Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Which is better to upgrade (Protoss): Atck, Def, Shld?

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sreya92

Personally I'd think def but what about y'all?

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By zyte

Attack. 
    As Protoss, upgrading Attack is always the best, no matter what race your opponent play.
    It is especially important to upgrade Attack +1 quickly when facing Zerg. (Since Zealots will kill Zerglings in 2 hits, instead of 3 without the upgrade etc.)

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Joru

Attack is what people usually go for first, unless they are doing some interesting upgrade-centric tactic. Shield is something you very rarely see, usually only in long macro games.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H
    @Zyte said: 

Attack. As Protoss, upgrading Attack is always the best, no matter what race your opponent play.It is especially important to upgrade Attack +1 quickly when facing Zerg. (Since Zealots will kill Zerglings in 2 hits, instead of 3 without the upgrade etc.)

Not necessarily.  Armour is far more beneficial against Terran in the early stages than attack until the lategame when high tech, aoe units are out, hence why you see many pros having 1 attack/2-3 armour upgrades in the midgame before getting more attack upgrades and higher tech units.  Armour upgrades negate bio incredibly well, especially for zealots, which when combined with charge make them terrifying against marine/marauder compositions when trapped by forcefields  or confined spaces because the zealots take much longer to die and cause a significantly larger amount of damage.  The upgrade makes a much more noticeable difference against marines than marauders though since they rely on fast shots of small damage compared to the marauder's slower shot that inflicts more damage.

Against zerg, attack is more beneficial until the lategame, where you should optimally be getting armour upgrades anyway.  In the current trend for Protoss (IE: all of the stupid 2-base all-in crap with 5-7 gateways), attack upgrades are an integral part to the build working. 

Shield upgrades are useless, especially against ghost-using Terrans because if they EMP right you won't have shields anyway.  I only get shields once 3/3 is done and all other necessary tech is upgraded.
    zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zyte
    @Ben_H said:
    @Zyte said: 

Attack. As Protoss, upgrading Attack is always the best, no matter what race your opponent play.It is especially important to upgrade Attack +1 quickly when facing Zerg. (Since Zealots will kill Zerglings in 2 hits, instead of 3 without the upgrade etc.)

Not necessarily.  Armour is far more beneficial against Terran in the early stages than attack until the lategame when high tech, aoe units are out, hence why you see many pros having 1 attack/2-3 armour upgrades in the midgame before getting more attack upgrades and higher tech units.  Armour upgrades negate bio incredibly well, especially for zealots, which when combined with charge make them terrifying against marine/marauder compositions when trapped by forcefields  or confined spaces because the zealots take much longer to die and cause a significantly larger amount of damage.  
    Aha, interesting. Thanks for catching me up with that.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

You should upgrade attack first against a zerg, that way your zealots 2 hit zerglings. However, against a terran opponent it's better to upgrade defense since your zealots stop being the primary damage dealers and their main reason is to be a meatshield for your stalkers.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By raiz265

Armor vs Terran 
    Attack vs Zerg 

That's the general rule of thumb I'd say

Shield comes after 3/3 most of the time 
    I've seen some Protoss players go 1/1/1 upgrades though if they plan on going Archons lateron, but that's probably advanced 

Most badass way is going double forge and going attack and armor at the same time of course, but that's quite the investment in the early/midgame which makes you quite prone to timing attacks

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thule

It depends.

It's all dependant on which race you're facing and what kind of build you're trying to do. What raiz said is the general rule of thumb, because the armor upgrade versus Terran reduces marine damage by alot and the attack upgrade versus Zerg allows your zealots to kill zerglings in 2 hits rather than 3. However, it's not set in stone. If you've got a plan that allows you to use the other upgrade more effectively then there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

awesomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By awesomatic

My current upgrade scheme (however im only gold lvl):

1 Forge 2/0/0 vs Zerg (sentry expand/sentry fake expand)
    2 Forge 2/2/0 vs Terran (2-3 base timing push with chargelot/templars/archons)
    1 Forge 1/1/0 vs Protoss (Only after initial aggression e.g. 4gate/3gate blink/2gate immortals)

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By haffy

I'm pretty sure it's worth getting shield upgrades instead of armour if your concentrating on blink stalkers in a build. But I think attack still takes priority. 

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By wunder_

SHIELDDDD or Air weapons

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn

I only play P when randoming, and I'll usually go for attack first. Or...

@Wunder_ said:

SHIELDDDD or Air weapons

If I am massing...
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Aus_azn said:

@Wunder_

said:

SHIELDDDD or Air weapons

If I am massing...
    I lost my shit when he sang 'yesterday was Void Rays'.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By baldgye

how I roll

armour vs T
    attack vs Z
     and then vs P it depends how you're playing it, if you have alot of zelots, go for attack, if you have alot of stalkers probally best for armour

I becasue I watch how the pro's do it never bother with sheilds untill I've gotten 3/3 in armour and attack

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

@imsh_pl said:

You should upgrade attack first against a zerg, that way your zealots 2 hit zerglings. However, against a terran opponent it's better to upgrade defense since your zealots stop being the primary damage dealers and their main reason is to be a meatshield for your stalkers.

Yes, I figured this was the general consensus, too.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Pibo47
    @imsh_pl said:
    @Aus_azn said:

@Wunder_

said:

SHIELDDDD or Air weapons

If I am massing...
    I lost my shit when he sang 'yesterday was Void Rays'.
    Thats when i had to stop watching. I fucking lost it and fell outta my chair!
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

Armor vs Terran bio 
    Attack vs Terran Mech 
    Attack vs Zerg 
    Attack vs Protoss (even though finding time to fit these in is very hard) 

Shield can be quite good if you're archon heavy, but generally don't get it until 3/3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.