Starcraft 2 Standoff = Serious Business

#151 Posted by Azzmodan (1 posts) -

@gunslingerNZ said:

" @sixghost: No I think the person with units left is clearly the victor in this situation. If this was a real war the guy with some men left has clearly won the battle when all the enemy has left is a hut... "

If this was a real war he could use his very heavy jet powered war machine producing hut to burn the men with swords with his jet and/or squash them by landing on top of them.
#152 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

This is all of those idiots fault who said to plug in your mic and play music, as soon as I saw that happening I knew you would fuck up and screw something up
#153 Posted by Cedstick (26 posts) -

Some dude on the Team Liquid forums had a nine-hour stand-off, and the game ended-up just kicking them both out :P

#154 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

My favourite thread for a long time.

#155 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -

I can't believe this thread got so many replies.

#156 Posted by dubios451 (134 posts) -

Keep it up, see who suffers hardware failure first 

#157 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Is it over yet?

#158 Edited by DG991 (1344 posts) -

lol, this happens in a lot of RTS's... but it actually matters for you! 

Keep it up and I hope that little bitch quits! 

edit: Nevermind, i went back and saw that you hit the reset button. 

FAIL! :(

#159 Posted by Leafblight (19 posts) -

Well, you should have at least enough troops to spread out and cover all of the map or have enough resources to make enough, so you should do that as a first step and then have a carrier or other fast troop hunting

#160 Posted by stabbyMcstabbin (1 posts) -
#161 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -
@stabbyMcstabbin: 

wow how funny is that? i started the topic to entertain the community and pass the time during the stalemate, never thought there would be multiple threads all over the place
#162 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Did you win? 

I don't feel like reading 8 pages.

#163 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

no it ended badly as i accidently hit my pc reset button blindly trying to plug in my usb headset
#164 Posted by soul_grafitti (1 posts) -
@evildeadron: "  wow how funny is that? i started the topic to entertain the community and pass the time during the stalemate, never thought there would be multiple threads all over the place" 

hey, i'm the poster of that article that was linked here (i was just about to post it myself when i saw one of my community members beat me to it). I was compelled by your tale of virtual endurance and stubbornness so I wanted to sum it up in a single article.  i think what happened to you was hilariously unfortunate and I found myself coming back to this forum to see how things would play out. this was a great little story you involved us in, thank you : )  

for people who don't know what i'm going on about and CBA to back track, here is the article  http://virtuallyreality.supacomm.net/2010/08/02/starcraft-pride/
#165 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

I've never seen so many views on one topic!!

#166 Posted by PATERSON (248 posts) -

You see? this is why I don't play Starcraft 2! I have no idea what you just said haha.

#167 Posted by Milkman (16679 posts) -

Also mentioned on the podcast. I can't believe I missed this. You fought the good fight. Never give up. Never surrender.

#168 Posted by EkajArmstro (385 posts) -

On the recent Day 9 Daily 157 (GAME RESULT SPOILERS) there is a two hour game, actually played in a professional match between Mardow and inuh, that eventually ends in a draw because the entire map has no minerals left, zerg has no air units left, terran lifted, and only has ravens left against a bunch of queens and spore crawlers. It kindof reminded me of this. Also, it proves that games can actually end in a draw in a tournament, and there is no reason for terran to be considered the loser.

#169 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Can;t believe i missed this dude! Honestly this is an Epic tale and definitely the best thing i've read this week so far! I want to shake your E-hand! 

Strangely enough it would seem someone else had a similar experience in  which he had no anti air and his terran opponent flew the hell away xD 

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248295166?page=1#1

#170 Edited by evildeadron (830 posts) -

pretty cool how it became a legitimate topic of discussion on the bombcast regarding draws and stalemates in online mp games 

and HOLY SHIT 90k views
#171 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@Levio said:
" @Meteora said:
" @Levio said:
" You call him a "douchebag", when you're really just as bad as him.  You wasted as much of his time as he did to you, yet somehow you feel like the superior one. "
The problem was that had the other player not lift up his factory like a jackass, the OP would have won. Instead, the douchebag won in what should have been a victory for the OP. "
 Letting the opponent destroy your entire base has consequences.  Try not to let that happen. "
What massive stick is up your ass?
#172 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Haha good luck man, you got this.

#173 Posted by Jaconius (145 posts) -

That guy was an ignoramus. 

