Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

StarCraft II Available For Download Now, Unlocks July 27

• 89 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

When Blizzard finally revealed the July 27 launch date for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, it mentioned that the digital release of the game would be available shortly following its retail launch. Today, we learned just how short the timeframe between the retail and digital versions of the game really is: about ten hours.  

Blizzard has announced that the digital version of StarCraft II will be released on July 27, the same date as the retail version. You'll be able to download and play the game the day it comes out. However, if you're dead set on forgoing the brick-and-mortar, there are a few things you need to be aware of. 

Don't leave the house to buy StarCraft! Stay at home and enjoy a good smoke.

== TEASER ==Here's how it's going down: right now, at this very moment, you can download the full StarCraft II client. The whole thing! And you don't even have to pay for it! It's free! Of course, you can't do anything with that client, because you technically don't own it yet; the StarCraft II download still needs to be purchased and activated on Battle.net, and those functions won't become available until the July 27 launch date. Yep, you can't even buy the digital release of the game until the 27th. 

Furthermore, the online copies won't have activation access right at the stroke of midnight; that functionality goes live at 10 AM Pacific Daylight Style, so if you desperately need to inject StarCraft directly into your eye socket (so you can feel it faster!), the inevitable midnight launch at a retail store might be the way to go. 

It's also worth mentioning that if you aim to take the digital road to StarCraft II, you'll only have access to the regular versions of the game; the special edition of StarCraft II will come in a box only, so if you're angling for exclusive multiplayer skins and a new pet for your World of Warcraft character (who isn't?), then you need to get that game in a box.

Oh, and all of your digital StarCraft-ing is going to go down exclusively in the Blizzard store and nowhere else; Blizzard isn't selling StarCraft II through Steam, GFWL, or any other online PC game distribution service. 

But if you do jump through those hoops and abide by those rules, then you'll be able to download and play StarCraft II only ten hours after it's retail launch, instead of a day or a week later. Provided, of course, that the Battle.net servers aren't totally thrashed on launch day, making it impossible to get the game verified online. Which they will be. Because this is a Blizzard game

How are you guys planning to purchase StarCraft II? Is your Steam library large enough that you're fine with downloading a game? Or will you purchase SCII, like all of your PC games, from a retail outlet?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

When Blizzard finally revealed the July 27 launch date for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, it mentioned that the digital release of the game would be available shortly following its retail launch. Today, we learned just how short the timeframe between the retail and digital versions of the game really is: about ten hours.  

Blizzard has announced that the digital version of StarCraft II will be released on July 27, the same date as the retail version. You'll be able to download and play the game the day it comes out. However, if you're dead set on forgoing the brick-and-mortar, there are a few things you need to be aware of. 

== TEASER ==Here's how it's going down: right now, at this very moment, you can download the full StarCraft II client. The whole thing! And you don't even have to pay for it! It's free! Of course, you can't do anything with that client, because you technically don't own it yet; the StarCraft II download still needs to be purchased and activated on Battle.net, and those functions won't become available until the July 27 launch date. Yep, you can't even buy the digital release of the game until the 27th. 

Furthermore, the online copies won't have activation access right at the stroke of midnight; that functionality goes live at 10 AM Pacific Daylight Style, so if you desperately need to inject StarCraft directly into your eye socket (so you can feel it faster!), the inevitable midnight launch at a retail store might be the way to go. 

It's also worth mentioning that if you aim to take the digital road to StarCraft II, you'll only have access to the regular versions of the game; the special edition of StarCraft II will come in a box only, so if you're angling for exclusive multiplayer skins and a new pet for your World of Warcraft character (who isn't?), then you need to get that game in a box.

Oh, and all of your digital StarCraft-ing is going to go down exclusively in the Blizzard store and nowhere else; Blizzard isn't selling StarCraft II through Steam, GFWL, or any other online PC game distribution service. 

