Starhawk Rumored No More, Coming Sometime in 2012

Posted by patrickklepek (4540 posts) -

Starhawk has been rumored for ages now, with several E3s having come and gone without nary a mention of its existence. No longer. Unlike Modern Warfare 3, Sony was actually able to officially announce their project. Basically a sci-fi Warhawk, the new title is in development at LightBox Interactive, and scheduled for release next year.

Unlike Warhawk, Starhawk is not a multiplayer-only experience, with Sony and LightBox promising a "full-fledged" single-player mode. At one point, Warhawk was going to have a campaign (remember the teaser?) but development stumbles found that on the wayside, in favor of emphasizing multiplayer.

Some of the original rumors about Starhawk suggested players would be quickly transitioning between land and space-based battles, but the press release points towards more grounded confrontations, while calling in reinforcements from a drop ship in the sky. The battle environment itself is dynamic, with the ability to drop buildings, vehicles and weapons in real-time. LightBox is calling this Build & Battle.

There are plenty of options, both offline and online, too. Up to 32 players can fight simultaneously, with up to four-player online and offline co-op, and even though most games have ditched the feature, Starhawk will include split-screen. As one of the few still using split-screen, thank you, LightBox.

I wonder when we might learn more about Starhawk? Oh yeah, that E3 thing.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4540 posts) -

Starhawk has been rumored for ages now, with several E3s having come and gone without nary a mention of its existence. No longer. Unlike Modern Warfare 3, Sony was actually able to officially announce their project. Basically a sci-fi Warhawk, the new title is in development at LightBox Interactive, and scheduled for release next year.

Unlike Warhawk, Starhawk is not a multiplayer-only experience, with Sony and LightBox promising a "full-fledged" single-player mode. At one point, Warhawk was going to have a campaign (remember the teaser?) but development stumbles found that on the wayside, in favor of emphasizing multiplayer.

Some of the original rumors about Starhawk suggested players would be quickly transitioning between land and space-based battles, but the press release points towards more grounded confrontations, while calling in reinforcements from a drop ship in the sky. The battle environment itself is dynamic, with the ability to drop buildings, vehicles and weapons in real-time. LightBox is calling this Build & Battle.

There are plenty of options, both offline and online, too. Up to 32 players can fight simultaneously, with up to four-player online and offline co-op, and even though most games have ditched the feature, Starhawk will include split-screen. As one of the few still using split-screen, thank you, LightBox.

I wonder when we might learn more about Starhawk? Oh yeah, that E3 thing.

Staff
#2 Edited by Speaker4TheDead (77 posts) -

Wow...the one time I don't try to get it...

#3 Posted by Ockman (194 posts) -

meh, whoop de doo. I don't care.

#4 Posted by UrbanGt (17 posts) -

looks great

#5 Posted by Marcsman (3195 posts) -

Not too sure about this new direction " The Hawk" franchise is heading towards.

We will see

#6 Posted by csl316 (8649 posts) -

Bad ass, loved warhawk

#7 Posted by TheMeat (63 posts) -

Looks awesome so far.  Can't wait to play the finished product!

#8 Posted by Sanj (2387 posts) -

Oh man, really hope there are space battles in this. 

#9 Posted by Sammo21 (3275 posts) -

The game play actually looks pretty stellar as do the visuals.  Again, Sony keeps adding to the first party awesomeness.  Hopefully Microsoft actually starts doing some non-Halo/Gears stuff sooner than later...

#10 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

It looks a lot like Red Faction. I thought I was going to be more excited about this announcement.

PC gaming has spoiled me.
#11 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

That soldier on the ground is probably shitting himself right now.

#12 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

Warhawk is a game I really liked but also completely forgot existed. 

#13 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Star Fox sequel?

#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Saw this yesterday. Warhawk had some of the best dogfights and vehicle combat out there, and seeing them take it to the next level has me salivating. Can't wait!

#15 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Warhawk was severely underrated.

#16 Edited by PKHilson (205 posts) -

INTENSITY!

edit: Even more intense is the fact that I got the "first" quest with comment number 14!!!

:D  BUGZ!!
#17 Posted by mrv321 (258 posts) -

I loved Warhawk, this should be brilliant to.

#18 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

From the description (being able to call in various drops), it sounds sounds a little like S8:P.

Which has an absolutely stellar multiplayer, in case anyone didn't know.
#19 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Warhawk is a game I really liked but also completely forgot existed.  "
It's a game I always meant to give a chance but never did. I remember enjoying the demo.
#20 Posted by Zor (656 posts) -

Hmm... 32 players seems kind of low for a game like this. And by this, i mean fps games that try to do a war setting. Although this does remind me, that i should pick up MAG one of these days, once psn is back... 

#21 Posted by Jackel2072 (2259 posts) -

after seeing that video last night. i love to see more from this. 

#22 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

Dude I am so fucking happy about this news!!!
I can't wait man, its going to be fucking epic

Warhawk was such a gem on the early PSN. 

Playing it online with four player split-screen was amazing
#23 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" Dude I am so fucking happy about this news!!!

I can't wait man, its going to be fucking epic
"
Bro! Can you feel it brO!? CAN YOU FEEL THIS INTENSITY!?
#24 Posted by Hef (1115 posts) -

I loved warhawk on PS3.  I can't wait to see their take on space battles.  Maybe it'll be like Wing Commander but good.

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

The third one is going to be called Tonyhawk.

#26 Posted by Applederp (116 posts) -

Too bad PSN won't be up by the time of release

#27 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -

Coop? Sweet!

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

The franchise has gone from War to Star.

#29 Edited by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

Sounds Like Section 8 Prejudice. But better.

#30 Posted by Swinghi (142 posts) -

So the question becomes, can I drop a building on my enemies?

#31 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

Brilliant time to announce this.  I can't even play Warhawk for all intensive purposes, but now they want to be buy into an online-only game Playstation-only game.... yeah, I will wait and see... :|

#32 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@WickedCobra03 said:
" Brilliant time to announce this.  I can't even play Warhawk for all intensive purposes, but now they want to be buy into an online-only game Playstation-only game.... yeah, I will wait and see... :| "
Who said it was online only? It has a single player too.
#33 Posted by mosdef (177 posts) -

They should have went for the entire theft and just went SilverHawk.  30+ guys know what's up.

#34 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -
@Zor: I missed mag tbh. AS for Starhawk, maybe I will enjoy this game more than warhawk. I hated that game.
#35 Posted by Andorski (5308 posts) -
@Swinghi said:
" So the question becomes, can I drop a building on my enemies? "
Yup.  Been confirmed in previews on other sites.  GTTV has a small clip where someone dropped a barricade on a mech.
#36 Posted by artofwar420 (6289 posts) -

I really loved Warhawk on the PS3, I played the crap out of that and even bought all the DLC. Hope this one is a continuation of that awesomeness. 

#37 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

I enjoyed warhawk a lot. I hope this one turns out to be good.

#38 Posted by Marz (5651 posts) -

hmmm....  Warhawk -> Starhawk

Warcraft -> Starcraft

Just ignore this post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.