Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2 is coming... hell, it's about damn time!

MechaGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By MechaGS

It's no secret that I'm a huge Blizzard fan having followed them since their early titles pre-dating 1997. There was only one game that ever stood out for me though (aside from World of Warcraft but that's cause it's an MMO) and that game was the highly-acclaimed RTS Starcraft. The chance to play as three factions at the time was unheard of in the gaming community and that game brought so much lore and balance to the genre that it's no wonder the game is still played even today (and in some countries professionally) by millions of people the world-over.

Now... I wasn't very good at the multiplayer in Starcraft so I'll mostly be in it for the continuation of the storyline. I loved the original single player campaign and I believe the writers will have us all on the end of our seats with the new arcs in Starcraft 2. I'm also hoping that those who are buying Starcraft 2 and are new to the series will give the single player a chance as there will be a full re-cap of the storyline thus-far for those who want to be caught up (those buying the Collectors Edition will get the original game and expansion on the USB key so you could just play it if you wanted -- hint hint!). Plus, with each races campaign promising a lengthy play-through and proper non-cliffhanger endings (via two separate expansion packs), this game will truly be the RTS to own over the next 10 years.

Of course, most of the play will take place in the multiplayer via battle.net and the newly created ladder and custom match systems. It's great to know that the game will feature tiering for people who aren't very good at RTS-style games as the thought of being put up against a Korean professional just doesn't sit well with me any more. I'll look forward to taking on the people in the bracket suited to me and here's hoping I'll meet many of you in-game.

So, why am I blogging about Starcraft 2? Well, at this point I'm quite hyped to play the single player campaign and from being in the beta I know that the multiplayer will be a very strong component, making this game a long-standing title that I'm sure I'll end up happily wasting hundreds of hours in. The trailers have literally blown me away as well. I'm loving the new CG work and from what we've all most likely seen the games set to blow us all away with it's content. I'm now at the point where I want to ask Blizzard for a CG Starcraft movie.

Anyway, I've pre-ordered the Collector's Edition as I felt like splashing out a little on this title. This will be the 3rd game I buy this year and probably the best one at that. With my copy waiting to be sent today according to the online retailer, I'll hopefully receive it either tomorrow or Monday depending on how quickly it makes it through the postal service.

It's all now a waiting game and I know I'll be installing early on Tuesday morning. So all I have left to say is I'll see many of you in-game and here's hoping for some good matches!

MechaGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MechaGS

It's no secret that I'm a huge Blizzard fan having followed them since their early titles pre-dating 1997. There was only one game that ever stood out for me though (aside from World of Warcraft but that's cause it's an MMO) and that game was the highly-acclaimed RTS Starcraft. The chance to play as three factions at the time was unheard of in the gaming community and that game brought so much lore and balance to the genre that it's no wonder the game is still played even today (and in some countries professionally) by millions of people the world-over.

Now... I wasn't very good at the multiplayer in Starcraft so I'll mostly be in it for the continuation of the storyline. I loved the original single player campaign and I believe the writers will have us all on the end of our seats with the new arcs in Starcraft 2. I'm also hoping that those who are buying Starcraft 2 and are new to the series will give the single player a chance as there will be a full re-cap of the storyline thus-far for those who want to be caught up (those buying the Collectors Edition will get the original game and expansion on the USB key so you could just play it if you wanted -- hint hint!). Plus, with each races campaign promising a lengthy play-through and proper non-cliffhanger endings (via two separate expansion packs), this game will truly be the RTS to own over the next 10 years.

Of course, most of the play will take place in the multiplayer via battle.net and the newly created ladder and custom match systems. It's great to know that the game will feature tiering for people who aren't very good at RTS-style games as the thought of being put up against a Korean professional just doesn't sit well with me any more. I'll look forward to taking on the people in the bracket suited to me and here's hoping I'll meet many of you in-game.

So, why am I blogging about Starcraft 2? Well, at this point I'm quite hyped to play the single player campaign and from being in the beta I know that the multiplayer will be a very strong component, making this game a long-standing title that I'm sure I'll end up happily wasting hundreds of hours in. The trailers have literally blown me away as well. I'm loving the new CG work and from what we've all most likely seen the games set to blow us all away with it's content. I'm now at the point where I want to ask Blizzard for a CG Starcraft movie.

Anyway, I've pre-ordered the Collector's Edition as I felt like splashing out a little on this title. This will be the 3rd game I buy this year and probably the best one at that. With my copy waiting to be sent today according to the online retailer, I'll hopefully receive it either tomorrow or Monday depending on how quickly it makes it through the postal service.

It's all now a waiting game and I know I'll be installing early on Tuesday morning. So all I have left to say is I'll see many of you in-game and here's hoping for some good matches!

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By illmatic19

I can't believe it's actually coming.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

...5 more days.  

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mariek430

Think im one of the few buying it just for the single player.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I never saw the appeal of real time strategy games. 

It really just seems like a lot of trial and error to me.

MechaGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MechaGS

I'm mainly buying the game for the single player campaign but I do want to attempt getting into the multiplayer this time around. Having been in the beta I think that everyone should give each aspect of the game a chance, even if your not big on the campaign and/or multiplayer gameplay,  I'm sure there will be reasons for all to play and enjoy.

Looks like my copies not going to arrive tomorrow, here's hoping for a Monday arrival.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ryanwho
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " I never saw the appeal of real time strategy games.  It really just seems like a lot of trial and error to me. "
    That's every game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.