Video Blog: Playing Through StarCraft II

#101 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

Brad looks hella tired, and looks like he hasn't shaved either...lol

#102 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@elfbot said:
"

Without any zerg or protoss single player missions does sc2 do anything to teach new players how they work and what their units are?

"
I don't think so. But it's not an issue since the singleplayer campaign really has no bearing on the multiplayer other than unit selection and UI navigation.
#103 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Awesome update video. 
Keep them coming, and convince some of the other guys that are incompetent at RTS games like I am to create a similar video of their experiences--maybe a compilation of anyone in the office who have been playing? I'm planning on waiting on the purchase for a little while because I don't really have the spare time to invest, but I'm really interested to hear about everyone's experiences while the excitement is high and people still care on a mainstream level.

Great feature idea. Kudos to whoever came up with it!

#104 Posted by CashBailey (800 posts) -

I've never played any of this stuff.

I wonder if I'd be into it.

#105 Posted by taco484 (120 posts) -

Brad, whats the best way to learn how to play competitively?  I always enjoy a good RTS, but Im awful at them, and I dont feel like I ever improve.  Is there a good tutorial system?

#106 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Brad I don't know how far you are. But how do you feel about Terrible Terrible Damage?

#107 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Keep making video blogs.

#108 Posted by JeffGerstFan (68 posts) -

FOLLOWUP VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!! I watch things like this when I am at work and can't be playing Starcraft 2. Also, where did the GiantBomb live Starcraft footage go?!?!? Why didn't that stay up on the site? I looked for it on Justin TV to no avail. BAH!!!!

#109 Posted by SirThirdFilms (166 posts) -

Man...Shoemaker is a good lookin' cat

#110 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@JeffGerstFan said:
" FOLLOWUP VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!! I watch things like this when I am at work and can't be playing Starcraft 2. Also, where did the GiantBomb live Starcraft footage go?!?!? Why didn't that stay up on the site? I looked for it on Justin TV to no avail. BAH!!!! "
got lost amongst the shovelware on the so-called 'news section' of this site
#111 Edited by ZmillA (2261 posts) -

lmao I forgot Brad was a regular adult human.

On another note, I kinda wanna get starcraft 2 now

#112 Posted by Ronald (1342 posts) -

Very cool hearing about the game in a kind of first impressions style video blog. I like the video blog and would welcome more.

#113 Posted by MisterMollusk (400 posts) -

I believe Brad should do this for all his reviews.

#114 Posted by Phoenix87 (472 posts) -

Would love to see a follow up video, or perhaps series of videos.

#115 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Brad solo!?!? Unthinkable! (Unthinkably awesome)

#116 Posted by ashbash (369 posts) -

I had NEVER played an RTS before (played one or two demos of Xbox RTS games) but since I got a new PC last month and because of the excitement of this game I bought SC2. 

Really enjoying it so far but I am playing on casual and never played MP. 

Thinking about changing up to normal. Although I always have too many resources and I'm always really slow. I also seem to be only staying near one place for my base and etc. I would like to know how to play better and if there's any tips, videos or websites with articles on how to properly play I would be grateful. I've never played a game like it and I am very very impressed.

#117 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -
@taco484:  I'm not brad, but having owned the game since about 6 hours before release and finished the campaign i think i might be eligible to answer the question: The game has multiple features to train people.

The most natural, but at the same time also the most time consuming and terran-favouring way would be: campaign; challenge missions; online or offline vs. computer matches with your favorite faction, taking special care to use majorly hotkeys and act very fast. Download and watch replays of pro's ( make sure you DL replays dates to the 27th and later, as beta replays won't load ). Preferably also watch some commentated / casted matches, play another match vs. the computer and then you should be good to go to start fighting other guys. You might also want to go 2v2 or 3v3 at first. Having a team mates might help you have a fun time as they can potentially compensate for your lesser skill.

You could also skip the campaign, which might make it easier to get accustomed to a different race than the terrans.

So yes ! The game has a great system to help new players out - add a bit of research by yourself and you will improve !
#118 Posted by DrWhat (279 posts) -

Good stuff! Video log is a pretty cool idea. I'm voting for followups.

I crashed out of my first placement match. :( I think I'm going to stick with the campaign for a while myself. It's really really really well done.

#119 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

Holy crap! brad talking for almost 10 minutes!! this must be a once in a lifetime event!

#120 Posted by bennym6 (415 posts) -

is this game worth upgrading your pc for
#121 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -
@ashbash159 said:

" I had NEVER played an RTS before (played one or two demos of Xbox RTS games) but since I got a new PC last month and because of the excitement of this game I bought SC2.  Really enjoying it so far but I am playing on casual and never played MP.  Thinking about changing up to normal. Although I always have too many resources and I'm always really slow. I also seem to be only staying near one place for my base and etc. I would like to know how to play better and if there's any tips, videos or websites with articles on how to properly play I would be grateful. I've never played a game like it and I am very very impressed. "

Teamliquid's all you need.
#122 Posted by akeripper (16 posts) -
@stinky: god mode is a good way to play the campain
#123 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
@elfbot: It does have a challenge mode which teaches you a lot, they three tiers of challenges and three challenges in each, being separated into each race
#124 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -

I  have a question.  

