Unorthodox tactics that you use to boost your win rate

#1 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -

- Play at lunchtime. Much more casual players in your rank in comparison with playing at night.

- If the adversary talk strange things to distract you, get even weirder, like talking that you want make sweet love with him after the match. It messes with people.

- People judge others by your face value. The same thing applies to Starcraft. I changed my Tassadar picture, which took me a thousand victories to unlock, for the Jim Raynor picture, which is awarded for finishing the solo campaign. Now the adversary look at Raynor portrait and play with less attention.

#2 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

What league are you?

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Yeah, that sounds like some Wood League kinda stuff.

Don't know if it's unorthodox, but I've been having a lot of recent success doing 2 base roach all-ins (or timings, whatever it's called) versus Protoss. They never scout to see if I've actually taken a 3rd base after a FFE and I guess they always expect that, like a typical Zerg, I'm going to go for a macro play. Then they get crushed by a bunch of roaches and lings when they only have one cannon to defend and no army.

#4 Posted by Rayeth (1071 posts) -

I try tactics like Cannon rushing like a BAUS.

Actually that isn't really an un-orthodox tatctic, but hey.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I stopped playing after I won a match. I win at Starcraft 2.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@MikkaQ: Stop at your highest point, you've got it down.
#7 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

Yeah, I really don't understand the whole talking to your opponent thing. I pretty much just act like they are not even real. I don't want to talk to you, I just want to play a game against you. I don't mind a GLHF, but I've had people say hi and random shit that's just stupid. Whenever that happens I usually expect cheese.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MikkaQ: Stop at your highest point, you've got it down.

I did the same thing in Vegas. I'm on a 200% winning streak!

#9 Posted by csl316 (9485 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

That's what I did in Modern Warfare 2. 1-0 is still undefeated!

#10 Posted by Irvandus (2890 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Same I got in two good victories in Bronze and haven't touched multiplayer since.

#11 Edited by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, that sounds like some Wood League kinda stuff.

Don't know if it's unorthodox, but I've been having a lot of recent success doing 2 base roach all-ins (or timings, whatever it's called) versus Protoss. They never scout to see if I've actually taken a 3rd base after a FFE and I guess they always expect that, like a typical Zerg, I'm going to go for a macro play. Then they get crushed by a bunch of roaches and lings when they only have one cannon to defend and no army.

I like to do something similar, as protoss, except I'll throw down a total of five gates and cancel the expansion after they see the wall down there or the nexus. If i can get a good forward pylon up without them scouting it's basically an instant win especially if they took the third.

Edit: This is against zerg by the way and I know I didn't come up with the 5-gate expo cancel but it works really well with the current metagame.

#12 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -
@Irvandus said:

@MikkaQ said:

Same I got in two good victories in Bronze and haven't touched multiplayer since.

I thought I'm the only one :D
#13 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

I used to void ray rush back when the game just came out. Worked most of the time but I felt dirty for doing it.

#14 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -
@CaLe said:

I used to void ray rush back when the game just came out. Worked most of the time but I felt dirty for doing it.

This worked only in bronze, only VS Zerg for me. There's no way in hell to win against a mildly advanced Terran with voids. It's not that dirty, but you can beat IdrA with it.

I like researching nukes. They're usually not very effective for killing armies or structures but they do freak the opponent out. Well sometimes they pull nice worker/supply kills.
#15 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

This worked only in bronze, only VS Zerg for me. There's no way in hell to win against a mildly advanced Terran with voids.

Try telling that to SlayerS_Genius

#16 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

This worked only in bronze, only VS Zerg for me. There's no way in hell to win against a mildly advanced Terran with voids. It's not that dirty, but you can beat IdrA with it. I like researching nukes. They're usually not very effective for killing armies or structures but they do freak the opponent out. Well sometimes they pull nice worker/supply kills.

Void ray all in is pretty strong against Terran, and Idra's pretty damn good lol.

#17 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -
@haffy said:

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

This worked only in bronze, only VS Zerg for me. There's no way in hell to win against a mildly advanced Terran with voids. It's not that dirty, but you can beat IdrA with it. I like researching nukes. They're usually not very effective for killing armies or structures but they do freak the opponent out. Well sometimes they pull nice worker/supply kills.

