Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2 EU

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JohnLocke

Hey all

I was wandering if any of you are active Starcraft 2 players or a fellow newbie in getting into the game?

Personally I have restarted playing this game (got it at launch, did a few missions and multiplayer games and then stopped playing for whatever reason) but am back into it and would like to find some new players to learn the ropes with.

So if you are on the EU server please reply to this or PM me and then hopefully we can have a laugh and get our Starcraft 2 on.

Other than that, any tips for a relative newbie to the game? I mostly play as Terran but have used Zerg in the past (can not get my head around Protoss at all).

Share your Starcraft 2 stories here

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JohnLocke

Anybody?

Also just heard Brad talking about this game on the Bombcast from last week which was interesting. I hope Heart of the Swarm adds to the multiplayer units, disappointed that the medic is not in the current multiplayer :(

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By EthanML

Why would you want medic when you have medivacs? They're superior in every way other than cool-factor =p

New multiplyaer units for HotS have been announced for some time, though they are still being balanced and such and some have been cut/changed already so nothing's set in stone, as is always the case with Blizzard.

As for newbie tips, focus on using hotkeys and control groups as much as possible, for as many things as possible. You should be using your mouse as little as possible.

eg. have both your command centres on, say, 4, so that you can constantly make SCVs without looking (that should have been my first point actually - be making workers, CONSTANTLY. Do not stop.)

Then maybe have your all of your barracks on 3, again so you can be making units non-stop without having to look and select them manually.

Next, always be making supply depots at regular intervals, getting supply blocked is the bane of all low level players. When you go up to 2 bases, start making them 2 at a time to keep up, and so on.

Keep your money low. Money/gas in the bank is money that you are gaining zero benfit from. If you find yourself with 1000 minerals, throw down another expansion and a bunch more barracks/factories, anything is better than having a pile of money and dying without getting to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/filtersc - This guy does pretty good tutorials for low right up to fairly decent skill levels.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0B7058D9D46661D1&feature=plcp - ...as does this guy.

In summary, focus on: not getting supply blocked, ever, and constantly making stuff, both workers and army units. It doesnt even matter what stuff as long as its constant. That alone is enough to get you to gold and beyond without a problem, if you do it well whatsoever. And remember to expand early and often! New players tend to stay on one base forever - this is very bad.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to me ^_^

GLHF!

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnLocke

@EthanML said:

Why would you want medic when you have medivacs? They're superior in every way other than cool-factor =p

New multiplyaer units for HotS have been announced for some time, though they are still being balanced and such and some have been cut/changed already so nothing's set in stone, as is always the case with Blizzard.

As for newbie tips, focus on using hotkeys and control groups as much as possible, for as many things as possible. You should be using your mouse as little as possible.

eg. have both your command centres on, say, 4, so that you can constantly make SCVs without looking (that should have been my first point actually - be making workers, CONSTANTLY. Do not stop.)

Then maybe have your all of your barracks on 3, again so you can be making units non-stop without having to look and select them manually.

Next, always be making supply depots at regular intervals, getting supply blocked is the bane of all low level players. When you go up to 2 bases, start making them 2 at a time to keep up, and so on.

Keep your money low. Money/gas in the bank is money that you are gaining zero benfit from. If you find yourself with 1000 minerals, throw down another expansion and a bunch more barracks/factories, anything is better than having a pile of money and dying without getting to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/filtersc - This guy does pretty good tutorials for low right up to fairly decent skill levels.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0B7058D9D46661D1&feature=plcp - ...as does this guy.

In summary, focus on: not getting supply blocked, ever, and constantly making stuff, both workers and army units. It doesnt even matter what stuff as long as its constant. That alone is enough to get you to gold and beyond without a problem, if you do it well whatsoever. And remember to expand early and often! New players tend to stay on one base forever - this is very bad.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to me ^_^

GLHF!

Interesting tips, thank you.

I have been trying to learn to use the hotkeys although I may need to start having them on the same keys (as I swap them each match thus making it harder to remember which does what). Also, can you build queue? (for instance I want my SVC to make a supply depot then make a barracks, is that possible?)

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By EthanML

Yes, you queue commands by shift-clicking :) So anytime you send scvs to make buildings etc, shift-click them back on to the minerals so they go back to mining when done. (The example you gave is a bad one because, if you're making multiple buildings at once, just send that number of scvs to do it, or it will take forever.)

Shift can also be used for things like sieging tanks after move commands, or unloading drops!

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JohnLocke

Nice one, thank you :)

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

I might be interested. I've pretty much finished building a new PC, just don't hold your breath I still need to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse and then the game itself.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag
    JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JohnLocke

@Slag said:

sorry I'm on US, so I can't play with you.

sc2 is grest fun man. if you havem't already check out Day9's vids. He is a great teacher and passionate fan of the game

http://blip.tv/day9tv

also Liquidpedia is an amazing resource for everything SC2 multiplayer

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page

Will give them a check, thank you :)

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I get that this thread is a month old, but if you're still looking for a fellow newbie to play with I'd be up for it.

I played a bunch when the game first came out then stopped after a couple of months and am looking to get back into it :)

Username is Protome, character code is 476. EU server.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.