Worker Rush in 2v2 WTF

#1 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Okay, my cousin and I just played our seventh game in Silver League, against a team that is ranked Gold, and they actually won by sending all of their workers at us right at the beginning of the game. There's no way you can defend against two players at once if they do that. What the fuck kind of strategy is this? Why would someone even do this? This is not fucking Starcraft!

#2 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

LOL you can beat it with ease as you'll have a better econ and thus, more workers... just gotta work on ur mirco son

...infact HuK held off (on his own) a double worker rush and won it... simply with good micro... its on the TL attack with him... its insane to watch but is a good example of why micro is so important

#3 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

You seem to be forgetting that this 2 vs 2.

That means twice the amount of enemy workers against one player.

Obviously we cannot predict when an opponent is going to attempt this, so we can't exactly throw all of our workers together at the start of the game "just in case". And the alternative, going for a worker rush ourselves all time, well... I might as well quit Starcraft then.

#4 Posted by chilibean_3 (1581 posts) -

That's great!

#5 Posted by Rayeth (1000 posts) -

Your second player should be able to beat both of them using actual units by the time they get to him/her.

A couple marines/zealots/zerglings will trump even a decent number of workers (assuming you take as many out as you can before they overwhelm you).

Alternatively your partner could just counter attack them with the marines/zerglings/zealots and wipe out their buildings as your units do more damage than their workers.

#6 Posted by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

You got cheesed, you lost. This is an all-in strategy for the other team, but it is possible for you to see it coming and/or defend it, and if you had done that, the game would have gone the other way. It's not likely to surprise you again, so just learn from it and keep playing.

#7 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
You seem to be forgetting that this 2 vs 2.  That means twice the amount of enemy workers against one player. 

so don't engage when its 2v1 ...also HuK managed to crush 2x the worker count on a 2v1 worker rush... so you either work on ur micro, get a team mate.. or quit playing starcraft
#8 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

infact if they both go after just you... all u need to do is buy time for your team mate to get some units and you've won.... so... like ... wtf

#9 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@baldgye said:
  infact if they both go after just you... all u need to do is buy time for your team mate to get some units and you've won.... so... like ... wtf
I guess you're right. I'll try this next time.

Still, the amount of cheese in this game. Eish.
#10 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

learning to deal with cheese is key to playing any game online

#11 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

If you don't know this already but Starcraft 2 IS Starcraft. Its not like the game changed to a different style. Worker rush is easy to defend against even with 2v1. As your defending your partner could be building units and attacking them since they now have only 1 worker mining resources. Not hard to defend against if you can micro. Maybe you should 1v1 your friend some beore you challenge people.

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -
@baldgye said:
learning to deal with cheese is key to playing any game online
#13 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@McShank: I'm not disputing that Starcraft 2 is Starcraft. I'm disputing whether using "strategies" such as worker all-ins are playing the game the way it was meant to be played.
#14 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
@McShank: I'm not disputing that Starcraft 2 is Starcraft. I'm disputing whether using "strategies" such as worker all-ins are playing the game the way it was meant to be played.
it is, its just not a smart way to play the game becasue its a terrible strat that shouldn't work.
#15 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@baldgye said:
it is, its just not a smart way to play the game becasue its a terrible strat that shouldn't work.
Well, next time I'll try to make sure it doesn't work. But I'm gonna have to cool down from Starcraft for a bit. It seems our teamwork is shot to hell after a big loss anyway.
#16 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@BombKareshi said:

@baldgye said:
Well, next time I'll try to make sure it doesn't work. But I'm gonna have to cool down from Starcraft for a bit. It seems our teamwork is shot to hell after a big loss anyway.

It's amazing how a loss can affect you. I had a partner once that we had 17 games in a row won, our synergy was amazing. That 18th game, we lost so bad that it almost made our love for the game die for some reason. I guess the higher you rise, the harder you fall right?

#17 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@csoup said:

It's amazing how a loss can affect you. I had a partner once that we had 17 games in a row won, our synergy was amazing. That 18th game, we lost so bad that it almost made our love for the game die for some reason. I guess the higher you rise, the harder you fall right?

