Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Will you be buying Starcraft 2?

• 92 results
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By shiftymagician

I'm getting it day one for two reasons - because I am a sucker for a good RTS game, and secondly because I want to personally review it here, and very critically as well.  If after all this time, there are any real issues with the game, people should know about it.  However, it seems like at the very least, it will definitely be an enjoyable game.

I have been in the beta for a little while (not since the start though), and can say at least the game works, but it hardly does anything new or different in comparison to other games, like World in Conflict or even Dawn of War 1 with their requisition economy, discouraging opponents from turtling.  

Also, I personally dislike the fact that they did not bother to improve the user interface in the game at all, and thus leave a nice chunk of the screen filled with it.  Not the biggest gripe, but it is a clear sign that they were somehow compelled to keep that game from being different.  One other thing is something I made a thread about, and that is they changed some things seemingly to artificially differentiate normal players from experienced ones for multi-player, which is disappointing.

Other than that, expect 5-stars and 9+ out of 10's from every gaming magazine, likely due to nostalgia and that it is a Blizzard game.  It is shaping up to be a solid 4-star or 8 out of 10 in my eyes as so far it does nothing new and feels more like a facelift and upgrade of the first game, but that is only my experience with multi-player, and really want to see the single-player side before I make a real judgement.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jayzilla said:

" We should have a poll option of,  "Though I admire Blizzard, I won't support Activision monetarily for obvious reasons".  "

No, I like the poll as it is, with options that make sense. Because if this is the banner you get behind, boycotting big game companies which only punishes the individual developers, you should reevaluate your life.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By granderojo

I played a lot of the first game when it came out, then took a break from all RTS's and now I'm assimilating back into them. I've played the beta on and off for the past couple months and I look at it less as having a fun experience and more of how Dave talked about EVE on the last podcast, It's like sitting down with a philosophy book. 

I've been focusing less of winning and just getting my macro game down with basic attack builds mostly with Terrans but I do alternate to Zerg from time to time. I figure that once I can get my macro tuned, then I can start to try better strategies and more complex builds. 

Day 1 for sure if not only for UMS. Someone has already made final fantasy mockup with the UMS and that's just with the Beta. Usually when you hear a studio of Blizzard's talent spend 7 years working on something at cost of over 100 million dollars, you usually say to yourself, I bet that game is worth my money.

Potango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Potango

I'm in this all the way, i already told everyone i care about now to get worried when i disappear for a few months.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Another question could be, is anyone getting an overseas copy of StarCraft 2? stupid region locking!

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By rhodric

digital download. i wish i could play at midnight tho. :(

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By defaulttag
    hell yes. but not day one. i'm out of town away from my gaming pc. this pc i'm using is off limits for gaming (it's not mine). but once i'm home, starcraft II is my priority
    Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Zembosis

Nope, unless either Blizzard breaks away from Activision or Tim Schafer becomes CEO of Activision.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By lead_farmer

First I gotta get a PC that has the power to run it.  That might take awhile.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Zembosis said:
    " Nope, unless either Blizzard breaks away from Activision or Tim Schafer becomes CEO of Activision. "
    Oh come on, Activision has no control over Blizzard.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By s7evn

I'll probably pick it up when I find time.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By sopranosfan

Nope, I refuse to give Bobby Kotick any of my money.  I have no problem with people that do but I am not going to do it.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

I want to but I have never played through the original and I will never get into the multiplayer so I'm not sure if its worth it

Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zembosis
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Zembosis said:

" Nope, unless either Blizzard breaks away from Activision or Tim Schafer becomes CEO of Activision. "
    Oh come on, Activision has no control over Blizzard. "
     Buying the game will add to Activision's coffers. I will not support Activision in any way.   Also Activision may not have direct control but I'm sure there are degrees of influence.  
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " They delayed it to much for my tastes. Then saying that each race will have a septate disk?....so we gotta wait another year for Zerg? Then another for Protoss? Then pay full price for them....no thanks. Not till its cheaper.  "
    Actually they are in the first game and I'm buying this game cause I have been waiting for a new RTS for a long time.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By grilledcheez

Not until I get my new computer...hopefully around when college starts up again.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ISuperGamerI said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " They delayed it to much for my tastes. Then saying that each race will have a septate disk?....so we gotta wait another year for Zerg? Then another for Protoss? Then pay full price for them....no thanks. Not till its cheaper.  "
    Actually they are in the first game and I'm buying this game cause I have been waiting for a new RTS for a long time. "
    I am talking about the campaign. Each race will have its own entire disk. 
    Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By Wess