Void ray all in is pretty strong against Terran, and Idra's pretty damn good lol.

Yeah, if they go only mech, it is strong, otherwise they won't quite work against stim marines for example. And I was reffering to one of the most famous IdrA matches where he gg-ed at the 9th minute as soon as he saw the enemy's void.
#18 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

- Play at lunchtime. Much more casual players in your rank in comparison with playing at night.

In what universe is that even remotely true? If you sign into Battlenet during lunchtime, you're not playing against people who are on their lunch break from school/work, you're playing unemployed people/university students with few classes that semester.

#19 Edited by baldgye (757 posts) -

@antikorper said:

@haffy said:

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

Yeah, if they go only mech, it is strong, otherwise they won't quite work against stim marines for example. And I was reffering to one of the most famous IdrA matches where he gg-ed at the 9th minute as soon as he saw the enemy's void.

wait... the most famous IdrA game with void rays (where he lost) was against HuK... and his VR's wern't even real...

and a VR rush is strong against marines becasue when one is charged up, it can kill marines almost instantally... for real have you even seen a VR rush done properly?

I honestly think VR rushes are weakest against Z becasue Z has pretty good AA really quickly... plus with proper overlord scouting they will also see it pretty quickly...

#20 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@antikorper said:

@haffy said:

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

wait... the most famous IdrA game with void rays (where he lost) was against HuK... and his VR's wern't even real...

and a VR rush is strong against marines becasue when one is charged up, it can kill marines almost instantally... for real have you even seen a VR rush done properly?

I honestly think VR rushes are weakest against Z becasue Z has pretty good AA really quickly... plus with proper overlord scouting they will also see it pretty quickly...

I remember that game. I freakin lost it, what a crazy win. Is it just me or did that seem to be sorta a turning point with him, I could be wrong but he seemed to early quit less after that.

#21 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@baldgye said:

@antikorper said:

@haffy said:

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

I remember that game. I freakin lost it, what a crazy win. Is it just me or did that seem to be sorta a turning point with him, I could be wrong but he seemed to early quit less after that.

IdrA did that before then too as far as I can remember.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@baldgye: Yeah that's what I mean, the dude would get annoyed and just leave, but it seems the last little while he's been doing less of that.

#23 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@baldgye: Yeah that's what I mean, the dude would get annoyed and just leave, but it seems the last little while he's been doing less of that.

I think since Stephano has been dominating the Zerg scene outside of Korea he's stopped crying about balance and started playing becasue he was being humbled by a guy who made a 'broken match-up' look broken in a whole new way.

#24 Posted by Entus (254 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@baldgye said:

@antikorper said:

@haffy said:

@antikorper said:

@CaLe said:

He also stopped winning after that.

#25 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I think since Stephano has been dominating the Zerg scene outside of Korea he's stopped crying about balance and started playing becasue he was being humbled by a guy who made a 'broken match-up' look broken in a whole new way.

Haha yeah. It was almost impressive how long he stuck with the "Zerg sucks" routine.

#26 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@baldgye said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Haha yeah. It was almost impressive how long he stuck with the "Zerg sucks" routine.

only problem I had with the way he did that (it's stopped now) was that every zerg on ladder (regardless of skill) would echo IdrA's complaits... I just don't think he's benefited the scene at all.... but we are a bit off topic now lol

#27 Posted by Tyashki (214 posts) -

I think you missed a golden opportunity in not calling this thread "Special Tactics."

#28 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

I'm disappointed that most of this thread became a discussion about IdrA, instead of mocking the stupid ideas presented in the original post. Seriously, they aren't "unorthodox tactics" so much as they're "ways to feebly attempt to play weaker opponents/make opponents underestimate you, because you're not actually very good at the game".

#29 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

I'm disappointed that most of this thread became a discussion about IdrA, instead of mocking the stupid ideas presented in the original post. Seriously, they aren't "unorthodox tactics" so much as they're "ways to feebly attempt to play weaker opponents/make opponents underestimate you, because you're not actually very good at the game".

Thats exactally why the thread moved away from talking about the OP.... there isn't anything to disscuss... using time-frames as a measure is meaningless given that anyone from around the world can have an NA/EU/SEA account.

But if you think there is something to talk about, please go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.