#174 Posted by FlipperDesert (2083 posts) -
@evildeadron said:
" pretty cool how it became a legitimate topic of discussion on the bombcast regarding draws and stalemates in online mp games   and HOLY SHIT 90k views "
I was just gonna say, that's the most views I've seen on a topic here, congrats.

This does seem like a huge problem in the game, does anyone know if Blizzard's said anything about it? I know I would be furious if someone pulled that on me.
#175 Posted by Cambody (30 posts) -

You have my respect sir! 

#176 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -

I had a similar thing happen where the terran moved his base to an island and I had nothing to go get him with... so annoying. They need to run out of gas or something. 

#177 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -

The more I hear about SC2, the more I hear about god-awful draws that just keep going without a way for either side to end them.  What is wrong with that game?

#178 Posted by Lordborg909 (162 posts) -
@Milkman said:
 Never give up. Never surrender. "
Galaxy Quest inadvertent quote?
#179 Posted by raiz265 (2238 posts) -
#180 Posted by chinchillazilla (1 posts) -

Hahaha, what a coincidence! I had a very similar match myself recently. It was Terran vs. Terran; we both went straight for banshees and decimated each others' bases simultaneously, lifting off our remaining buildings to avoid demise. By the end, we both had a half-dozen banshees and a couple of buildings floating around and neither person could win. So we floated around chatting for a while until he decided to be a better man than I and surrender. He said he admired my persistence, haha. He was pretty cool about it though, so it wasn't like it was a waste of time or anything. End time was only around an hour and 10 minutes.

#181 Posted by MAST (730 posts) -
@EkajArmstro said:
"Also, it proves that games can actually end in a draw in a tournament, and there is no reason for terran to be considered the loser. "
Actually, there are a lot of reasons the Terran should be considered a loser in these kinds of situations. For one, most of the time when this happens the Terran player has no resources, no supply, and only one structure (like a Factory, or Barracks) that he lifts off just to be an a.hole. While the other player often has a superior army, and could easily win if the structure would just land.

Let me put it this way. Terran player has one structure in the air, no resources at all, so that even if he did sneak the structure away and land it, he still wouldn't be able to produce anything. Other player (let's say Protoss in this case) has 30 Zealots. The Protoss player is in a superior position, and thus deserves the win. The Terran player is only staving off defeat on a game technicality... They really need to make it to where if a Terran structure stays lifted off for more then say, 5 minutes, then it just blows up. Or maybe make it to where it catches fire which slowly damages the structure, and the fire can only be put out by landing the structure, and having an SCV repair it (which would cost resources). That would completely get rid of any situation like the one I just mentioned. The Terran player would be forced to land, and fight, and wouldn't be able to keep a single structure in the air just because he knows he's going to lose, and wants to be a douchebag about it.

To sum up. These situations should rarely result in a "draw," but instead should almost always result in the Terran player losing (since the Terran players unit/structure count is usually inferior). Blizzard needs to figure out a way to make this happen.
#182 Edited by EkajArmstro (385 posts) -
@MAST:  The objective of the game is to kill all of the opponent's buildings. If you can't kill a lifted building YOU CAN NOT WIN. Unit/Structure count means nothing, and I cited a reputable game to actually prove my point.
#183 Posted by JumpingRetards (51 posts) -
@evildeadron:  This happened to my friend once, except that he was the Terran and instead of a factory it was his command center.  He lost because he tried to land it and make an SCV.  What a dumbass.
#184 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@MAST:    If you can't kill him, and he can't kill you.  Its a draw.  
#185 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

It's technically legitimate, because it's using game mechanics, but it more or less an exploit of game mechanics that should be addressed.  A time limit for how long a building can stay lifted off would be fine (even a pretty excessive one like 10 minutes or so).  Though that would make the Hard achievement of The Dig a lot harder.   

So yes, technically legitimate, but it needs to be changed.

#186 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -
@DragonBloodthirsty said:
" The more I hear about SC2, the more I hear about god-awful draws that just keep going without a way for either side to end them.  What is wrong with that game? "
Draws are very rare. I've played 200+ matches and not a single one of them was a draw.
#187 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -
@Addfwyn said:
" It's technically legitimate, because it's using game mechanics, but it more or less an exploit of game mechanics that should be addressed.  A time limit for how long a building can stay lifted off would be fine (even a pretty excessive one like 10 minutes or so).  Though that would make the Hard achievement of The Dig a lot harder.    So yes, technically legitimate, but it needs to be changed. "
Well shit, why didn't I think of that! I keep trying to charge into one of their base with marines and tanks, usually succeed with barely anything remaining and get wiped out by the reinforcements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.