

And the general rule about RTSes (and any game really) is that an AI match will be completely different than a human match, I only really played skirmishes in the original as well, and if you want some real practice after understanding the faction well (that's what AI skirmishes do really)  then simply play against human opponents. You'll get the hang of it, and you'll get an edge when the game launches because you've got all the Beta experience.
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Inf225
    @ArrenDusk:  I wouldn't exactly say the terrans are bad... I just don't appreciate their aesthetic. and yea, the selection process was pretty random.. if you want a fun read... go over to the Starcraft 2 forums, it's a level of desperation I've never seen...
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I suck at RTS games too. My main strategy is to mine all the minerals in my base and build a huge army and send them all into the enemy base. That works against the AI, but I get my ass kicked when I try to play a human. I still had fun playing against my friends, or watching saved games from pros, but even with a good build order printed out and sitting next to me I sill suck. My friends say I need to do more recon and expand faster, but I just don't have the drive to keep practicing. Fighters and FPS's is where I feel at home.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Eurobum

I understand that after a dozen of ranked matches against ranked opponents. Your relative skill level will be evaluated and you will be placed in a league according to your relative strength. In theory you ought to win about half of your games once you face people with equal skill, which should result in a lot of entertaining games.

If you have the balls to make the jump into competitive play, a beginners perspective - especially into match making - would be quite interesting for the huge number of people who find themselves in the same position. There is plenty of coverage of high level RTS veteran play on Youtube and teamliquid.net, but I guess it would be interesting how a beginner fares on B.net beyond the initial set backs (and the whining of game "journalists" and how they like to turtle and know nothing, after which they declare their eternal and unconditional love for Starcraft). 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm really looking forward to playing Starcraft. I've wanted to get back into playing RTS but there are so many that I didn't know which one to choose. I'll be getting Starcraft 2 day one.
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rehehelly

I'd just say watch some livestreams of people playing the beta, like those on starcraftmethod or download some replays

Playing against the AI teaches you nothing when you move on to play against real people, except what tech you have. For example... 
    " - When you run out of resources at a base, its a big hassle to move... ugh... "

Should never happen, ever. You should have a few expansions up before you begin to run out of resources at your main. 
    Man I so want SC2.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Inf225
    @Eurobum: I might do some blogs about going into competitivewith absolutely no experience, would anyone be interested in this?
    @SpikeSpiegel: The beta has actually served as an excellent advertisement for the game, for me anyways, I wasn't totally sold on buying it right away, but after getting into the beta, I'm gonna be all over it, day one.
    @Rehehelly:  I'll take a look at some replays, and I'l watch those SC2 battle reports as well.. maybe I can pick some stuff up...
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eurobum

[edited]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.