But if you do jump through those hoops and abide by those rules, then you'll be able to download and play StarCraft II only ten hours after it's retail launch, instead of a day or a week later. Provided, of course, that the Battle.net servers aren't totally thrashed on launch day, making it impossible to get the game verified online. Which they will be. Because this is a Blizzard game

How are you guys planning to purchase StarCraft II? Is your Steam library large enough that you're fine with downloading a game? Or will you purchase SCII, like all of your PC games, from a retail outlet?
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Neat.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Crono

Well, I pre-ordered it with Amazon and getting the free launch-day-delivery.  I am a pretty big Blizzard fanatic so I am definitely toying with the idea of cancelling my order and going digital - but I doubt I will even be home since it is a Tuesday... hmmm

MrGtD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By MrGtD

I really wish they would go through Steam one of these days.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By megasoum

Now why do I have a feeling that even the retail version will have to be activated on the servers opening only at 10am? lol 

I can see it coming. It wouldn't be a surprise considering all the DRM stuff we've seen in the last couple of months.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By peteycoco

I still need my new computer >[ This will definitely be one of the first games on it 

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By tomance

Is there any demo planned?  I'm wondering how it'll run on my Macbook. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad of this, now that I am used to digital download games I did not want to buy this in a store. Now I won't have too. 

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nephrahim

Neat, but I'll be going to the store and buying it.  Hoping for a nice little booklet or something to keep.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By tebbit

I already pre-ordered it. 

So download can suck a fat one.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By TheAdmin

I have a ton of games in my steam library and have no desire to buy from the "brick" stores... I get all my games (if available) through Steam.  

However, I don't really trust this download...  I think I would feel more comfortable getting a retail copy then a download for a game like this. I get this feeling they won't keep the download around if you wanted to download it at a later time or install it on another computer. 

I also have a feeling you're going to have to authenticate the box copy too... 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devil240Z

yeah if I already have the game on my computer then I might as well buy it digitally. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Hitchenson

Just cancelled my Amazon order, how I love digital distribution. 

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By paulwade1984

I'm not gonna buy it at all. The multiplayer is completely untouchable now. Even before the release the beta has seen to it that everybody can kick my ass.

The single player is just yet more uninspired old skool rts'ing.

Now Diablo 3 is will be buying from the online store. Damn right. Fuck retail.

James0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By James0890

Why do the Blizzard guys still refuse to sell through Steam when Activision have completely embraced Steamworks?

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Xealot42

Not sure if I want to stick with my Amazon order or switch to the download.  The activation servers will surely be swamped by the time I get off work either way.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @MrGtD said:
    " I really wish they would go through Steam one of these days. "
    I agree even though this is still cool I'm gonna buy the retail game if I can find a copy of it.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18  Edited By Vinchenzo

Getting the C.E. so this does not affect me.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

Keep in mind, this is only for people who want to buy it digitally, if you're getting retail you can't use it!

Bloodrush545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bloodrush545
    @99X: If it works the same way as they have StarCraft set up. You can download it and put it on any computer. I have one installed on my laptop and one installed on my desktop.
    letsgohome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By letsgohome

So I pre-ordered SC2 at my local Gamestop. If I download the client now, can I just pop in the key and go right as I get home? Or will I have to install it thru the disc? I want to get my SC2 fix as quickly as possible!

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, how does "download client now, buy and activate later" constitute as "jumping through hoops"?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Neat, but no Steamplay means no sale. I have to switch between too many computers to deal with some proprietary bullshit. 

