"ur a fag"

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

What ever happened to losing with dignity?   And why am I the fag?  My 1v1 record is 16-17, I'm no expert, but I never start name calling when I lose.  Sure I get pissed off, but I type a "gg" and leave.  You are the one that built a 6 pool.  You are the one that rushed me with zerglings and I had to fight it off with my SCVs.

But I'm the fag because I did MMM and tanks while you were sitting on a stock pile of like 80 hydralisks trying to do a nydus worm.

With this same topic, I've noticed that over my 30 some 1v1s, the people that reply to my "gl hf" are generally the nicer people that talk to you even when you are winning.

#2 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

Just more stupid people on the internet, don't worry about it.

#3 Posted by Dipstick (547 posts) -

Played a 1v1 yesterday,said my usual GL HF but the guy didn't respond. For some reason that really struck a chord with me. Ending up beating him with my 20 reaper strat,he just left no GG or anything.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21470 posts) -

Ah well. We're all fags according to the pre-teen community anyway.

#5 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Look, there's very little doubt that Starcraft 2 is gonna be bringing in the WoW crowd.  There's probably lots of people that don't even know what GL HF means.

#6 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Some people are just born sore losers, that can't take defeat gracefully.

#7 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -

I never respond to the GLHF, don't really know why. But if I'm beat, I will always call GG.

#8 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

WAAAAAH someone trash talked you online. Get over it. 

@Diamond:
 Whats wrong with the WoW crowd? Most guilds out their are very welcoming and filled with nice people.

#9 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Feanor:  And the WoW crowd has millions of jerks, casual gamers, and kids too.  Every game community has some nice people...
#10 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

Ok, I have to ask, what the hell does GL HF mean? 

#11 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Kazona said:

" Ok, I have to ask, what the hell does GL HF mean?  "

Good luck, have fun. 

EDIT:  
#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Glad someone translated the "ur a fag" part. 
I had no idea what Ur meant. 
Well ok that's not true, where I live "Ur" means "Watch".. as in the one you use to tell time.  

But hey, congrats on being trash talked by some 10 year old kid.  
I've also been called a bunch of things online, especially "noob" and "fag" ..  
"noob" I find funny though and it mostly happens in FPS' like TF2 or L4D, etc etc. 

I really like that I'm the noob when it's the kid who is whining's head splattered all over a wall from my bullet-to-his-face shot.  

#13 Edited by Semition (731 posts) -

The community has generally been pretty nice so far. But of course you'll get an idiot here and there. Same thing will happen in every game. 

#14 Edited by BadSniper52 (607 posts) -
@Kazona said:

Good Luck Have Fun
EDIT: Sorry someone answer it for you
#15 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

Go play some xbox live

#16 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

I guess I've gotten lucky so far, I think the most insulting thing I've gotten is no gg when I win. =P But I will say there have been a couple of guys that I played that were good sports about losing (joking and chatting as I destroy their base). That being said when I lose I wil  just say gg and surrender. 

Also I kind of feel like the "gl hf" thing is weird because it doesn't really mean anything, it's just a weird greeting. I will only say it if my opponent says it first.

#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Dipstick said:
" Played a 1v1 yesterday,said my usual GL HF but the guy didn't respond. For some reason that really struck a chord with me. Ending up beating him with my 20 reaper strat,he just left no GG or anything. "
You really take "GL HF" that seriously? I'm not really into Starcraft but that sounds stupid to me. If people just want to come in and play without having to interact with their opponent, that's their choice. They shouldn't be looked down on for choosing not to fake some kind of faux sportsmanship tradition.
#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I don't respond to glhf most the time too in league games, my hands are already moving and the first 5 minutes are hella important.   I know it's wrong, but yeah...x.x. 

I do gg out like a good kid though, if things look bad.

#19 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" I don't respond to glhf most the time too in league games, my hands are already moving and the first 5 minutes are hella important.   I know it's wrong, but yeah...x.x.  I do gg out like a good kid though, if things look bad. "

I don't even think about doing GG I just do it. 
Even when it wasn't a good game. 

Only time I really use GG and GL HF, and mean it, are in real tournaments where there's money on the line.  
Playing some random jobber for nothing is just something I do without caring about the other player
#20 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@Diamond: And every community has casual players, kids and jerks. So I don't see why you would single WoW out. Also whats wrong with casual gamers? Probably 90% of the people on Giant Bomb are casuals who think they are hardcore.
#21 Edited by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

" Bro story cool.

"
 ur a fag

Edit: Just kidding by the way.

@ OP: You're better off ignoring those kind of people cause at the end of the day you'll be the guy who won and they are the one's who can't seem to accept their defeat.
#22 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov said:
" I guess I've gotten lucky so far, I think the most insulting thing I've gotten is no gg when I win. =P But I will say there have been a couple of guys that I played that were good sports about losing (joking and chatting as I destroy their base). That being said when I lose I wil  just say gg and surrender.  Also I kind of feel like the "gl hf" thing is weird because it doesn't really mean anything, it's just a weird greeting. I will only say it if my opponent says it first. "
I just use it as a "hey dude whats up" kind of greeting.  It's like the team captains shaking hands before a football game, IMO.

