Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

What is Starcraft's magic?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

So I've never played a Starcraft game before, Starcraft 2 will be my first (yes, I'm a Starcraft virgin, be gentle with my hotkeys) and I've heard for many years how amazingly wonderful Starcraft is. Many folks call it the best RTS game ever, and while I've never felt the need to go out and buy the original games (felt I was way to late to the party) it as always intrigued me. I've always wondered what the actual 'magic' is to the series, what makes it as hugely popular as it is? My impressions from the outside is a solidly built, well balanced real-time strategy game. Yet watching competitive battles within the game makes it sound like a complex science, which in itself reminds me of say Street Fighter competitively. It's odd, the online action of Starcraft 2 is why most people will buy that game yet it's this action and dedication that will probably result in me not touching the online multiplayer.  

So, what makes Starcraft magical and so special? 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

Voodoo.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

A few things. 

The first reason starcraft 1 was so extremely popular is how balanced it was. It's really, really balanced. If you lose in that game, it's your own fault. This is naturally nice for competitive people. It's also an achievement considering how drastically different the 3 races are. 

It was also popular because of the custom maps. Don't like competitive melee play? There's infinite custom games. The map editor is simply incredible, and people can easily make and you can easily play 34243242342 million different games. it originated tower defense (arguably). RPG's. I could literally spend all day talking about the awesome maps. 

So there's the major appeal to the competitive person and major appeal to the casual person. 

Also, if you're daunted by the 'hardcore pro-gamer sc2 players', you don't need to be. The league system is pretty decent, and if you're an 'average' player you will easily place in gold league where you can play a bit of competitive play without having to worry about being amazing or spending 12 hours a day practicing. 

Also, another reason starcraft is so good is because of the control. Units do what you say. which sounds like a simple enough thing, but trust me, going to other RTS games after playing Starcraft is painful.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kishan6

you wont get it until you've played around 100 hours of it and then try playing another big name rts

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sumbog

Jim Rayner

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By aleryn

Go play the game and find out for yourself if that "magic" is true for YOU or not.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adamsons

One of its drawing points is that the 3 races are different in playstyle / visually but a ton of effort is used to make them as balanced against each other as possible. 

I'm looking forward to the online play (I still haven't got a Beta Key >.>) but what i want even more nowadays is the modding potential.

I mean check out these that have been created in the beta   

Metal Slug   

Final Fantasy  

3rd person gameplay

Bunker Defense  

The kind i'm really looking forward to is a Contra remake though in vein of this.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8  Edited By MachoFantastico

Thanks for your opinions, of course I will play it for myself. Hope I'll still be blown over after all these years of expectation. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

...there is no magic in Starcraft.  It's skills...unless you could Psi, but that's physic energy and not magic.  >.>

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetos

The three races are so different yet the entire game is amazingly balanced.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mazik765

I have never been a big Starcraft fan (much more partial to Warcraft and Diablo) but it's easy to see why people like it. I will probably pick this game up just for the campaign, as sad as that sounds.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By thatfrood

Yeah, as others have already said, the "magic" comes from the fact that the three races are very different and each suits a different player, and yet the game is balanced enough that none of them is more powerful than the others.
    Additionally, the game universe was well realized and it was a great game in its own right.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest you start with SC1 and Broodwar. It's probably too late to do that if you're so adamant on starting SC2 on release day, since you'll miss out on the story first hand. It's severely dated visually but it's mechanics have stood the test of time really well. I have never played the multiplayer, and nor should I, the game and story itself is worthy of purchase. Besides, those you are going to play the multiplayer have years, YEARS of experience, not to mention those who got the beta.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By FateOfNever

And if you really want to play SC1 and Brood Wars, you can always try to pick up the Collector's Edition of SC2 - as one of its features is a 2gig USB flash drive with both SC1 and Broodwars on it.  Though the CE is 40$ more than the standard edition, so, if you're on the fence about whether or not you'll be big into the SC universe, it'd be a bit of a riskier buy.  

As for why SC is so good?  Mostly what everyone else has said already for multi-player; balanced and an amazing tool set for people to create custom content with, which is just astounding.  As far as the single player goes, Blizzard is consistently good with being able to tell a compelling, interesting story I think.  If you're not used to playing Blizzard games then some of the stuff they do in their stories can be downright shocking, if you're used to Blizzard games, there are some thing you learn to expect from the way their stories are bound to progress - even then, however, Blizzard is pretty good at capturing human emotion I think. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The magic? I have no idea. I understand why it is considered the gold standard for RTS games and can appreciate it from a distance, but it's the kind of game that is absolutely inaccessible to anyone who wasn't playing it when it came out on a multiplayer front, which is something that even die-hard fans will admit. Considering that Starcraft 2 looks to be building on many of the concepts found in the first game, I doubt it will be very different now either. 

As for the single player? Fuck RTS single player. Wars of attrition with the computer are the opposite of fun.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By gamefreak9

If games were sciences, Sc2 would be rocket science :P. 

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

i've always really enjoyed the game's story and all the lore associated with it.  plus the fact that it's so damn satisfying to win, as you feel like you've really accomplished something.

and the music rules!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By harris

I think there are three parts to the 'magic' of it. 

1. Balance. When you lose, you lost only because you did something wrong and your opponent did something right. There's no silly 'tiers' or advantages to blame your loss/win on.
    2. Variety. This is (if I remember correctly) really put SC ahead of other RTS games of it's time. There are three completely different races, and yet they are all perfectly balanced against each other.
    3. Depth. There is always something new to learn, something to improve on, something to strive for. Whether it's a new build, increasing your apm, or even just learning the hotkeys; there's never a point where you're just "maxed out" skill wise.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By galiant
    @mazik765 said:
    " I will probably pick this game up just for the campaign, as sad as that sounds. "
    I wouldn't say sad. The story in the first game was very interesting and well told, so there's lots of potential in this sequel even if you're not interested in the online competitive play. I'm proud to say I'm also getting it for the campaign =)
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By audiosnag

The story is one of the main draws for me. Blizzard always creates a really cool universe in whatever game you're playing an SC is no exception. Even their instruction manuals kick ass, there's pages of back story.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By csl316
    @audiosnag said:

" The story is one of the main draws for me. Blizzard always creates a really cool universe in whatever game you're playing an SC is no exception. Even their instruction manuals kick ass, there's pages of back story. "

That's why i would recommend getting the disc versions rather than just the collector's edition of SC 2.  The instruction manual details the history of every race and main character, which gives the story a lot more impact.  The novels are cool, too, with my personal favorite being Speed of Darkness (which gives you a new perspective on the marines in the game).  And it's a pretty complex game, so reading up on the units and buildings is a good way to develop strategies or figure out counters.

Of course, you can just cheat your way through the campaign (which can get rather challenging).  

power overwhelming
    radio free zerg
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm more into the competitive aspect but the single player looks like one of the most incredible single player RTS campaigns ever. And blizzard never fails in this regard. I wasn't all that into the multiplayer of Warcraft 3 but I think it probably had one of the best campaigns ever. I fully expect that Starcraft 2 will match it. 

And considering how long and indepth it is.. I wouldn't say that buying for the single player is a bad thing at all. Seriously, it's going to be incredible. 

But I'd also recommend checking out custom maps, they're seriously endlessly entertaining even if you aren't into competitive play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.