I'll get the retail box soon enough. Does anyone know if the mac and PC version are all included in one disc like past Blizzard games? 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
    @letsgohome said:

" So I pre-ordered SC2 at my local Gamestop. If I download the client now, can I just pop in the key and go right as I get home? Or will I have to install it thru the disc? I want to get my SC2 fix as quickly as possible! "

If you buy retail, the version you can DL right now won't work...retail buyers do it the normal way!  It says so right on the Battle.net site.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Neat, but no Steamplay means no sale. I have to switch between too many computers to deal with some proprietary bullshit.  I'll get the retail box soon enough. Does anyone know if the mac and PC version are all included in one disc like past Blizzard games?  "
    Dude you know you can DL Blizzard games as many times as you want on as many PCs right?  Once the code is on your Real ID, you can DL it a million times a day!  I own every Blizzard game and put them all on my Real ID, I can now freely DL them anytime as many times!
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

Starcraft 2 is definitely a purchase-at-retail kind of game.  All the same, I'd like to see a demo so I can get a taste for how well it runs on my PC.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By drwhat

this is all really oddly phrased and, basically, badly written, thanks for the info though.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rehehelly
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " Neat, but no Steamplay means no sale. I have to switch between too many computers to deal with some proprietary bullshit.  I'll get the retail box soon enough. Does anyone know if the mac and PC version are all included in one disc like past Blizzard games?  "
    Dude you know you can DL Blizzard games as many times as you want on as many PCs right?  Once the code is on your Real ID, you can DL it a million times a day!  I own every Blizzard game and put them all on my Real ID, I can now freely DL them anytime as many times! "
    Every blizzard game you say? I tried to add Orcs and Humans to my battle.net account and.. since it doens't use a CD key, you can't. 

Really excited for SC2, might just buy the retail version for the sake of it. Still get to add it to my battle.net account to download on other PCs heh.
    ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By ribeye

so wait, we can pre-load it now for free, but pay for it and activate it on the 27th? 

perfect!
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ribeye said:
    " so wait, we can pre-load it now for free, but pay for it and activate it on the 27th?  perfect! "
    Yeah, that's right...but if you already got a pre-order and want your retail copy, the DL won't work!  You need to use the standard DVD install. 

@Rehehelly: Ha-ha.  Every Blizzard game with a serial key.  Happy?  >.>
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By jimi

Any word on the EU? (Specifically the UK)

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32  Edited By spiceninja
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Starcraft 2 is definitely a purchase-at-retail kind of game.  All the same, I'd like to see a demo so I can get a taste for how well it runs on my PC. "
    My specs are 

Intel Dual Core 2.2Ghz Processor
    2GB Ram
    ATI 2400 HD Graphics Card

It's not the best PC but it runs SC2 really well, though I have to put the graphics down to medium.
    UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UncleDisco
    @Jimi: 
    downloading it right now, and im from Denmark... so It should work for you too.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox

I.... I don't know what to think of the last paragraph. Is it sarcasm?

Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Makula
    @ribeye said:
    " so wait, we can pre-load it now for free, but pay for it and activate it on the 27th?  perfect! "
    I know!! 

DOWNLOADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UncleDisco
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...but if you already got a pre-order and want your retail copy, the DL won't work!  You need to use the standard DVD install. 

You sure? I wouldn't be surprised if you were just able to punch in your serial to your battle.net account, and then just play the DL version... since im pretty sure SCII requires you to log on your battle.net account..
    PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PolyesterPimp
    @99X: You are aware that Blizzard lets you re-download every game that requires a cd-key off their website without any trouble? I wouldn't be worried about them going out of business anytime soon seeing either so not being able to re-download it at anytime within the next 5 years shouldnt be an issue. Just sayin.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spoonman671
    @PlasmaBeam44 said:

" @Spoonman671 said:

" Starcraft 2 is definitely a purchase-at-retail kind of game.  All the same, I'd like to see a demo so I can get a taste for how well it runs on my PC. "
    My specs are   Intel Dual Core 2.2Ghz Processor2GB Ram ATI 2400 HD Graphics Card  It's not the best PC but it runs SC2 really well, though I have to put the graphics down to medium. "
    Yeah, I definitely meet the requirements, and from what I've heard Starcraft 2 is extremely well optimized.  I just prefer to have an opportunity to experience it first-hand.  Just the same, it's reassuring to know that you can run it okay with a modest rig.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FlemmingM said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " ...but if you already got a pre-order and want your retail copy, the DL won't work!  You need to use the standard DVD install. 