But I did just watch the replay, that guy had to be pissed.  Every time he tried to expand, I would happen to come across it some how or another and destroy it with my Vikings.  By the end of the game when i was doing my drop, he finally managed to get an expansion, but he was down to like 50 minerals because he built some defenses to protect it.

Vikings verse Zerg that are massing ground units is awesome.  I was just cruising the map destroying overseers.
#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" @Diamond: And every community has casual players, kids and jerks. So I don't see why you would single WoW out. Also whats wrong with casual gamers? Probably 90% of the people on Giant Bomb are casuals who think they are hardcore. "
Haha, "Casuals" and "hardcore".
I'm sorry It just cracks me up everytime I hear that but that's mostly because I come from a background of gamers where all gamers are just that, Gamers. 
So the whole Casuals vs. Hardcore BS that so many teenagers has going on just to feel their tiny little E-peen grow a little bit but still be very tiny just seems silly to me :P 
Nothing personal it's just those words and their so called "meanings" :P
#24 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

" I don't respond to glhf most the time too in league games, my hands are already moving and the first 5 minutes are hella important.   I know it's wrong, but yeah...x.x.  I do gg out like a good kid though, if things look bad. "

I just type it really quick after setting my rally point and i make my first SCV.  It is faster to type those 4 letters than it takes to gather another 50 minerals.
#25 Posted by PATERSON (248 posts) -

I always say good luck before any game and that seems to set off a nice calm game.

#26 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Feanor said:
@Diamond: And every community has casual players, kids and jerks. So I don't see why you would single WoW out. Also whats wrong with casual gamers? Probably 90% of the people on Giant Bomb are casuals who think they are hardcore.
Because lots of WoW gamers are buying Starcraft 2 not knowing much about what Starcraft 2 actually is.  Those are the people that won't know what "GL HF" means.  Those are the people not used to losing a 1v1 RTS battle and will get upset about it and lash out.

I don't think anywhere near that number of Giant Bomb users are casual.  You have to be pretty close to hardcore to want to discuss gaming on a gaming forum in the first place.  There's nothing wrong with those people but they won't know how to act in a competitive RTS game.
#27 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

so much for the honor of starcraft

#28 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@ZeForgotten: I do agree with you to a point, but  just calling everyone gamers is just to general. People do throw around the whole casual and hardcore thing way to often, and often use casual as a way to make fun of someone. There shouldn't be a battle between the two, and one should not be threatened by the other. That's just juvenile. 
#29 Posted by Moridin (714 posts) -

I always use the customary "gl hf" when the game starts, and a "gg" when it's over. If someone trounces me completely (I'm not very good) or beats me in a creative way, I'll complement them. I guess I'm Mr. Internet Nice Guy. Haha.

#30 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -

If they rage just have a good laugh. Or troll them with "lol u mad" or something. You won, they lost, big deal, it's a video game.

#31 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@Diamond: So you are mad that their are new players playing Starcraft? Thats a little selfish of you, everyone has to start somewhere. And its not like the original Starcraft, or Warcraft 3 3 were filled with honorable players. Just try being new in a Dota game, or in any of the SC custom games. It does not help things when you try to act elitist for playing a video game. The game is also new, less than a week old. Give people a chance to learn how to act, instead of condemning them.  

Also I wouldn't be blaming WoW, I'd be blaming the widespread mainstream coverage of Starcraft. How many people from GB alone got the game because they saw Brad playing it. If anything WoW is filled with Starcraft and Warcraft players.

And your views on casual vs hardcore gaming are a little dated. If this was the year 2000, and people were posting and talking about video games maybe they would be a little hardcore. But not in 2010, everyone has a PC, and everyone uses it to talk online. Just playing and talking about video games does not make you "hardcore". I don't even like to use those terms, I just hate it when people trow them around to make themselves feel better about themselves.
#32 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Kazona said:

Good luck, have fun. 

EDIT:  
"
Bahahaha.

If I lost or I know I'm going to lose, I just leave. There is no need to vent rage over the internet.
#33 Posted by MB (12199 posts) -

My buddy and I used to get messages like this all the time when playing Chromehounds...unless our opponents were Japanese. In that case, if we got any messages at all after completely destroying them, it was always complimentary, "GG", or something like that. 

Anyway, like others have said, welcome to the Internet, just be thankful you're not playing Starcraft 2 on your Xbox 360, it would be way worse.