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ryanwho
    @The_Laughing_Man: Each race will get a campaign the length of the original game. Not sure what your complaint is. All the races are in multiplayer and the campaign is as big as the first game's.  You're complaining that the Terran campaign is 3 times as long as the previous one? Its a very specific thing to seek out, your desire for a truncated Terran campaign so you can play truncated Zerg and Protoss campaign right now this moment.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ryanwho said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Each race will get a campaign the length of the original game. Not sure what your complaint is. All the races are in multiplayer and the campaign is as big as the first game's.  You're complaining that the Terran campaign is 3 times as long as the previous one? Its a very specific thing to seek out, your desire for a truncated Terran campaign so you can play truncated Zerg and Protoss campaign right now this moment. "
    I am saying that I expect the next two to take a wile. Since this one took quite a wile to make. I know they will be nice and long. I am just saying the long wait time is gonna annoy me. 
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By DanielJW

I have zero interest in this, or any other strategy game. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ryanwho

Like when a good TV show splits a season. Oh I get that. I just think it will probably be more painful to wait 3 or 4 years for the whole thing. I imagine mods and such will occupy a bit of the interval time.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By GunnBjorn

I wait until they've all come out and will be packed in a bundle.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ryanwho said:
    " Like when a good TV show splits a season. Oh I get that. I just think it will probably be more painful to wait 3 or 4 years for the whole thing. I imagine mods and such will occupy a bit of the interval time. "
    Ya. It took how long just to make the first one? Granted chances are the other two will be faster since they will not have to balance the units and in fact design them. But it will take some time. Unless they are working on them like right now. 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By c1337us

I doubt it. Definitely not right away though but I'll never say never.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryanwho

The single player campaign requires significantly less balance than the multi or so I've been told. The multi is what they constantly patch, and that aspect will probably not be changing all that much from the next two games. That is, I don't imagine them adding 20 new units per side to multi each release, or anything like that that would take a ton of time to calibrate. Basically, when they decided single player and multiplayer would be balanced separately they made everything a million times easier. Its just going to be single player and maybe a few new multiplayer modes, or something. So it could take a lot less time. But I wouldn't count on that unless Activision decide to crack the whip, which would be insane of them.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Cataphract1014

I would say earlier 2012 for SC2: Zerg and then late 2013 for SC2: Protoss

Day 1 for me, and it is going to be torture.  I have class starting a 9am, at noon I got an two hour break for lunch where I am going to go pick it up and install it, and then it is back to class for another 4 hours.

GOD DAMN IT NEEDS TO BE TUESDAY NIGHT!  I wasn't even this excited for Mass Effect 2, and that is by far my favorite game of the year so far.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Nope.  My PC is shit, can't run it.  I can't even run Alien Swarm or WoW on Ultra settings.  

I would if I could, thoe.  Would love to!  Looks awesome.  SO I guess my vote is completely misleading. 

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, CE ordered first day it was announced.  As long as the ups guy doesn't steal it, should be playin first day.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By webby

Just got the pre order in finally for the Collectors Edition. Can't wait.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KaosAngel

^^^^^^Spam dawg.   

MB, CitizenKane, Brad, Hamz, or who ever lurks the thread...this guy is spam.

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TwistedGamer

Collector's Edition! but Gamestop's shipping sucks so i wont get it Tuesday. but i will have the CE guide on Tuesday so i can oogle over the maps & pretty pictures until then.

Avatar image for screaminsilence
    ScreamiNSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ScreamiNSilence

if only i had a gaming computer that can handle the game...stupid cheap laptop...

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Juvarial

Yes? It's been 10 years. How the hell could I not?

Casshern1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Casshern1981

pre-ordered the CE edition, will get it as soon as it drops!

TermlessHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By TermlessHalo

I'm picking it up at midnight release.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pibo47

I can honestly say i wasnt going to get it until i went back and read the starcraft wiki to get a grip on the story. Now i gotta play 2 to see everything that happens.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Possibly. I don't have a lot of time/money to spend on video games right now, so I'll see how the reviews/user reviews of it are. I really enjoyed the first, but it's been awhile since I've given any RTS a substantial amount of time (I think Age of Mythology was the last one? Which was in... holy fuck 2002?!).

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pweidman

Might get mine @ midnight as Gamestop's having a party for it, but I always get too tired and wait for the morning.  I wanna go though just to see the peeps who are so geeked about it,lol.  Can't wait to play through the campaign, and get a grip on the strategies.
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jaserno

Preordered :D

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I plan on getting it day one. I played too much of the beta to not invest the skill somewhere =]

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By phrosnite

I'm only interested in seeing the CGI cut-scenes and playing the SP. I'm not buying it and will wait for discount but it is a none MMO Blizzard game so there WON'T be a discount any time soon( 2 years).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.