Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft

Franchise »

The best-selling popular PC series developed by Blizzard Entertainment follows the intergalactic struggle between the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss.

Does the Starcraft AI cheat?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jmrwacko

I'm playing as Terran against Terran AI now to try and train up for multiplayer, and I keep getting out-matched in the initial ground battle, even though I'm doing the correct build order and micro'ing my SCVs. By the time I first have up my academy, the AI is already at my expansion with 12 marines and 3 or 4 medics. Should I be losing to the AI, or do I just fail? It's one of the brood war maps, so I'm guessing the AI is scripted, but I'm wondering if it's cheating with resources and build times as well.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

The Starcraft CPU can naturally micromanage better than most, if not all human players. They also don't have Fog of War, and know exactly where you are.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane
    @ricetopher said:
    "CPU can naturally micromanage better than most, if not all human players. They also don't have Fog of War, and know exactly where you are.  "

Really? No Fog huh? That would explain a lot. 

The SC AI can be pretty damn brutal at times. Never play against multiple AI on the same team. If i remember correctly, there's no way to set the difficulty on it either. I'm quite sure it's nto cheating though, at least, technically it's not. Except that fog of war thing, and the fact that it can do things so much faster than a human.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Semition

I believe Starcraft AI gets to build buildings for free but still need to spend resources on units. That being said, unless you have a custom AI, you shouldn't be out-massed that badly.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ricetopher
    @Shirogane: I'm not 100% positive but from some replays I've watched of me doing 1v1's against the AI to test that theory, the CPU would make a beeline to my base without having ventured anywhere near my base before.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane
    @ricetopher:
    Yeah, having played against teamed up AI before, and having all of them send zerglings to my base, at the exact same time, pretty much as soon as you can get them built, i'd say the theory is warranted.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Im pretty sure the No fog of War for AI is a myth, as far as I know thats just an old competitive gamers tale, the AI must have some sort of visual limitation, otherwise the AI would auto attack from outside your Line of Sight. Everytime I play an RTS I think "The AI must be able to see what Im doing" to myself but I haven't seen anything to prove it. 

Normally the AI can cheat in that it is given a higher handicap for resources than at lower difficultys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.