You sure? I wouldn't be surprised if you were just able to punch in your serial to your battle.net account, and then just play the DL version... since im pretty sure SCII requires you to log on your battle.net account.. "

No Caption Provided
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By giyanks22

god... I  can't believe its less than two weeks away...after 11 years of waiting... GOD DAMNIT I WANT THAT GAME

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlastProcessing

Did they release the system requirements yet?

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UncleDisco
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @FlemmingM said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

You sure? I wouldn't be surprised if you were just able to punch in your serial to your battle.net account, and then just play the DL version... since im pretty sure SCII requires you to log on your battle.net account.. "

No Caption Provided
    "
    Yeah I saw that... Im calling it a bluff though :P Im gonna try anyway on the release date.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FlemmingM:  I see what you're saying.  I'll be picking up the CE at midnight and quickly log into my Battle.net account to lock in the serial keys, and I too got a hunch I could just sign into the account at will. 

The problem is, the DL version activates at 12:00 p.m., my time so it'd be quicker if I just install off the DVD.
    UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UncleDisco
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @FlemmingM:  I see what you're saying.  I'll be picking up the CE at midnight and quickly log into my Battle.net account to lock in the serial keys, and I too got a hunch I could just sign into the account at will.  The problem is, the DL version activates at 12:00 p.m., my time so it'd be quicker if I just install off the DVD. "
    Well my Mail-man will be probally arrive with my copy, after it get's digital released... Are you in the US? I could give you a head up if it works, since we're getting it a few hours earlier in Europe.
    Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cybexx

That is interesting that the DL version delay only matters to people who are going to grab it on midnight release. Their previous stuff with Wrath of the Lich King was at least a day, might have even been a week, can't remember correctly. 

If I wasn't grabbing the Collectors Edition I would probably just download it. Blizzard is one of the very few companies that I still care about getting a boxed copy. Thankfully like all other blizzard games post Starcraft I can just register my Key and download it digitally on both my PC and Macs.

SiN_BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SiN_BR

Well ive got 85 steam games so im no stranger to downloads....and since im in Brazil there is a chance starcraft 2 wont come out here in retail. So download is the way to go.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By harris
    @KaosAngel: Did they actually confirm that? I have a feeling they're just suggesting against it to save on bandwidth. 

edit: oops, did not notice that this thread has a second and third page, my point was already discussed.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KaosAngel
    @harris said:
    " @KaosAngel: Did they actually confirm that? I have a feeling they're just suggesting against it to save on bandwidth.  edit: oops, did not notice that this thread has a second and third page, my point was already discussed. "

Everyone would have the same amount to DL, the version you download right now is the Phase 1 version.  I got a hunch the retail is the same version. 

Maybe when you DL the digital you have to buy it before you can install?  That's the only reason I see why, unless FlemmingM is right about Blizzard bluffing for whatever reason.
    vespene_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vespene_jazz

Just writing a testimony for those who are still confused about this. 

I bought Wrath using their online store and it's pretty much flawless. You enter your info, download, install and go. You don't have to enter any serial (why are people still talking about these??) and you can pretty much download as many times and on as many PCs as you want. You can only play one account at a time of course, just like STEAM. 

The only thing the don't seem to tell is if you're single progress is on their servers (steamcloud) or local. All the achievement stuff is already server-side so MAYBE yours saves will be online too.  

So for those bitching about it not being on steam, it's really the same thing... just add it to your library if you're that precious ;)

Bye bye nosy *insert retail store here*  clerk, you won't be missed.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
    @vespene_jazz said:

" The only thing the don't seem to tell is if you're single progress is on their servers (steamcloud) or local.  "

I switch between my Desktop and Macbook Pro often daily, and for the most part almost everything is the same.  Well, I think it's all the same.  It saves my unit colour preferences, audio settings (volume levels), and will automatically know which graphics to put it on.   Plus all the normal Battle.net settings are all saved on clouds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the saves were cloud based.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.