I haven't played computer games since I quit WoW like 4 years ago.  As you could guess my comp now is now out of date and can't run this efficiently.  The problem is I'm in college and very low on funds.  My question is will this be a game that will still be worth playing in like 3 years once I can afford to replace the parts I need?  Or will most of the players have moved on? 

#125 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@ashbash159: EA relesed the first couple  of command and conquer games for free btw if you want to try some classics
#126 Posted by Ithryn (84 posts) -

Loved the vlog,keep them comming if you can.

Next time Rorcraft part 2. .......pls ?  :(

Curse you awesome blizzard games.

#127 Posted by TadThuggish (904 posts) -
@Wonksaggin said:
" I can't stand how often Brad says "umm..." and "like" in every video.  Please stop it. This is the only website I check for game info, simply because it's the best, and it really hurts the quality of the product you guys are putting out there. "
It's okay, baby, just let the tears come.
#128 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

FOLLOW UP!

#129 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

Poor Brad is working so hard.
#130 Posted by and333 (842 posts) -
@TadThuggish: 
Agreed I like the giantbomb guys cause they are people humans real men, They don't seem like corporate puppets who have talk radio experience and sound forced and unnatrually fake!
#131 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Follow up please.

#132 Edited by Franstone (1093 posts) -

Brad buddy... You look tired my friend...   
Take a nap! 

I'm stuck on the train mission!! Help!! 

Amazingly enough that mission is mentioned in this vid-doc a la Avatar...  
Good job! 
And Help!  ; )

#133 Posted by Two (54 posts) -

I loved Jeff's points videos, and am just as thrilled to see a Brad vblog. The personalities of Giantbomb is why I love the site so much, so more of this would be... awesome.

I have no real questions... I was going to ask how well does Starcraft 2 sclae on older PC's (specifically ones with shitty video cards like the Radeon X600) but I've decided to just sell my Wii to upgrade my video card (and power supply) anyway. Gotta play this.

#134 Posted by MichaelBach (876 posts) -

Installing SC2 right now, only 25 USD here in Mexico!!

#135 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

You could have called it a video review instead of a blog and given it 5/5 and it would have been done!

#136 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Damn it. Can we get another Giant Bomb: Cribs edition, again?

#137 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

That felt personal...

#138 Posted by ZagZagovich (755 posts) -

Weird. I thought Warcraft 3 had a hell of a great storyline and I wouldn't mind it having a couple more addons to continue that story.

#139 Posted by Reale (261 posts) -

I have a question, is the single player compelling enough to justify the purchase? i know what starcraft is like online and i doubt i will be going anywhere near that! (also i want a reason to by the limited edition because i have a thing for art books)

#140 Posted by Marconi88 (97 posts) -

Hey Brad, 
Have you tried running Starcraft 2 on OSX? If so are there any performance issues or is it a smooth experience? 

Also if you have the time a follow up would be great. 

#141 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

can we has review?

#142 Posted by Jon93 (156 posts) -

Make more of these. 

At first I was like "VLOGS ARE STUPID GOD DAMN IT BRAD" 

but this was actually well done and informative, I LIKE IT!

#143 Posted by DjRich (122 posts) -

Brad looks tiiired man. He is working hard. God I love Brad

#144 Posted by Dethfish (3629 posts) -

Omg. it's Brad's bedroom.

#145 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -

Nice update.  Have you been experiencing any serious bugs like what Brad Nicholson reported?

#146 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Question: I have Starcraft 1 one my PC that I got a few months ago and touched very briefly (my first Blizzard game incidentally). I was curious about the fiction and how it ties together. It seems like it has a rich lore that runs pretty deep. So, I was wondering if it was worth it to finish the original (along with Brood War), like I was planning to before picking up this game. How does the game address events of the the past game, and is the quality of the story even worth it?

Good feature though Brad. Surprisingly coherent doing a monologue like that. Pretty informative. Wouldn't mind seeing more of these, in general across the site too.

#147 Posted by MJHAYLETT (437 posts) -

Aww Brad did a Facepalm. Sorry you got booted and it cost you a match but I am sure you will fight them on the beaches, fight them in the streets (Sorry I have been playing IL-2 Sturmovik so I am all Winston Churchill'ed Up) and Never Surrender. :D

#148 Posted by Zelnox (383 posts) -

This is nice. ^_^

#149 Posted by Chris (120 posts) -

Hope you do more of these. So much more interesting and detailed than a traditional review.

#150 Posted by bobthecannibal (59 posts) -

Brad look tired. No more turkey sandwich.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.