Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Why is Starcraft so special?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bulletstorm

When I look at Starcraft, all I see is another run-of-the-mill rts. Why is is so beloved? Why is Starcraft 2 such a big deal?  
    School me, is it the story? Is it the gameplay?  

In case this comes off as being trollish, it's not really supposed to be. As someone who keeps current with games and whatnot, I'm hearing a lot about Starcraft 2; but I don't know why its so important. Did Starcraft 1 set trends for rts games? Did it create the modern rts genre?   I have interest in playing Starcraft 2, but it looks like plenty of rts's I own, just in space.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Teran

Are you looking at Starcraft 1 in 2010, or in 1998 when it came out?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Really? Christ, I suspect you weren't born in the early 90s if you never took a real good glance at StarCraft. 

I'll leave it to others to say what makes SC so special. I know its special, I just don't know how to describe it to you.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Teran

Oh, and no, it's definitely not the story.  Not Starcraft 1 at least.  Starcraft 2 has started off quite well in that department though.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bulletstorm
    @ComradeKritstov: : 
    :3 sorry, guess I should look past the first 15 forum topics.... just finished reading that thread. Guess since I was off playing N64 games with my friends while everyone else was playing Starcraft; I'm missing out on the nostalgia-trip that's going on here. Everyone seems to be fixated on how good Staracraft's gameplay and balance is - so that's good; am I to assume that pretty much all of the RTS's I've played in my life are just trying to be Starcraft? 
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon
    @BulletStorm: Some where, others not so. Depends on what game :P 
    Overall, though, StarCraft was the best balanced RTS' out there, which is amazing considering how completely different all the races are.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Skytylz

It's a good RTS, but AOE>SC

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @BulletStorm said:
    Guess since I was off playing N64 games with my friends while everyone else was playing Starcraft; I'm missing out on the nostalgia-trip that's going on here. 
    Totally could have played StarCraft 64!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.