Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft Ladder explanation?

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Truant19

Hey guys,  

I have done some searching around and all the explanations I find on how the ladder works seems very poor. Its either outdated, or just doesn't explain some of the most basic features. For instance, a bonus pool is a pool of points that accumulate over time and adds a bonus to your points when winning a game. Ok, but what do points do? Do points move you up in your current ladder or do they promote you to the next league? Do you need to be the top of your ladder to get promoted? 

I usually don't care about this stuff because I have had a 50/50 win rate in my league basically since the start and its always been fun. But lately I have been doing much better. Just today I went 10/0, and the day before 9/2. I seem to be only moving 1 position in the ladder around 3 or so wins, and currently at 17. I have even been beating players from the league above and the game states "even game".  

I read that you can only move up in a league during a "review", but it gives no info on when these reviews happen. Is it once a week or once a season? 

This is the same problem I had with WoW arena (wotlk/cata), they make the system so complicated it can take away from the competition because there is so much behind the scenes that is kept hidden.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Truant19: Bonus pool gives you bonus points at the end of the match. If your bonus pool is really high, for example, you'll gain 25 points for a win; if it's really low - 18 (random numbers, just to generalize). Its purpose is to give the players who haven't played in a long time an edge and a chance to catch up.

You also don't get promoted based on your place in a league; what matters is your MMR indicator which depends on who you win and lose against. 

I don't know how the promotion works, but I know this: the only way to get promoted is to win games!

So don't really bother with some special times when to play or something; win a lot, you'll get promoted. That's how easy it is. Also I don't know who told you about the "review" but it sounds like complete and utter bollocks to me.

Win a lot, get better = you'll get promoted. Hope that helps.
    Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Joru
    Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Truant19
    @imsh_pl said:
    @Truant19: Bonus pool gives you bonus points at the end of the match. If your bonus pool is really high, for example, you'll gain 25 points for a win; if it's really low - 18 (random numbers, just to generalize). Its purpose is to give the players who haven't played in a long time an edge and a chance to catch up.

You also don't get promoted based on your place in a league; what matters is your MMR indicator which depends on who you win and lose against. 

I don't know how the promotion works, but I know this: the only way to get promoted is to win games!  So don't really bother with some special times when to play or something; win a lot, you'll get promoted. That's how easy it is. Also I don't know who told you about the "review" but it sounds like complete and utter bollocks to me.  Win a lot, get better = you'll get promoted. Hope that helps.
    from the blizzard QnA 

Q. How does a player move from one league to another? (For Example: from Silver league to Gold.) 
    A. After you’ve finished your initial placement, the system continues to review your performance and determines what league you should be placed in based on those reviews. The time and frequency of these reviews is kept hidden. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.