Thursday Night Throwdown 10/28: StarCraft II

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

By popular demand, Thursday Night Throwdown returns to the well this week for our second StarCraft II competition! Giant Bomb's own Brad Shoemaker will be joined by the only other person I know who's dedication to StarCraft II rivals young Bradley, Tested.com's own Norman Chan. They've fully absorbed the latest patch notes and they've been watching professional StarCraft II matches on GSL every day, and they're ready to 'Toss up the competition! 

We'll kick things off with Brad and Norm rotating into the hot seat for some one-on-one play before shifting into a series of two-vee-two matches, and it'll all culminate with an exhibition match between Team Liquid's HuK and Machine from the Evil Geniuses, two players you may recognize from the pro StarCraft II circuit--though if you don't, all you need to know is that both players are very, very good. Big ups to our friend JP from the MLG for helping us coordinate and organize this match! Be sure and check out the man's competition-focused podcast, State of the Game.

It all kicks off at 4PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonight! If you'd like to participate in tonight's TNT, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Post your StarCraft II character name and character number (both of which you can find on the "add friend" screen within the game) in the comments section below. 
  2. Have StarCraft II loaded up between 4PM and 6PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonight.
  3. Keep your eyes open for a match invite from character name "RomeoTango." That's me!
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

PS: I had previously promised that all this StarCraft II action would be paired with a Whiskey Media Executive Civilization V Tournament of Champions on today's Thursday Night Throwdown. Due to certain technical challenges, and perhaps more importantly, my inability to anticipate the fact that our hometown baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, are in town, playing in the World Effin' Series tonight, we'll have to shelve it for the time being. Don't worry, my turn-based compatriots, I will not let this dream die! Until then, be sure and tune in for what is sure to be an action-packed episode of Thursday Night Throwdown!
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

By popular demand, Thursday Night Throwdown returns to the well this week for our second StarCraft II competition! Giant Bomb's own Brad Shoemaker will be joined by the only other person I know who's dedication to StarCraft II rivals young Bradley, Tested.com's own Norman Chan. They've fully absorbed the latest patch notes and they've been watching professional StarCraft II matches on GSL every day, and they're ready to 'Toss up the competition! 

We'll kick things off with Brad and Norm rotating into the hot seat for some one-on-one play before shifting into a series of two-vee-two matches, and it'll all culminate with an exhibition match between Team Liquid's HuK and Machine from the Evil Geniuses, two players you may recognize from the pro StarCraft II circuit--though if you don't, all you need to know is that both players are very, very good. Big ups to our friend JP from the MLG for helping us coordinate and organize this match! Be sure and check out the man's competition-focused podcast, State of the Game.

It all kicks off at 4PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonight! If you'd like to participate in tonight's TNT, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Post your StarCraft II character name and character number (both of which you can find on the "add friend" screen within the game) in the comments section below. 
  2. Have StarCraft II loaded up between 4PM and 6PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonight.
  3. Keep your eyes open for a match invite from character name "RomeoTango." That's me!
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

PS: I had previously promised that all this StarCraft II action would be paired with a Whiskey Media Executive Civilization V Tournament of Champions on today's Thursday Night Throwdown. Due to certain technical challenges, and perhaps more importantly, my inability to anticipate the fact that our hometown baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, are in town, playing in the World Effin' Series tonight, we'll have to shelve it for the time being. Don't worry, my turn-based compatriots, I will not let this dream die! Until then, be sure and tune in for what is sure to be an action-packed episode of Thursday Night Throwdown!
Staff
#2 Edited by nan0fear (82 posts) -

Im goin to disneyland 

#3 Posted by trixnfx (47 posts) -

Woo can't wait

#4 Posted by ShowNun (49 posts) -

Vincent 468

#5 Posted by ThePickle (4183 posts) -

This will be EPIC!

#6 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

It was cool that you were on the Screening Room, Ryan.

#7 Posted by fRAWRst (238 posts) -

this, this is amazing

#8 Posted by Hampe (182 posts) -

Aw, too bad that the Civ 5 thing won't be happening too. But I expect Brad to kick some serious ass!

