Tips to playing Protoss.

#1 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

I bought SC2 a few days ago, and have been maining terran. But I am really intrigued by protoss. But don't feel like going in and instantly getting raped. Anyone have some pro tips? Thanks.

#2 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

Play against AI until you feel comfortable with the Protoss basics. Then get out there and play, the best way to learn is to play against human players and learn from them.

Watch your own replays to see where you went wrong, they went right, or why you won. It's a great tool!

#3 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Chrono boost!

#4 Posted by codejunkie83 (12 posts) -

I definitely agree with the above posts. Chrono Boost + research = win. Well, Chrono Boost + anything boostable = win. Definitely helps get those drones out quick in the beginning. But yeah, I had trouble deciding on a race. I've been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials (Force Strategy is a good one, as they have quite a few Protoss tutorials) and played a ton of games against the AI. Onc I was winning fairly consistently there, I went in to playing against humans....and got raped. After watching some of my replays, I have been modifying my strategies. I actually got the achievement for 3 in a row wins last night, so I feel that I am improving. Just get out there, play, and have fun with it. Remember it's just a agme. If you get frustrated, just walk away for a little while, play SP, or get Borderlands on Steam and shoot shit :)

#5 Edited by Donos (1193 posts) -

Again, Chronoboost ALL THE DAMN TIME. If you're just starting out, I'd say don't even try to save it up, just burn chronoboost at every opportunity. The other thing I'd say is in general try not to get too too reliant on stalkers. I know it's easy and feels safe to just mass them, but I'd advise against. In a straight fight, I don't think they're as tough as they look.

#6 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

I've actually had success from throwing down a pylon on the corner of the enemy base. If they're dumb, they won't find it and you can warp guys in. Fun stuff.

#7 Posted by codejunkie83 (12 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" I've actually had success from throwing down a pylon on the corner of the enemy base. If they're dumb, they won't find it and you can warp guys in. Fun stuff. "  

The proxy pylon warp is tons of fun, if you can get it past them. In most lower leagues, the player will not fully scout their own base, allowing the possibility of doing this. Definitely worth a shot for an early win.
#8 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -

Warpgate is the Toss money ability.  The moment you get a Cyber core out, you want to start reasarching it. 

Gateway units are good for the entire game, and warpgate cuts down the time by 10 seconds.  Also, when you push, you throw down a pylon near his base for instant reinforcements.  

Other basic tips: 

Get a stalker out fast against Terran.  Reapers hard counter Zealots.  It doesn't matter how many you have, you will be unable to kill them. 

Learn how to use your casters.  Play the second Toss challenge (The one that gives you control of nothing but sentries and Templar.)   They are your KEYS to victory.  Force field is especially needed for the early game.  Storm is awesome too.  Just...  learn to use them both.

#9 Posted by Flooko (45 posts) -

you just gotta 4 gate your way to victory. it works in every match you the only problem is if it doesn't work your screwed.

the best part about the 4 gate is that it'll work in every single match up :P and it makes ppl leave the game without GGing (cause its an easy effective strat) 
Hell ppl get to diamond with just the 4 gate.

#10 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -
@Flooko said:
" you just gotta 4 gate your way to victory. it works in every match you the only problem is if it doesn't work your screwed. the best part about the 4 gate is that it'll work in every single match up :P and it makes ppl leave the game without GGing (cause its an easy effective strat) Hell ppl get to diamond with just the 4 gate. "
Eh.  

Terran can use 3-4 rax with Marauders to defend a ramp.  And Toss can FF to split off your troops.
#11 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (230 posts) -

pylon Venn diagram 

#12 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@Flooko:   4 gate isn't an all-in strategy.  It's pretty easy to transition from it into an expansion provided you don't lose your army while dealing zero damage.
#13 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -

It's all in in SOME variations, and if you're not that good, it's easier to win the game early then try and move into the mid game. 

That said, yes, the 4 gate is practialy the toss standard opening, along with 3 gate robo.

#14 Edited by Flooko (45 posts) -
@SamDrugbringer said:
" @Flooko said:
" you just gotta 4 gate your way to victory. it works in every match you the only problem is if it doesn't work your screwed. the best part about the 4 gate is that it'll work in every single match up :P and it makes ppl leave the game without GGing (cause its an easy effective strat) Hell ppl get to diamond with just the 4 gate. "
Eh.   Terran can use 3-4 rax with Marauders to defend a ramp.  And Toss can FF to split off your troops. "

@SamDrugbringer:  thats why for a good 4 gate you have to make sure they cant scout it .
which means A: not letting them scout up your ramp and B: hiding your buildings so there hard to scan.
But you are right in the fact that 4gate is weakest against terran but it still can work
#15 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -

Eh. 

See, I used to be a 4 gater, like you, but as I played more and more games, I noticed it gets countered more and more often. 

Marauders can stop it.  Toss can FF it, and once they get an Immortal out, your Stalkers are useless (And you can't attack up a ramp with Zealots.) 

It's a good strat, but I think there are better ones out there, like 3 gate Robo, fast obs, into Collsi, but it requires more long term planning.

#16 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -
@dantheman1515: 

Sentries are a must.  They are not optional. This is a very simple tip, but so many people forget to bring enough.

Templar can be delayed, but will also eventually become a necessity.
#17 Posted by Flooko (45 posts) -
@SamDrugbringer said:
" Eh.  See, I used to be a 4 gater, like you, but as I played more and more games, I noticed it gets countered more and more often.  Marauders can stop it.  Toss can FF it, and once they get an Immortal out, your Stalkers are useless (And you can't attack up a ramp with Zealots.)  It's a good strat, but I think there are better ones out there, like 3 gate Robo, fast obs, into Collsi, but it requires more long term planning. "
i dont 4gate i just thought it would be an easy strat for the person to do
#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -
@SamDrugbringer said:
" @Flooko said:
Eh.   Terran can use 3-4 rax with Marauders to defend a ramp.  And Toss can FF to split off your troops. "
You pretty much have to be able to transition if it doesn't work because just gate units won't work in the late game.
#19 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @SamDrugbringer said:
" @Flooko said:
You pretty much have to be able to transition if it doesn't work because just gate units won't work in the late game. "
They WORK, but they need support for sure. 

Either way, I just find it's so easy to stop a (Casual) 4-gate, I just go for a 2-3 gate tech and try to get my HT/Colssi out sooner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.