Right. The funny thing about that, though, is that we're not even that good. My cousin and I have sort of a love-hate relationship. Plus I have a tendency to take these things too personally. As long as we keep learning and improving, though, I guess that's all that matters.
#18 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

duknow I love 2v2s there is a crazy good build for a P and Z team where you 5gate all in zelot rush by warping in there base, it took me and my friend from 2v2 silver to mid 2v2 masters... shit was so much fun hahaha

#19 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@baldgye said:
there is a crazy good build for a P and Z team where you 5gate all in zelot rush by warping in there base, it took me and my friend from 2v2 silver to mid 2v2 masters... shit was so much fun hahaha
See, this is why I think I'm taking the game too seriously. I just don't see the fun in that.
#20 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
@baldgye said:
there is a crazy good build for a P and Z team where you 5gate all in zelot rush by warping in there base, it took me and my friend from 2v2 silver to mid 2v2 masters... shit was so much fun hahaha
See, this is why I think I'm taking the game too seriously. I just don't see the fun in that.
to fuck with people
#21 Posted by Shin (11 posts) -

Happened to me in 2v2 about an hour ago, was some silver team and I was playing with a random. It was a pretty easy win for us. As they sent their workers to us right at the start we had about 2-3 workers more than them by the time they reached our base and all we had to do was engage and pull away for a while, letting one person mine a little then attack and such. I wasn't expecting it to happen so the surprise factor gave them a slight advantage for the first few seconds but then just out micro'd them.

#22 Posted by csl316 (7344 posts) -

@csoup said:

@BombKareshi said:

@baldgye said:

Happened to me and my buddy early on. We were basically unstoppable with our reaper/zergling rush, back when reaper speed didn't require a factory. Then we imploded after one of the patches... but we soldiered on! And eventually we learned how to win 2v2's legitimately (as in, stick the hell together).

#23 Edited by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

welcome to starcraft. you will encounter an insane amount of cheese. you will get mad. it will suck and you might quit. but eventually youll see how to beat cheesers. then its all worth it.

edit: also losing sucks. i can only play a few games a day because i feel so much pressure and stress to not lose. even when i go on a 4 game win streak i have to stop playing because the stress feels horrible.

#24 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

If it was all their workers they aren't mining, you'll have enough forewarning to run all your workers away until your partner gets there, in which case you'll do fine cause you'd both have more workers.

#25 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I faced this exact thing in 2v2 tonight funnily enough. But this time our opponents were platinum and low diamond. 

However, all we had to do was buy time till we both got a zealot out. Once the zealots were out, it was basically a free win. 

Its just a case of buying time till you get proper units out ;)

#26 Posted by Elbon (366 posts) -

Day 9 rule of 2v2: die as slowly as you can

#27 Posted by csl316 (7344 posts) -

This actually reminds me of a post I put on Gamefaqs after constantly losing to huntress rushes in Warcraft III back in the day. Literally the same complaint. "This isn't Warcraft!!" i said.

This community's much nicer. They all called me fucking retarded for 5 pages.

#28 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@baldgye said:
to fuck with people
Exactly. I just can't get behind troll logic.

@Elbon said:
I'll have to remember that. When I see cheese I just feel like rage quitting sometimes.

@csl316 said:

I've seen that kind of thing happen here too.
#29 Posted by GuyIncognito (438 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
Okay, my cousin and I just played our seventh game in Silver League, against a team that is ranked Gold, and they actually won by sending all of their workers at us right at the beginning of the game. There's no way you can defend against two players at once if they do that. What the fuck kind of strategy is this? Why would someone even do this? This is not fucking Starcraft!
Fight together or die together.
#30 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
@baldgye said:
to fuck with people
Exactly. I just can't get behind troll logic.

@Elbon said:
I'll have to remember that. When I see cheese I just feel like rage quitting sometimes.

@csl316 said:

I've seen that kind of thing happen here too.
its not 'troll logic' its having fun with a game. Team games are no serious... the game isn't balanced around 2v2 or anything other than 1v1... so who cares if you win or loose... when me and my mate got into 2v2 masters our 5gate all-in mostly failed so we started playing around with random nonsense... and mostly lost but we still had fun... winning in team games dsnt matter at all its all about having fun.
#31 Posted by Ben_H (3199 posts) -

Not as baller as the 6pool where one person instantly leaves the game (so you get 50 minerals + their income) and get a pool started insanely fast. 

There was a stream on TL of 2 guys worker rushing every game.  They got to I believe it was diamond doing only worker rushes.

#32 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
Not as baller as the 6pool where one person instantly leaves the game (so you get 50 minerals + their income) and get a pool started insanely fast.  There was a stream on TL of 2 guys worker rushing every game.  They got to I believe it was diamond doing only worker rushes.
me and my mate went from 2v2 silver to 2v2 masters in around 20-25 games... with the 5gate zelot all-in+6pool
#33 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

this is why i only play nexus wars on starcraft online

#34 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -

starcraft isn't really balanced for team games. IMO, the more team mates there are, the stronger a push like this is. it's also why massing anything is such a potent strat in team games.  

But then, I only play 1v1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.