#9 Posted by TurboMan (7822 posts) -

I don't have Starcraft II :( 

#10 Posted by Mijati (957 posts) -

Mijati 719

#11 Posted by Metal_Mills (3055 posts) -

PLEASE verse Huk, Brad! I beg of you! It doesn't matter if you lose, it would be awesome.

#12 Posted by MisterMouse (3574 posts) -

woah that sounds very awesome, some solid major league starcraft play!

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12233 posts) -

lolciv

#14 Posted by bluestuff (1 posts) -

bluestuff 155 

#15 Posted by ThatFrood (3418 posts) -

ThatFrood 557

#16 Posted by mosdl (3267 posts) -

Go giants!

#17 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

That sucks about the cancellation of Civilization V in this week's TNT, but it will be interesting to see Starcraft II tournament-ation at work.

#18 Posted by fisk0 (4699 posts) -

too bad Battle.net is using region restrictions nowadays, finally a game I have on a platform I have (since Quakeworld) - not that I should be awake to play at that time anyway.

#19 Edited by sixghost (1679 posts) -

sixghost.219

this is gonna be an awesome tnt

#20 Posted by rpratts (76 posts) -

I'm planning to watch... 

#21 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Man I hope I get back in time for this.

#22 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

Kishan.477

#23 Posted by numberThirtyOne (88 posts) -

ThirtyOne.858

#24 Posted by Lotus (214 posts) -

hoping for an awesome waiting tune :P

#25 Posted by Zabant (1277 posts) -

HUK OH SHIT!

#26 Posted by MauveForest (590 posts) -

mauveforest 990 Thanks giantbomb for everything you do, I am really looking forward to this TNT

#27 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

Tahnit 715

#28 Posted by Munkatten (34 posts) -

D: Stupid timezones, I have to sleep :c. Some day Giantbomb, someday I'll join in on the fun.

#29 Posted by ubertako@gmail.com (3 posts) -

Ubertako 960

#30 Posted by Advertisement (318 posts) -

Axis 144

#31 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (331 posts) -

No Civ V, that's a bummer dude.  Not really interested in seeing more Starcraft to be quite honest.

#32 Posted by ReLoaDeD (46 posts) -

calyx 831

#33 Posted by CuriousGrunt (1 posts) -

Zaran 834

#34 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

I'm only Bronze 1v1 so I'd be wasting everyone's time. 

PLEASE be recording that Huk show match though! Shame it's not MLG vs GB though!!

#35 Posted by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -

Wunder 528

#36 Posted by canucks13 (11 posts) -

Huk and Machine! Niiiiice! Huk is gonna take this, Psylence 773

#37 Posted by junkipenguin (9 posts) -

Havok 300

#38 Posted by ShadowMarth (65 posts) -

SecurityRake 857 

Sounds fun

#39 Posted by bigscottie (27 posts) -

Deceitfulcak

#40 Posted by DG_Nick (7 posts) -

Aratic 116

#41 Posted by Daveyo520 (7138 posts) -

Six 967

#42 Posted by Brass (7 posts) -

Brass 837
#43 Posted by ATTILAtheFUN (48 posts) -

ATTILAtheFUN.500

#44 Posted by august (3873 posts) -

GLHB

#45 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Harris 788 

Looking forward to it!

#46 Posted by defenestr8ed (36 posts) -

Brad and Norm better jump in after the exhibition match!  GB vs. TL, some sort of split  Brad/HuK vs. Machine/Norm.  I don't care.  Make is so.  There must be murderation.

#47 Posted by AmishTechSupport (39 posts) -

Thisisjimmy 740

#48 Posted by RustyScrew (71 posts) -

wojtek 909

#49 Posted by DeeGee (2150 posts) -

I was looking forward to seeing you all playing Civ 5, but I guess Starcraft II will do =P

#50 Posted by DeeGee (2150 posts) -

I was looking forward to seeing you all playing Civ 5, but I guess Starcraft II will do =P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.