#34 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -
@Cataphract1014 said:
" What ever happened to losing with dignity?   And why am I the fag?  My 1v1 record is 16-17, I'm no expert, but I never start name calling when I lose.  Sure I get pissed off, but I type a "gg" and leave.  You are the one that built a 6 pool.  You are the one that rushed me with zerglings and I had to fight it off with my SCVs.  But I'm the fag because I did MMM and tanks while you were sitting on a stock pile of like 80 hydralisks trying to do a nydus worm.  With this same topic, I've noticed that over my 30 some 1v1s, the people that reply to my "gl hf" are generally the nicer people that talk to you even when you are winning. "
lotsa people play starcraft so youll get the retards inevitably. 

losta azns play it too so yeah. 
#35 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Feanor:  Did you just manage to not read a single word I said?  Where did I say I was mad?  WoW was far too popular to be made of Starcraft and Warcraft players...  You can feel how you want about those terms but there are many WoW players who ONLY play WoW, and that's about as good of a definition of a casual gamer as any.

@MB said:
Anyway, like others have said, welcome to the Internet, just be thankful you're not playing Starcraft 2 on your Xbox 360, it would be way worse.
And why would that be?
#36 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Never heard 'GL HF' before this thread.  Was always just 'gg' back in my day, when all this was just fields.

#37 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I never talk in all chat.

#38 Posted by Supernaut (11 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

EDIT:  
"
To me this kind of stuff is hilarious. Why would someone ever need to get this mad about losing? It is absurd
#39 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I never talk in all chat. "
I don't normally do it either, but with the lack of chat channels, and with custom games with 8 players...the ALL chat becomes the chatroom.  >.> 

Play Nexus Wars and guys just talk and build, just a nice relaxing game.  >.>
#40 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@Diamond: Its not like everyone who played WoW ran out and bought Starcraft. The problem probably lies with kiddies who are not use to PC gaming, getting the game and playing it. It was over hyped and advertised all over the place. So communities like CoD are probably poisoning SC2, not WoW. Comparatively WoW has less ragers than most games.  And I only see this being a problem in lower brackets. Most good veteran players are in the Gold bracket anyways. And if you are stuck playing mouth breathing noobs in the other brackets, you'd be dumb not to expect someone calling you a fag in chat.
#41 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Never heard 'GL HF' before this thread.  Was always just 'gg' back in my day, when all this was just fields. "
Now that is "back then". 
So far back that there were only fields and not even a single tree! 
Though GL HF has been used for a while and "Good Game" doesn't sound so good when the game hasn't started yet. 
At least not to me
#42 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Most of the players I have encountered have been fairly polite, wishing good luck and good game at the end. However, when I played a friend of mine I said "gg" out of habit and he told me to go fuck myself. I just began to laugh.

#43 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

#44 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" Most of the players I have encountered have been fairly polite, wishing good luck and good game at the end. However, when I played a friend of mine I said "gg" out of habit and he told me to go fuck myself. I just began to laugh. "
How is he still your friend then? O_o
#45 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

No offense but saying this is a Starcraft II issue is kind of dumb.

I've been calling kids fags to their face since arcades in the 90s

#46 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Feanor:  I just think the WoW community is a much closer fit to SC2 than the console COD community.  They're already gaming on PC and they love another Blizzard product they're currently playing.  I agree there are everyday RTS playing jerks like in any community, but it's the people who don't normally play 1v1 games that don't know "GL HF".
#47 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Kazona said:

Good luck, have fun. 

EDIT:  
"
Hey, sorry what I said earlier on Starcraft II. I got pissed off because there's this girl at school that won't date me because she's in the 8th grade and I'm in the 6th grade.
#48 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

You know what a big issue is in SC2 about the community and douche bags? 

Blizzard is apparently suspending users who TK/Backstab team mates.  It's a apparently really strong ban in League games if you can prove it, and even if you do it in customs.  That's messed up, sure TKing in Ranked is a stupid thing to do...but when I'm with friends in customs, we TK each other all the time because it's a custom game and we know each other in person. 

Plus, I think it just gets worse with age.  The older users won't rage quit, and the Halo Generation tends to go all out nuker.  Halo Generation being kids who started to game in the 2000s, and a lot of them more than likely play WoW...and WoW users are flocking to SC2...so yeah.  x.x

#49 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
@Br3adfan said:
Most of the players I have encountered have been fairly polite, wishing good luck and good game at the end. However, when I played a friend of mine I said "gg" out of habit and he told me to go fuck myself. I just began to laugh. 
How is he still your friend then? O_o 
He's not usually like that, he just gets really mad when he loses at a game, it's funny actually.
#50 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Diamond said:

" @Feanor:  I just think the WoW community is a much closer fit to SC2 than the console COD community.  They're already gaming on PC and they love another Blizzard product they're currently playing.  I agree there are everyday RTS playing jerks like in any community, but it's the people who don't normally play 1v1 games that don't know "GL HF". "

And here's some proof to that. 

http://forums.bloodcraft.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8305     

What's sad about that is the guy that's doing all the harassment is my guild leader.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.